Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2014 7:03:52 PM EDT
I'm curious if anyone else has had the same experience with the Froglube company.  We have several guns in our collection (my sister and I) and the one thing that we hate is the smell of the cleaning supplies so I've been researching Froglube for quite awhile. I know a lot of guys don't mind the smell but we hate it and even though we clean the guns in the garage the smell permeates everything in there for several days afterwards and every time we open the door into the house the smell goes all through it too.  I thought Froglube might be the answer but I didn't want to jump in without trying it out on a small scale first.

So, about two months ago I contacted Froglube and asked if I could get a sample kit.  There's only one "dealer" listed in my whole city and it's on the complete other side which is difficult for me since I have a disability.  I got a Email back from a guy named Larry Lasky who said he'd be happy to send me a sample kit and thanked me for my interest and the usual stuff.  He and carbon copied/forwarded the request to someone else in the company named "Ryan" instructing him to send me a sample kit.  That guy asked me to verify my address, which I did, and said he would send the sample right out and I thanked him for the samples..  After a couple weeks I hadn't received anything so I contacted them to see if they had sent it and maybe it got lost along the way (our USPS is terrible here).  I got another Email apologizing for them not sending it out yet and he was out of the office but on his way back at that moment and would ship the samples as soon as he got to the office.  I thanked him again and waited for the sample to arrive.  After another week and a half or so it still hadn't arrived so I emailed them and asked if they could check and see if it had been sent and maybe got lost in the mail but I got no response.  After a couple more weeks it still hadn't arrived so I emailed one more time to ask about the sample but, again, no response.

I was really confused, it didn't make sense, why tell someone you would send them a sample and then not do it when it's going to cause you to lose business? If they sent it and it got lost why wouldn't they just say they sent it and they don't know what happened after that.  It just didn't make sense so then I started looking around and I saw other cases of people who had the same experience.  So I'm curious, since so many people here have dealt with Froglube, if anyone here has had similar issues with them not sending samples after agreeing to?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:39:52 AM EDT
[#1]
This really can't be too expensive for you to order yourself, can it?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/613891/froglube-clp-bio-based-cleaner-lubricant-and-preservative-5-ml-paste?cm_vc=U112
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:44:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Never asked for a sample, but using the actual product I have been nothing but happy. I only clean my guns every 1000 rounds or so regardless of how dirty they get, only with the exception of corrosive ammo. Even at that, I've let a mosin sit for a week after shooting 120 rounds of corrosive, no rust, froglube did its job well.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/613891/froglube-clp-bio-based-cleaner-lubricant-and-preservative-5-ml-paste?cm_vc=U112
View Quote

That's not the point is it? And, to answer your question, irrelevant as it is.  I'm disabled and haven't had an income for the last several years, so yes, I do have to watch every dime I spend.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Bore Tech Eliminator for a solvent and Bore Tech Friction Guard for gun oil. Zero smell and it works very well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:05:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's not the point is it? And, to answer your question, irrelevant as it is.  I'm disabled and haven't had an income for the last several years, so yes, I do have to watch every dime I spend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you can't afford a $2 tube of CLP but you can afford to shoot? That makes sense...
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:29:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So you can't afford a $2 tube of CLP but you can afford to shoot? That makes sense...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet there's an AutoZone close by.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, ah never mind.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:05:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You really are dense aren't you?  I haven't been out to shoot in about six months since your curious but on those occasions that I do get a chance to go and shoot I make the best of it and shoot several of my guns.  As for "affording" to shoot, it probably didn't cross your mind that it doesn't cost anything except ammo and I only shoot what little I have in stock so, no, it doesn't cost anything.  Please don't troll the thread.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:06:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AutoZone sells Froglube?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Mobil 1, 7 or 8 bucks a quart, as opposed to 7 or 8 bucks a 4 oz bottle for Breakfree, FP-10, etc. Works as good or better. Hell, get some cheap dino oil even for half that. It works inside your motor's cylinders in a much hotter and more stressful situation the bolt travelling back and forth in your AR. Think how hot it is in there and how fast that piston is moving up and down in there at around 5 or 6 thousand RPM. Full of detergents and additives to fight heat, friction, dirt, etc.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:39:50 AM EDT
[#11]
My primary problems with Froglube are the impossibility of re-lubing in stride, and it's extremely poor cold weather performance.

When cost is added into it, it starts to seem like a bad joke.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:45:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Mobil 1 is the shiznit. I've been using it on ARs and 1911s for years. Several years there I was heavy into IDPA matches and me and a buddy would shoot pistols two or three times a week after work, and get to at least one or two matches on the weekends every month. Before this phase I was always the type to do a thorough, "white glove inspection ready" cleaning of any gun every time it was used.
Working full time, raising kids, and going to the range two or three times a week to shoot a few hundred rounds at a time, I got over the "spotless cleaning after every use" routine. We figured out any decent sidearm (or tactical rifle) will get along just fine with just a basic field strip, wiping off the worst of the grit, run a patch down the bore, and relubing with some Mobil one until the next go round. Every couple/three months or so before a match I would do a real breakdown/thorough scrub and relube with Mobile 1. Replace recoil springs every 2-3 thousand rounds. We used this maintenance schedule with several 1911's and a couple of CZ-75s and all of them would run 100% reliable. Same story with my ARs albeit with not quite so extreme use.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:48:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Froglube is essentially Crisco. But hey, it's zombie green and smells like a peppermint.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#14]
You know what it's Christmas, OP send me an IM and I will send you a sample tube...local store has them on the counter and it will give me an excuse to go by there.

Froglube is good stuff, you need to clean off the old lube and heat up the metal.  When the metal is hot, apply the FL and wipe off the excess.  Follow the instructions.  After I shoot and the barrels are still warm, I pour a little down the barrel.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#15]
FL is always a hot switch around all the boards for some reason.  I love it but that's just me and I use Hoppes on guns that I don't use FL on with great success.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#16]

This place will send you a sample of their product and has great customer service.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#17]
enough
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top