Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/7/2014 11:52:11 AM EDT
Although I am new to the AR world I have been shooting milsurps for many of years now. Most of the time I shot dirty milsurp ammo so I used Seafoam to clean the carbon deposits left behind. IMO if it will clean up old milsurps it should be good for an AR platform, Any opinions on this?

http://seafoamsales.com/
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 5:24:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Seafoam is pale oil and isopropyl alcohol....nothing really special.  The alcohol is what has the cleaning effect and the pale oil gives it the oily feeling.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 6:10:00 AM EDT
[#2]
i use Seafoam in engines to help clean the internal workings. Never thought about using it to soften the carbon buils up in my firearms. I'm gonna' try it next time. Thanks for the idea.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#3]
i believe that seafoam has no carbon removing properties of its own, only when used in the combustion process does it have any effect. at that, its said the mechanism needs to be hot, allowed to soak, then detonated for best results. many have drawn comparisons to the olden days of injecting steam / water mist into piston cylinders.

but do what you want
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#4]
In my Mosin nagants  I leave the last round I fired in the chamber to use as a plug then fill the barrel while still hot. Soaking a cold bolt in it does loosen the carbon up.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:14:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I use concentrated carb soak to remove all the fowling from my bolts and carrier.  It's meant to dissolve carb build up and works well
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Kroil is your friend! Fill a medicine bottle half way and drop your bolt into it while you clean the rest of your rifle, when you get done almost all of the carbon will have fallen off.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top