Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2014 4:50:15 PM EDT
I usually clean the chromed portion of my AK pistons by submerging the fouled part in a container of Simple Green piston down. Today I tried it with my ar15 bolt carrier by completely submerging it in a bowl of of Simple Green. It wasnt too fouled and probably didnt warrant such an in depth cleaning, but it helped get alot of the hardened crud out. I dont get to shoot this particular rifle very often, so I figured Id get the bolt carrier sparkly clean. Ive read that because its water based, and also due to some other chemicals that it contains not to use it on the bulk of the rifle. It stripped the carrier of all the oil, and I made sure to vigorously re-lubricate after I was finished. Has anyone else tried this? What were your results?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used it before in conjunction with a ultra sonic cleaner. It worked but i can't say for sure it was the Simple Green, my guess it wasn't. There are better chemicals available to break down carbon deposits. Bore Tech C4 is one of them.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Simple Green makes different types of its cleaner such as for aircraft or the extreme formula that is safe for aluminum and plastic and others are not.  You can google the simple green FAQ and  learn more about it if youre into it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#3]
FWIW........    I was at Ft. Bennning years ago and there was an "environmental issue" (I was lower enlisted then so they didn't tell me much) and we couldn't use regular bore cleaner.   We all use simple green to clean then CLP.  Worked fine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Some types of Simple Green are supposedly corrosive to aluminum.  I have no personal experience with Simple Green but it's something to keep in mind.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top