Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2014 9:02:09 PM EDT
Ok so I will keep this short, the upper of the AR is the  BCM SS410 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group, 1/8 twist.

(This BCM stripped barrel is machined from a 410 stainless steel. It features hand lapped button rifling with a 1/8 twist rate and M4 feedramps. As with all BCM barrels it is proofed (HPT) and magnetic particle inspected (MPI). To give the shooter the best balance of weight and accuracy this BCM barrel has a mid weight profile and a mid length gas system. 410 stainless is a harder and more corrosion resistant than the conventional 416 stainless found in most barrels.)

This rifle will be the first gun I have shot and the first gun I will need to clean (and potentially break in?). So I own no cleaning kits/materials and have no previous experience/knowledge. Now I have watched some "how-to" vid's and looked at the AR-15 "Field Stripping the AR" and "Lube Points" stickied threads, but it would still be great to get some recommendations. I'll list them in number order for convenience.

1. Is there a highly recommended "how-to" video on breaking down the AR-15, cleaning then lubing it and then putting it back together that everyone on here agrees on is done right? I much prefer visual forms of assistance.

2. Is there a fantastic (but not overly expensive) all included Cleaning Kit that is a favorite aka must buy?

3. Will there be any special or different cleaning requirements considering the barrel is Stainless Steel?

4. Are there any fan favorite Lubes/Cleaning products that you can recommend?

5. Any detail on how often to clean the AR-15?

6. I have heard of "White Glove Cleaning" which you do every X amount of rounds (1000?), whats the different between that and regular cleaning after a range day (say 100 rounds shot)?  

That's all I can think of for right now. Thanks for any help and recommendations and tips you can give me. I know my questions are level 1 Noob status but gotta start somewhere right? Considering the rifle is being bought in pieces i'm not even positive it will come with an instruction manual, so i'm trying to get all the info I can pre-purchase.

As for breaking in the AR-15, I know the BCM site says this regarding their uppers: "All BCM upper receiver groups are test fired for function, laser bore sighted with a Milspec carry handle for sight alignment within Mil-Specs, and then batch samples are test fired for accuracy. As such, the upper receiver group will show handling marks consistent with these quality control procedures." So I would think that satisfies the need for a "break in". Do you guys/gals agree?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#1]
first 4 tacked threads are up there for your reading pleasure.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You obviously didn't read my actual post, I said i have read those, and am looking for more detail.

EDIT: The rust protection thread doesn't actually conclude with any definitive "here's what I/we recommend you buy" list or anything. Its just some tests that have results and winners are chosen but im a beginner so the context is lost on me.

Whether its done here in this thread, or a new sticky thread is made...what im asking for i think would not only help me, but would help all beginners a great deal. And that is to make a "must buy" list / recommendation list. For example it could be titled "Buying your first AR15? Here's our recommendation list" and in it you (forum community) decide on what the top two best of everything is (by general consensus) and list them out.

That would look something like:

Cleaning Kits: _______ & ________
Lubes: ______ & ________
Cleaning products: ______ & _______
Instructional threads/videos/articles: ______, _______, ______, etc
Website(s) to buy from: _______, _______ (a mixture of good prices, good shipping, good customer service etc)

That's all I'm really asking for....the only thing i have ever heard of is "Froglube" because I heard Chris Kosta mention it in a Larue Chris Costa AR15 video So I really know nothing when it comes to cleaning and maintenance of a firearm. So yes, some help from the AR15.com community, a forum designed for people to come on and ask stupid/smart/mediocre/noob questions and get helpful responses is what i'm looking for.

I dont think it breaks any backs for some really great guys/gals with a ton of experience to reply and say "My favorite lubes are ____ and ____, my favorite cleaning products are ______, an absolutely loved Cleaning Kit is this: _______ and this Youtube video really is spot on: _______. (Oh and i say clean your rifle after every time you go shooting and every _____ rounds, "white glove clean it" and that means you do _____________)". Along with some other helpful stuff like "here's where I buy replacement patches/lube/etc from:________.com". And I greatly appreciate any help, and/or advice I get.

Oh and the "Cleaning Product Tests" link in the "Cleaning Kits and Suppliers" is dead. Its a pretty good sticky thread, but it just lists a ton of options, it doesn't have a poll or say anywhere "and this one is our favorite: ______" or anything.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:20:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ok so I will keep this short, the upper of the AR is the  BCM SS410 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group, 1/8 twist.

(This BCM stripped barrel is machined from a 410 stainless steel. It features hand lapped button rifling with a 1/8 twist rate and M4 feedramps. As with all BCM barrels it is proofed (HPT) and magnetic particle inspected (MPI). To give the shooter the best balance of weight and accuracy this BCM barrel has a mid weight profile and a mid length gas system. 410 stainless is a harder and more corrosion resistant than the conventional 416 stainless found in most barrels.)

This rifle will be the first gun I have shot and the first gun I will need to clean (and potentially break in?). So I own no cleaning kits/materials and have no previous experience/knowledge. Now I have watched some "how-to" vid's and looked at the AR-15 "Field Stripping the AR" and "Lube Points" threads, but it would still be great to get some recommendations. I'll list them in number order for convenience.

1. Is there a highly recommended "how-to" video on breaking down the AR-15, cleaning then lubing it and then putting it back together that everyone on here agrees on is done right? I much prefer visual forms of assistance.
  2. I included my personal video, like it or not :)
  3. Is there a fantastic (but not overly expensive) all included Cleaning Kit that is a favorite aka must buy?
  4. A bore-snake, dewey short rod, nylon chamber brush, and paper-towels and some FIREClean work well for me.
  5. Will there be any special or different cleaning requirements considering the barrel is Stainless Steel?
  6. NOt really.
  7. Are there any fan favorite Lubes/Cleaning products that you can recommend?
  8. I really like FIREClean. I have tried: Froglube, Rand, MPro7LPX, Weaponshield, and regular CLP. FIREClean costs the most, and I still prefer it.
  9. Any detail on how often to clean the AR-15?
  10. I know some people who literally...don't. They run their guns hard and they work fine. I typically clean it after I'm done shooting for the week-end, whether that's 20 rounds, or a 1500 round class. I don't bother with anything while shooting/during a course. Gun runs fine.
  11. I have heard of "White Glove Cleaning" which you do every X amount of rounds (1000?), whats the different between that and regular cleaning after a range day (say 100 rounds shot)?  

White Glove cleaning has no sensible purpose and you should do it never.

That's all I can think of for right now. Thanks for any help and recommendations and tips you can give me. I know my questions are level 1 Noob status but gotta start somewhere right? Considering the rifle is being bought in pieces i'm not even positive it will come with an instruction manual, so i'm trying to get all the info I can pre-purchase.

As for breaking in the AR-15, I know the BCM site says this regarding their uppers: "All BCM upper receiver groups are test fired for function, laser bore sighted with a Milspec carry handle for sight alignment within Mil-Specs, and then batch samples are test fired for accuracy. As such, the upper receiver group will show handling marks consistent with these quality control procedures." So I would think that satisfies the need for a "break in". Do you guys/gals agree?
View Quote

Here is a video of me taking down and cleaning my M4, and explaining as I go. I did not remove the extractor from the bolt in this video, but tended to pretty much everything else.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C7lTR0bQkU
Focus on the BCG specifically:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TO6Mt4NOqI

Again, didn't bother with removing the extractor as I have never seen a ton of junk under mine after so few rounds, but you might want to.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks 12_Gauge! I will watch those and I imagine those are very useful.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You obviously didn't read my actual post, I said i have read those, and am looking for more detail.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You are right I didn't. Probably wont either even though it looks thorough.

Heres what I do. Everyone does something different....  I do this like every 4 months. Some AR's I shoot weekly, some only every 2 months, some only for matches. The match guns I clean like you should.  All others get this;

shotgun open upper... use boresnake covered in WeaponShield. Shoot aerosol CLP    into lower. let dry and use WS on it. remove BCG and take apart, clean with a rag and hoppes. put it together and lube with WS.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Heres what I do. Everyone does something different....  I do this like every 4 months. Some AR's I shoot weekly, some only every 2 months, some only for matches. The match guns I clean like you should.  All others get this;

shotgun open upper... use boresnake covered in WeaponShield. Shoot aerosol CLP    into lower. let dry and use WS on it. remove BCG and take apart, clean with a rag and hoppes. put it together and lube with WS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well....i don't really get why your a-part of a forum community and commenting on a thread if you wont even read the posts (especially when they are super simple and relatively short)...but okay that's fine, your prerogative.

See, you say all that, but because I am such a noob it doesn't really mean anything to me because I don't fully know what you are talking about. The "match guns you clean like I should" part...but how do you clean them? And the "all others get this"...i have never heard of WeaponShield, i barely know what CLP is (mentioned in a bunch of Youtube videos i've watched), and i don't know what "hoppes" is.

I'm not trying to say you specifically should hand-hold me through everything, but in the first post I made it clear that I am a noob when it comes to gun maintenance/cleaning. So I do in fact need some hand-holding explanations (from anyone if anyone wants to help), because I hear things like FrogLube, CPL, now WeaponShield, Hoppes, but I basically don't know what they are. Except FrogLube, which I have been reading up on.

I'm sure you guy's know people that are go-with the flow, that would just go into a store having done zero research and buy w/e looks good and use it and never have an issue, then there are guys that want to research the options, get forum (aka community) opinions/thoughts on said options, that want to go into a hobby (in this case guns) as educated as possible, spending their money as wisely as possible. Well I am (obviously) the latter. I know its just lube and cleaning solvents but if i'm going to be spending $50 on this stuff, and i'm going to be using it for years, I want to make sure I am getting community loved products. I want to be sure that this rifle that will cost $1000 will be taken care of and cleaned and lubed to the extent that a gun-smith with 40 years experience would break it down and say "wow, you took fantastic care of this rifle".
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Step 1. Take apart AR15 as far as you know how to.

Step 2. Look in every nook and cranny for as much dirt and carbon as you can find.

Step 3. Get rid of dirt and carbon.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Step 2. Look in every nook and cranny for as much dirt and carbon as you can find.

View Quote

Lol. Ya I understand that much. But theres a bit more to it than that, what lube is recommended highly? What cleaning solvent? What Kit is like the kit to get, and what other tools are totally worth buying?

For example, something I would expect to be mentioned is the CAT-M4 Tool, i only know about it because of some AR15 cleaning videos I watched today...but that's an example of something I would have not known about that if recommended on here, would have lead me to research it (watch a vid on it) and go "whoa, useful, add that to my wishlist".
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Lol. Ya I understand that much. But theres a bit more to it than that, what lube is recommended highly? What cleaning solvent? What Kit is like the kit to get, and what other tools are totally worth buying?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only "right" answers to your level of questions are in the Army tech manuals for the M16 and M4 available here on the forum. There's your perfect rifle. Read it. Learn it. Live it. ...if you can do so without a drill sargent up your ass 24/7. Everything else that may seem consensus here is some group of individuals' personal experiences, while exceptionally valid, MUST be taken one at a time and in context. There is no perfect list of stuff to impress your gunsmith. Lots of people swear by FrogLube, because of their particular gun choice, ammo choice, shooting conditions, cleaning habits, etc, etc, etc. Others will put nothing on their rifle but BreakFree CLP,  and some Hoppe's #9 cleaning solvent for an occasional complete bore cleaning. Many many here will use nothing but a GI cleaning rod and brush, then patches on their bore. Lots of guys like me use a Hoppe's Boresnake at the beginning and end of a shooting session. Rod/Brush cleaning every 1000 rds or so. You will not get your perfect kit the first time, so forget it. 2 or 3 have tried to tell you how THEY do it. Don't piss on them and tell them they suck for being incomplete. Ask more questions and request clarification.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#10]
FYI - BreakFree CLP is "nearly" universally accepted as good to go for complete general cleaning, lubricating and protecting the entire rifle. You can keep a new rifle running and healthy with a can of that, some paper towels and a Hoppe's BoreSnake for longer than the time it will take you to get up to speed on basic gun safety and operation, rudimentary marksmanship, range rules/etiquette/manners..... and a laundry list of other things you really REALLY need to learn MUCH more urgently than how to spitshine your rifle to the point your gunsmith wets himself with envy when you walk in the door.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#11]
The only "right" answers to your level of questions are in the Army tech manuals for the M16 and M4 available here on the forum. There's your perfect rifle. Read it. Learn it. Live it. ...if you can do so without a drill sargent up your ass 24/7. Everything else that may seem consensus here is some group of individuals' personal experiences, while exceptionally valid, MUST be taken one at a time and in context. There is no perfect list of stuff to impress your gunsmith. Lots of people swear by FrogLube, because of their particular gun choice, ammo choice, shooting conditions, cleaning habits, etc, etc, etc. Others will put nothing on their rifle but BreakFree CLP, and some Hoppe's #9 cleaning solvent for an occasional complete bore cleaning. Many many here will use nothing but a GI cleaning rod and brush, then patches on their bore. Lots of guys like me use a Hoppe's Boresnake at the beginning and end of a shooting session. Rod/Brush cleaning every 1000 rds or so. You will not get your perfect kit the first time, so forget it. 2 or 3 have tried to tell you how THEY do it. Don't piss on them and tell them they suck for being incomplete. Ask more questions and request clarification.
View All Quotes
The only "right" answers to your level of questions are in the Army tech manuals for the M16 and M4 available here on the forum. There's your perfect rifle. Read it. Learn it. Live it. ...if you can do so without a drill sargent up your ass 24/7. Everything else that may seem consensus here is some group of individuals' personal experiences, while exceptionally valid, MUST be taken one at a time and in context. There is no perfect list of stuff to impress your gunsmith. Lots of people swear by FrogLube, because of their particular gun choice, ammo choice, shooting conditions, cleaning habits, etc, etc, etc. Others will put nothing on their rifle but BreakFree CLP, and some Hoppe's #9 cleaning solvent for an occasional complete bore cleaning. Many many here will use nothing but a GI cleaning rod and brush, then patches on their bore. Lots of guys like me use a Hoppe's Boresnake at the beginning and end of a shooting session. Rod/Brush cleaning every 1000 rds or so. You will not get your perfect kit the first time, so forget it. 2 or 3 have tried to tell you how THEY do it. Don't piss on them and tell them they suck for being incomplete. Ask more questions and request clarification.

I have looked around and couldn't find where the PDF of those manuals are, does anyone know where they are? (Thanks). As for the people that have helped comment, only one has with the videos he linked, the others were basically "TL:DR, go read stickied posts" which I already said I had read in my post and wanted more clarification and the next was "take it apart, find where its dirty, clean there, lube there, done"...I thanked the guy who linked me videos, and I thank you because your reply has been the most detailed and helpful. As for asking more questions, my original questions are in the first post, mainly unanswered, in bold and formatted for simple easy viewing pleasure. Edit: Just re-looked over the comments I got and noticed 12_Gauge aka the video link poster, answered my questions inside of the quote. My bad that I missed those.

For some reason this is a lot more complicated than I had expected it to be, I am a PC builder thats on a PC forum and a Vette lover on a Vette forum and in the beginning when i'd post that i need help (even noob level help that gets asked a lot, that most people dont love to answer over and over) I would get copious replies, so helpful, some even extremely helpful, offering to hold my hand and walk me through why ____ is better than _____ or why the community loves ______ hence its recommended so strongly...etc. Considering the topic is so simple i was kinda expecting a ton of replies with "1) I use ____, ____ and _____. 2) I bought ____ kit and love it but ended up also buying the _____ tool because its so useful..." etc. (EDIT: Thats what 12_Gauge did so props to him)

Quoted:
FYI - BreakFree CLP is "nearly" universally accepted as good to go for complete general cleaning, lubricating and protecting the entire rifle. You can keep a new rifle running and healthy with a can of that, some paper towels and a Hoppe's BoreSnake for longer than the time it will take you to get up to speed on basic gun safety and operation, rudimentary marksmanship, range rules/etiquette/manners..... and a laundry list of other things you really REALLY need to learn MUCH more urgently than how to spitshine your rifle to the point your gunsmith wets himself with envy when you walk in the door.

Very useful thank you. The items that I notice in your comments that I will look into/continue to look into are: Froglube, Breakfree CPL, Hoppe's #9 solvent, GI cleaning rod/brush/patches, and the Hoppe's Boresnake.

It seems like the simplest route to go (and a raved about route from what i can tell) is to buy the Froglube kit, and use as the instructions say. To buy a Boresnake, a GI style cleaning rod/brush/and bag of pouches...I believe i have noticed lots of people using microfiber clothes, Q-tips (or Gun Cleaning Coton Swabs , mentioning of Gun Cleaning Picks (though i've read many saying they've never used them, dont need them, etc) and that be my cleaning/maintenance setup.

The Froglube Kit seems to be pretty widely loved, and priced fairly. I would say i'd also buy a can of BF CPL and Hoppe's #9 solvent to have a wide selection of options...but i have read its not smart (and highly un-recommended) to mix cleaners/lubes. Its much better to just buy your cleaner and your lube and stick with them, in my case use FrogLubes cleaner and lube and nothing else.

Hoppes Boresnake seems like a great item to buy and use for the "after shooting" cleanings...however I would still love to buy a rod and patch kit, which is something i'm having problems finding. Any brand/site recommendations?

That seems to be about it. Besides the products, I am really liking this video: Field-Strip, Clean and Lube an AR-15 - Maintenance Tip from Gunsite Academy - NSSF and this FrogLube Application and Overview Video.

So, to update, here are the questions I have remaining:

1. The barrel that comes with the Upper is 410 Stainless Steel, when cleaning should anything be done differently? Or does it being SS410 not matter one bit? EDIT: 12_Gauge you answered no, thanks.  

2. What patches/Rod do you use (and hopefully love)? 12_Gauge you mention a Dewey Short rod, can you say which you mean specifically? https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

That's it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#12]

here is every manual and download ARFCOM has to offer

this is my go to oil, http://www.steelshieldtech.com/weapon-shield/  best thing about it besides being a great CLP is that it smells like cinnamon, not solvent.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/content/#manuals

this is my go to oil, http://www.steelshieldtech.com/weapon-shield/  best thing about it besides being a great CLP is that it smells like cinnamon, not solvent.
View Quote

Awesome thank you! Interesting, I think i'm going to go the Froglube route, but I will add that page (Weapon Shield) to my favorites so I remember it. From the description and reviews on Midway, seems like a fantastic route to go.

I presume the manual for AR-15's is the Bushmaster? Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Awesome thank you! Interesting, I think i'm going to go the Froglube route, but I will add that page (Weapon Shield) to my favorites so I remember it. From the description and reviews on Midway, seems like a fantastic route to go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/content/#manuals

Don't miss this one http://www.ar15.com/content/webPDF/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf .... It's a real bitch to navigate, but it's all there, down to the nap.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
(snip)Considering the topic is so simple(snip)

1. What patches/Rod do you use (and hopefully love)? 12_Gauge you mention a Dewey Short rod, can you say which you mean specifically? https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

View Quote

I don't speak for the community, and definitely not for the forum owners, nor can I address the tone here. All I can say is I am very different about computers (starting with IBM punch cards / COBOL / core memory days in the 1970's) and cars (1967 Camaro acquired 1983, through early 2k BMW e46), than I am about firearms (Early 1990's Sig P226, S&W 642, Marlin 336 .30-30 through recently assembled and test fired AR15 16" Carbine after months of study) Cleaning simple? Yes, relative to the entire subject of implements of deadly force and using them competently while not destroying anything by accident EVER, cleaning is simple. Being that you stated you never fired a shot, I feel compelled to ask you to please make yourself accept now and forever that guns are NOT a no-brainer by virtue of your mastery of the other two subjects. You have to learn some habits and behaviours that become not second nature but first-nature. I alluded to safety and training in an earlier post, and have no clue what you have planned in that regard. So much is at stake for you and for all of us in that regard. I still care more about that than a spotless rifle. Awesome first step that you volunteered you zero-shot status, but begs the question; What are your plans for training in basic gun handling and safety?

Dewey Kits: Haven't used them, but this looks like a can't-go-wrong item - https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=72_73&product_id=56
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:57:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't speak for the community, and definitely not for the forum owners, nor can I address the tone here. All I can say is I am very different about computers (starting with IBM punch cards / COBOL / core memory days in the 1970's) and cars (1967 Camaro acquired 1983, through early 2k BMW e46), than I am about firearms (Early 1990's Sig P226, S&W 642, Marlin 336 .30-30 through recently assembled and test fired AR15 16" Carbine after months of study) Cleaning simple? Yes, relative to the entire subject of implements of deadly force and using them competently while not destroying anything by accident EVER, cleaning is simple. Being that you stated you never fired a shot, I feel compelled to ask you to please make yourself accept now and forever that guns are NOT a no-brainer by virtue of your mastery of the other two subjects. You have to learn some habits and behaviours that become not second nature but first-nature. I alluded to safety and training in an earlier post, and have no clue what you have planned in that regard. So much is at stake for you and for all of us in that regard. I still care more about that than a spotless rifle. Awesome first step that you volunteered you zero-shot status, but begs the question; What are your plans for training in basic gun handling and safety?

Dewey Kits: Haven't used them, but this looks like a can't-go-wrong item - https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=72_73&product_id=56
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
(snip)Considering the topic is so simple(snip)

1. What patches/Rod do you use (and hopefully love)? 12_Gauge you mention a Dewey Short rod, can you say which you mean specifically? https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

True but for $100? Daaaaaaannnggggggg. Thats expensive! Especially when really all i need is a rod because it looks like good enough stuff comes in the FrogLube kit that can do everything required to clean the rifle, and i'll get a boresnake...so really all I think i'm after is a good rod I can put patches on (and what are good patches to buy?) and run through the barrel. I'll use the boresnake most of the time but every once in a while use the rod/patch method until patches come out spotless.

I totally understand where you're coming from, but i'm not 19 with no knowledge or anything (i'm 26 FYI). I haven't owned a gun so i'm not familiar (or wasn't, this thread plus research of my own is getting me there) with cleaning firearms, with lubing them etc. But I do watch a LOT of videos that preach/discuss and show safety in action. For example I watch NutnFancy (and have for years) and I watched all of the Magpul Dynamics Travis Haley and Chris Costa instructional videos (plus a lot more stuff)...now I realize no amount of videos makes up for a lack of real life classes and instruction, but I will be getting that before I do anything more than basic bench range stuff with my Uncle (very familiar with firearms). So there's nothing to worry about in the "caring so much about appearance/status of lubrication but not putting the attention where it belongs (training, safety, experience etc)"

By the way, I didn't bring up the Vette and PC forum because i'm implying i'm a master and everything comes easy to me so I expected guns to come easy to me too, I just meant that back in the day when i was a PC noob, i asked some pretty dumb basic questions and got fantastic detailed help, even hand-held walk-through explanations of what i needed to know. I mean if you ask they will help you choose what parts are best (in their opinion) then when you get them, help you build your PC, then help you troubleshoot it if you have problems, so i was just surprised that like 150-200 people have viewed this thread but I had two responses which were "TL:DR" and "Find where its dirty, clean it, lube there, done". That's all. But since then its picked up a bit and i've gotten good advice and help.

I'm concentrating on maintenance and cleaning in this thread so much because that's where this thread is located, I really do have a lot more questions regarding the AR15 that's gonna get built, but they aren't appropriate for this "Maintenance & Cleaning" part of the forum. I attack every aspect of my hobbies with passion and a thirst for complete knowledge, especially cleaning and maintaining a $1000+ item that can blow up in your face or break and repair/replacement of the broken part cost $100+.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:22:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I got the .22 Caliber Nylon Coated Rod - 30 Inches (22C-30) with a Gunslick Bore Guide for my 16", but Dewey has a bore guide that is a bit cheaper (link). I don't use the supplied brass pointed jag but instead a nylon one and nylon slotted patch loop that have 8/32 threads, the needed adapter is included with the rod.

I use Weapon Shield as well but it seems you are set on Froglube already. After each outing the carbon just wipes off with a rag and qtips for the chamber and other inaccessible areas other than the bore.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#18]
A bit OT, but former 'vette owner here. Traded it in to focus on my Class III hobby and to buy some land and move (in a few months).

Man, this is my cleaning kit, and it works just fine:

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/brushes-amp-bore-snakes/bore-snakes/viper-boresnake-prod42500.aspx
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/brushes-amp-bore-snakes/chamber-brushes/ar-15-m16-ar-style-223-nylon-chamber-brush-prod19663.aspx
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/brushes-amp-bore-snakes/chamber-brushes/ar-15-cleaning-combo-sku234000021-25910-13087.aspx?sku=234-000-021
(I also linked you to the nylon chamber brush I use. I prefer it. It does the job just fine, won't "stab" a finger if you grab it, and I see no need to use something as abrasive as the USGI version...but that's not to say the USGI version isn't also just fine. Preference.
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/lubricant-protectant-oils/fireclean-anti-fouling-conditioning-oil-prod55403.aspx
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kimberly-Clark-32992-Pro-Shop-Towels/19853253?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_top&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=87285802923&category=0%3A91083%3A1074767%3A1072088&client_guid=35957797-0974-4e80-8f20-facce3562cbc&config_id=2&parent_item_id=16352289&guid=86231f32-28e6-4fa6-8afc-ea70309ba298&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n

FYI, if you are OCD and have some carbon on the bolt-tail that just WON'T come off, use an expended case mouth. If you can't get it with that, chances are it doesn't matter and you need to stop obsessing over it.

I transitioned from Froglube to FIREClean because I don't like the way Froglube acts if I clean/lube and don't shoot the weapon for a month or two (sadly it happens...) The stuff gets thick, sticky, etc. FIRECLean so far has not. I also feel that FIREClean keeps the weapon cycling smoother, longer, when carbon gets gunked in the upper. I just prefer it, but, YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:39:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
True but for $100? Daaaaaaannnggggggg. Thats expensive! Especially when really all i need is a rod because it looks like good enough stuff comes in the FrogLube kit that can do everything required to clean the rifle, and i'll get a boresnake...so really all I think i'm after is a good rod I can put patches on (and what are good patches to buy?) and run through the barrel. I'll use the boresnake most of the time but every once in a while use the rod/patch method until patches come out spotless.
View Quote

$100 = a day at the range for me; Rifle ammo + pistol ammo + range fee, but that's your call on budget.. ..I looked and the rod and patches I have for my .30-30 Marlin are Pro Shot and they work well enough. (I have no religion about those items. They were what was on hand at the local gun store when I unmothballed that rifle and couldn't find my old kit) For bore-brushing and patching the AR, I have an Otis pull-thru cable system that I haven't tried yet. The cable is gouge-proofed with plastic coating and looks like I can git'er'done without mucking my barrel. ...couple hundred more rounds to go before I bother with it. Some real old-timers that can shoot the gnats off a fly at 300m just use cut-up flannel shirt chunks with the now-infamous Dewey rod (model unknown to you and I). It's pretty tough to screw up a barrel unless you gouge it inside or futz-up the crown. Just pick one, be careful and you will be fine. Maybe get your Gun Uncle to clean with you the first time if you're nervous about the tool you choose.

As far as the safety issue: When in doubt, I give the speech. Age never crossed my mind. I had a minor qualm, risked offending you (or not, whatever) in the name of "better safe than sorry", and it sounds like you are all over it six ways from Sunday on the subject of proper face-time with an experienced shooter before soloing. Done with that now. - Peace
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:07:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Now for the truly informative and entertaining part of our evening: (Do NOT try this shit with your one and only rifle - ROFLMAO) We've been bashing the hell out of pampering "The One" rifle. This is what happens when you have way to many of them and want to make a serious point about bullshit DGI myths:
LINK: AR-15 Dirt Test With Mike Pannone
LINK: How To Set Your AR-15 On Fire
Keeping your rifle pristine as you plan is still a fine way to go, but this shit is just too f'ing funny to pass up. I'm gonna watch both of them again as soon as I press "Submit" - great way to unwind!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#21]
With all due respect... This thread is an OCD nightmare.
We welcome you into our sport...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:39:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
With all due respect... This thread is an OCD nightmare.We welcome you into our sport...
View Quote

Pretty much, but once OP actually UNDERSTANDS the platform, I think it will be fine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Pretty much, but once OP actually UNDERSTANDS the platform, I think it will be fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
With all due respect... This thread is an OCD nightmare.We welcome you into our sport...

Welp, I had fun, went round and round and probably contributed almost nothing useful. Made me look some stuff up and now I know what MY next cleaning kit will be if the OTIS thing turns out to suck. Gotta say OCD new shooter will likely learn not to destroy stuff by accident faster than an NFClue. After that it's all shooter preference in the hobby realm.
- bang bang shoot shoot, have a b'chen time. peace out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

$100 = a day at the range for me; Rifle ammo + pistol ammo + range fee, but that's your call on budget.. ..I looked and the rod and patches I have for my .30-30 Marlin are Pro Shot and they work well enough. (I have no religion about those items. They were what was on hand at the local gun store when I unmothballed that rifle and couldn't find my old kit) For bore-brushing and patching the AR, I have an Otis pull-thru cable system that I haven't tried yet. The cable is gouge-proofed with plastic coating and looks like I can git'er'done without mucking my barrel. ...couple hundred more rounds to go before I bother with it. Some real old-timers that can shoot the gnats off a fly at 300m just use cut-up flannel shirt chunks with the now-infamous Dewey rod (model unknown to you and I). It's pretty tough to screw up a barrel unless you gouge it inside or futz-up the crown. Just pick one, be careful and you will be fine. Maybe get your Gun Uncle to clean with you the first time if you're nervous about the tool you choose.

As far as the safety issue: When in doubt, I give the speech. Age never crossed my mind. I had a minor qualm, risked offending you (or not, whatever) in the name of "better safe than sorry", and it sounds like you are all over it six ways from Sunday on the subject of proper face-time with an experienced shooter before soloing. Done with that now. - Peace
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah I totally expect the price of stuff like going to the range to be fairly high (like you said, potentially $100), but I wasn't ready to see a cleaning kit be $100 lol. Yeah I respect giving the speech, and I can see how you would have thought it necessary (a self proclaimed noob having an entire thread be on which lube to get and how badly he wants to get it right lol...could be messed up priorities).

Quoted: Now for the truly informative and entertaining part of our evening: (Do NOT try this shit with your one and only rifle - ROFLMAO) We've been bashing the hell out of pampering "The One" rifle. This is what happens when you have way to many of them and want to make a serious point about bullshit DGI myths:
LINK: AR-15 Dirt Test With Mike Pannone
LINK: How To Set Your AR-15 On Fire
Keeping your rifle pristine as you plan is still a fine way to go, but this shit is just too f'ing funny to pass up. I'm gonna watch both of them again as soon as I press "Submit" - great way to unwind!!

Lol yeah, those are awesome videos lol. I think it just really shows you that you can baby a rifle (like I will) but at the end of the day, its a piece of metal, a machine, and if its made by a really good company, to spec (or better) and is made out of great materials (and has great processes done to them) the end result is you can do that (second video) to your rifle and it will still be usable, it will still function, hell it seems he implied the rifle is just as good as before he torture tested it (though obviously he shrunk the life span of the rifle significantly I would imagine). Its like "bullet proof" engines and transmissions...some companies just make them so well that you can be negligent in your care and the engine/tranny still run like silk for 150,000 miles.

Quoted: With all due respect... This thread is an OCD nightmare.
We welcome you into our sport... :D

Lol OCD nightmare like a nightmare for people with OCD or like I have OCD?

Quoted: Welp, I had fun, went round and round and probably contributed almost nothing useful. Made me look some stuff up and now I know what MY next cleaning kit will be if the OTIS thing turns out to suck.  Gotta say OCD new shooter will likely learn not to destroy stuff by accident faster than an NFClue. After that it's all shooter preference in the hobby realm.
- bang bang shoot shoot, have a b'chen time. peace out.

Are you referring to the Dewey AR15 Cleaning Kit?

These are the patches I want for an AR15 correct? Link and Link
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

this...
     Link
comes with some of these....
     Link
....so these....
     Link

...but I'm gonna try this Link and this Link when I run out of these Link
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#27]
...non-tech posting removed on request of moderator....
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

[/spoiler]  

Lol sorry nope. Like I said earlier, I am just really really thorough and when i'm going to spend my money, I want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck. So I created a post about lubes/solvents/instructional videos because I have zero experience and no one in my family or friends with experience that can help. (Uncle lives far enough away its easier to just create a thread on AR15 which I already had an account on, im also not sure how much AR15 experience/knowledge he has). I just like doing things right thats all, no OCD here.

Quoted:
Quoted:

this...
     Link
comes with some of these....
     Link
....so these....
     Link

...but I'm gonna try this Link and this Link when I run out of these Link

Just to be clear, regarding your second and third link, did you mean to have them be the same thing? Or did you mean for the third link to be these square patches? Does anyone have a clue how many of those circle patches come with the Dewey AR15 Kit? Thanks.
Hmm those OTIS patches are interesting, re-usable up to 6 times?

Was going to ask about cool cleaning mats, but did some Google'ing and some pretty cool options:

1. Wheeler Engineering Delta Series AR-15 Cleaning and Maintenance Mat 20" x 47" Perfect reviews, and I love the AR15 diagram (will be useful for me)

2. SOG Armory Gun Mat Though its reviews bring up a good point, its jet black, making pieces near invisible to see.

3. Tek Mat Somehow its identical to the SOG Armory Mat...rip off or shared design? Who knows, same problem though; jet black. EDIT: Discontinued

4. NRA Mat AR15 diagram isnt as modern as it is on the Wheeler, and i'm not a fan of the NRA, but a good color and a diagram none-the-less.

5. SPS AR15 Cleaning Mat A lot like the NRA version, so a good alternative.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:52:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes, I pointed you at the round ones both times. I was feeling frisky at the time. Get the square ones if you are feeling more, um, squarish when you order. You really cannot screw this up with such a minor difference in patch selection.
I got the Wheeler mat as a grab'n'buy at the local gun store. Light color looks like crap with CLP, grease and general gun-skunge all over it. But to me it's a gun mat, not a show piece. I'll try a Tek-Mat when the wheeler gets ratty. The 1-star reviewers can come accuse me of treason to my face.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:37:32 AM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:06:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Or you could go really high tech.
1. Old school army issue M16 cleaning kit.
2. Big can of spray Rem Oil.
3. Big box of Q-tips.
4. pocket knife ( to scrap carbon, and cut up old gym socks for patches and wipeing rags).
5. some old gym socks.
6. an old bath towel as your cleaning mat.
7. a big zip-lock plastic bag to keep it all in.
8. a you tube vid on care and maintence.
Total cost Maybe $25.00 if that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:14:07 AM EDT
[#32]
I use triangle patches because the edges are cut on the bias and that grabs more dirt than round or square cuts.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Double woven or triple woven?

Wool or cotton?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I use triangle patches because the edges are cut on the bias and that grabs more dirt than round or square cuts.

Double woven or triple woven?

Wool or cotton?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
1000 count silk sheets.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Bore snake, bolt scraper, FIREclean, issued military cleaning kit, cleaning pad, and an old shirt.

ETA: FIREclean is the tits in my opinion and I highly dislike FrogLube. The stuff I used gummed up my 1911 and smelled like Bengay.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:04:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Everyone has their own habits with cleaning, just got to find what is right for you. For me, ever since I was little I been a clp/hoppes guy. It works. Now I'm switching out after being a bit concerned about all the chemicals.

Cleaning kit and all that really depends in preference. Most kits at a gun store includes a rod, patch, clp or combo. I would just get one and experiment. Really no wrong way. Most important things in a ar are the bolt, chamber, and barrel. Just clean that and you're solid and wipe down the outside with some clp and a silicon rag after all is clean and you're ready for storage.

Most clp like breakfree are what I like to call "go crazy" with chemical. You can dunk an ar in breakfree and run it as wet as possible. The good news is it dries up easily and does not require as thoroughly of a cleaning. To me breakfree is the "dummy proof" cleaner. Only way to get it wrong is if you just pouring it without shaking the bottle and never attempt to clean it. With breakfree you can do a half ass job and get away with it.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top