Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/3/2014 3:40:57 PM EDT
I just got a melonite barrel. Is there anything special you should do or not do with one for care and cleaning?
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
CLEAN AS NORMAL.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just got a melonite barrel. Is there anything special you should do or not do with one for care and cleaning?
View Quote

Umm...its melonite.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:56:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Bought a melonited barrel and the guy said that as a break in procedure I had to heat treat the barrel by firing 15 rounds at 1 round per second then let the barrel cool to the touch. Repeat 3 more times for a total of 60 rounds. Any ideas on this?
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:06:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Bought a melonited barrel and the guy said that as a break in procedure I had to heat treat the barrel by firing 15 rounds at 1 round per second then let the barrel cool to the touch. Repeat 3 more times for a total of 60 rounds. Any ideas on this?
View Quote
Was he also trying to sell you ammo?

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:08:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a melonite/QPQ barrel from both Aero and AR15 Performance.

Neither have any such instructions.  If that were truly needed for such barrels I would definitely think the guys at AR15 Performance would have instructions on their web page and/or shipped with the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's only one proven barrel break in procedure

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't use Bullfrog on the barrel. It will discolor melonite finish.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Don't use Bullfrog on the barrel. It will discolor melonite finish.
View Quote

Oh I've heard this mentioned more than several times.  The Bullshit, er frog really isn't needed anyways.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Personally running a Glock G22 (40 S&W chamber) for about 25 years with NO lube or oil on the outside of the slide, and living on the shore of the Gulf of Mexico in an area that also sees a lot of rainfall, and seeing NO rust whatsover, and not seeing any on the slides of other Glocks, I'd say that it would be extremely difficult (although not impossible) to get surface corrosoin on a melonite treated steel barrel.  

I have one on my AR, and do nothing to it other than removal of barrel fowling.  No treatment for rust.   I don't think there is any way to make them rust beyond deliberately submerging it in high saline saltwater or some kind of strong acid for very long periods of time.

You can wipe it down  the exterior with the oil of your choice for cosmetic purposes if you like, but that it as far as the exterior surface is concerned.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol no he didn't try to sell me ammo. He just legitimately believed the melonite needed heat treating.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#12]
FWIW, I have an upper from Hardened Arms with a melonite barrel throughout. Until I ran 5+ mags through it, it shot 1ft. groups at 100 yards. Now down to 2 inches.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:39:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

You may want to inform him that the Meloniting process is around 750-1000 *F. He must know of some SERIOUSLY "hot" loads!

More about Meloniting/QPQ/Tennifer treatments:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritic_nitrocarburizing
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:00:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Idiots abound. Especially at gun stores and gun shows.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top