Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/15/2014 10:57:49 AM EDT
Hello all, Like many i was raised cleaning my rifle bore with a brush and patches. But I just bought a few boresnakes but I'm not sure if I am using them correctly. I usually start by spraying some bore cleaner down the bore. And follow that up by pulling the snake through the barrel. I repeat the process 3 or 4 times. Is that good? Am I doing it wrong? Is there any advice you pros can give me?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I usually put some solvent on the brass bristles and a little oil on the end of it. The say one pull is like 100 patches , something like that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought they were the end all be all of barrel care until I ran a brass brush, one piece rod, and patches through what I thought was a clean rifle.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Boresnakes have their place but they will not remove copper fouling and only a minimum amount of carbon. Use a one piece rod, nylon brush and quality solvent.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a bore snake and I hate using it. It doesn't clean the bore at all. I stick to a one piece rod and brushes and patches myself.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I typically put some Hoppe's 9 on the bristle end or just before the bristles and after a few passes would put some oil on the tail end.

Ideal would be run a patch soaked with solvent and let it sit, then use the snake, but if you are using patches with a rod/cable it takes away from the main benefit of the snake, which is convenience.
As others posted above, I got disillusioned after passing a patch (with or without solvent/oil) after boresnaking and was surprised how dirty it came out.
They are good for quick cleanings at the range.  

They will get the bore as clean or cleaner than you NEED it to be, but if you really like to get your bore clean regular patches/brushes with a rod or cable (like Otis) I think works better.

ETA: for OP, what you are doing sounds perfectly fine.  I normally add a little oil at the end.  On chrome lines barrels there should be no need to do so, but it is a habit I got into where I like all metal in my guns to have a light coat of oil.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#6]
More rifles are ruined by overzealous rod cleaning than anything else.I use the boresnake quite a bit and only breakout the rods a few times a year.

There's a bit of debate on the merits of a cold bore shot vs shooting after a "fouling shot" but a lot of high power rifle shooter swear their rifles shoot better with a slightly dirty bore than a cold clean bore. Frankly most of us won't ever know the difference between a super clean barrel and one that's a bit dirty.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I typically put some Hoppe's 9 on the bristle end or just before the bristles and after a few passes would put some oil on the tail end.

Ideal would be run a patch soaked with solvent and let it sit, then use the snake, but if you are using patches with a rod/cable it takes away from the main benefit of the snake, which is convenience.
As others posted above, I got disillusioned after passing a patch (with or without solvent/oil) after boresnaking and was surprised how dirty it came out.

They will get the bore as clean or cleaner than you NEED it to be, but if you really like to get your bore clean regular patches/brushes with a rod or cable (like Otis) I think works better.

ETA: for OP, what you are doing sounds perfectly fine.  I normally add a little oil at the end.  On chrome lines barrels there should be no need to do so, but it is a habit I got into where I like all metal in my guns to have a light coat of oil.
View Quote

Thanks so much for the advice. i too was a bit "disillusioned" when I passed my patch through after several passes with the snake. But it wasn't super dirty. To clear up one point. After I clean my bore, either with a snake or rods, I always soak a mop with lube oil and run it down the bore just to have a nice layer of oil.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
More rifles are ruined by overzealous rod cleaning than anything else.I use the boresnake quite a bit and only breakout the rods a few times a year.

There's a bit of debate on the merits of a cold bore shot vs shooting after a "fouling shot" but a lot of high power rifle shooter swear their rifles shoot better with a slightly dirty bore than a cold clean bore. Frankly most of us won't ever know the difference between a super clean barrel and one that's a bit dirty.
View Quote

I agree.  The least of my problems is my groups being off by an 1" at 100meters because my barrel is grey and not silver.  Shoot ir, clean it, shoot it again.  The cleaning should not take longer than the shooting!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks so much for the advice. i too was a bit "disillusioned" when I passed my patch through after several passes with the snake. But it wasn't super dirty. To clear up one point. After I clean my bore, either with a snake or rods, I always soak a mop with lube oil and run it down the bore just to have a nice layer of oil.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make sure you patch the oil out before you shoot. You don't want oil in the chamber. I just pull a dry patch with my Otis cable and forget about it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I have two snakes for each caliber. I soak one is cleaner and one with oil. I store them in zip loc bags. Otis came out with their "rip cord" they are half the price of a snake and they allow you to attach a patch puller or a brush and they fit a lot tighter than a snake.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top