Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 3:47:23 PM EDT
First of all, please don't waste your time if you're going to post "you don't need a tool." This is for my girlfriend who has hand strength issues.

I have owned the Brownells tool for years, and it's okay, but the rubber coating tears pretty easily. We bought a cheapie at Academy Sports that got so bent out of shape with its first use that it went right in the trash.

Those of you who use or have used the tool to compress the delta ring and remove/replace the handguards, which one do you recommend?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to ask yourself just how many handguard changes will be made in the lifetime of the firearm. I use a screwdriver.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I got some tool that has 2 gasline rubber coatted rods and a hook to fit in the mag well.  It works, but I've also used big blue channel locks with the same effect on slip and delta rings

Try the buddie system it is free
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never had an issue just using my hands. Wrap some electrical tape around the Brownells tool you have. It's not going to be used very often.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
First of all, please don't waste your time if you're going to post "you don't need a tool." This is for my girlfriend who has hand strength issues.

I have owned the Brownells tool for years, and it's okay, but the rubber coating tears pretty easily. We bought a cheapie at Academy Sports that got so bent out of shape with its first use that it went right in the trash.

Those of you who use or have used the tool to compress the delta ring and remove/replace the handguards, which one do you recommend?
View Quote

How about throwing some heavy duty heatshrink tubing of the brownell's tool?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#5]
The handle end of those big blue channel lock pliers. The ones with the long handles and adjustable jaws widths.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:41:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I would do it for my girlfriend.

Then again, that would piss off my wife!

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top