Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2014 10:51:24 AM EDT
I just picked up a full 16oz can of Ballistol at a local yard sale for a buck, never used it before as I currently use Breakfree CLP and Hopp'es bore solvent as cleaners. Can Ballistol be used as a CLP, or is it just a lube? I know black powder shooters seem to like Ballistol so I'm thinking of using the Ballistol to clean the two AR rifles I have that shoot corrosive surplus ammo after they get a hot water flush. I know Breakfree acts like oil or grease and doesn't mix with water but sounds like Ballistol will diliute with water, so next time I flush my rifle with hot water the Ballistol might take a lot of carbon & crud with it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just picked up a full 16oz can of Ballistol at a local yard sale for a buck, never used it before as I currently use Breakfree CLP and Hopp'es bore solvent as cleaners. Can Ballistol be used as a CLP, or is it just a lube? I know black powder shooters seem to like Ballistol so I'm thinking of using the Ballistol to clean the two AR rifles I have that shoot corrosive surplus ammo after they get a hot water flush. I know Breakfree acts like oil or grease and doesn't mix with water but sounds like Ballistol will diliute with water, so next time I flush my rifle with hot water the Ballistol might take a lot of carbon & crud with it.
View Quote

wanderson,

I have read that it can be used as a cleaner for everything. I'd read what they say on there website and go from there.

Impala
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#2]
It is the goto for AKs and corrosive ammo.  Mix half water half ballistol in a spray bottle.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 5:42:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I use Ballistol all the time for a CLP.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't go wrong for a buck. It works.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep. One product for everything.Works great for me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is a great product for black powder and corrosive ammo shooters.   It does work well as a general CLP, but is not superior.  

What caliber ARs are you using that shoot corrosive ammo and why do you like them so much you have two of them?   I thought x39 ARs were sort of a novelty.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a 7.62x39 AR I've shot Yugo M67 thru for years, and earlier this year I picked up a new 5.45x39 upper for super cheap, and stockpiled some 7N6. Kinda bummed the surplus is drying up for both but at least I've amassed enough of both to justify the cost of the builds. When I first started shooting corrosive thru my AR I was lazy about cleaning my BCG and after a few trips I'd get this carbon & CLP gel buildup on my firing pin, easy to wipe off but now I'm curious if using the water based Ballistol would rinse out easier. if it ever gets warm enough to shoot I'll post my results.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#8]
It's all I use.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's all I use.
View Quote

Same here.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top