Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2014 2:05:31 PM EDT
I am relatively new here but have been reading all I can and I thank you all for that.  I have been using CLP (actual name) on my AR and when it dries a couple of days later there is a gummy substance left behind.  Just cleaned the carbine and re-lubed.  I have been shooting and reloading for over 40 years so I am not new at this just new to ARs and CLP.  

Should I let it go another couple of days and then clean and switch lubes.  Is CLP by name the best to use?  I use Remington oil on my other guns and Ballistol on all of my cowboy guns and have never had this problem before.  Any suggestions from this well versed group?

Thanks in advance, Lead Foot
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Shake the CLP bottle a lot before using it.  The contents settle and need to be mixed up.  Some people drop a few small ball bearings into the bottle to help the mixing process.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The  coating you are referring to is teflon. It's a good thing, it provides extended lubrication and protection. Just don't overdo it. Light coat is all it takes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:40:13 AM EDT
[#3]
CLP is a generic term these days,although it was a copy right of Break Free for several decades,may still be.
There should be a brand name on the bottle like "Safariland Break Free CLP" etc..
What does your bottle/can say?

Ive never seen Break Free CLP or similar products form a "gummy" residue,PTFE/teflon or not.Should just be a modest oily film similar to what any light oil leaves on your guns.

On the other hand,Ballistol,if applied heavily will form/leave a light vaseline like film on the gun parts once the alcohols evaporate off....reacts to moderate heat/touch of a finger and returns to oil form.I soak my round ball patches in Ballistol and let air for a couple days and use it as a patch lube for this reason,and its very effective as such,by the way..
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#4]
The CLP is Safariland.  I did not realize that CLP was not the brand name but generic.  Learn something all the time.

Lead Foot
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I never understood putting a cleaner in the same bottle as a lubricant  
Most people don't know that Breakfree makes a LP. I used Hoppes #9 and the LP for many years. A couple years ago I was laid up after a surgery for a couple weeks so I began researching the hundreds of lubricants that are available nowadays, many use lubes made for vehicles and not firearms.
After learning more about cleaners and lubricants than any person should ever learn, I decided to switch all my cleaning and lubrication over to Mil-Comm products and I haven't looked back. It isn't cheap, but quality seldom is, I highly recommend folks to give Mil-Comm a try. The more you use it the less friction will be present. I have 3 P228's, one gets carried daily and shot monthly and cleaned after shooting and the other two are safe queens. The one that is my EDC is obviously slicker than the other two that sit in the safe. This stuff works, and it was designed as a lubricant for full auto machine guns, not designed to be used in an engine.  I will keep my motor oil in my motor thank you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The CLP is Safariland.  I did not realize that CLP was not the brand name but generic.  Learn something all the time.

Lead Foot
View Quote

Yeap.Wasn't trying to lecture,just nail down which one you had.
The PTFE sludge thats mentioned would be a gray/white color or would just give a textured surface on polished metal.I haven't seen that happen since the late 90's early 00's.Formula changed in around 2000-2001.
Anyway if you are getting gummy residue with Safariland/Break free CLP I'd give them a call and run it past the tech.Only time Ive seen Break Free CLP become gummy was when mixed with a solvent like Hoppe's No.9 and once with some 1970's LSA,and Ive used the Break Free since about 1985 approx..

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Again, I thank you all for the advice and recommendations.  I will give Safariland a call on Monday and look up  Mil-Comm and find a local supplier.  Since I also have a whole lot of Ballistol I will give it a try to see how it works.  I know it works on my other pistols, revolvers and rifles.  It would be great if it works on the AR.  I sure have found out a whole lot about ARs and as most of you know, the AR has more places to keep lubed than just about anything else.  With what I shoot none come close.

Thanks again, Lead Foot
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes make sure you shake it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you near Charlotte OP?  

If so I have some genuine Break Free CLP (about half a gallon) and could fill up a small bottle for you.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the refill offer.  Already have had a refill from a local RTP shooter.

I believe I found out the problem, thanks again to you all.  I shook the heck out of my bottle and the concern has reduced.  The "Dry Area" from the re-lube has done the trick.  I always shake up any liquid I use but not to the level I did this CLP.  Again I say no matter how old you are you can learn every day if you listen and ask the correct questions.

Thanks to all, Lead Foot
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top