Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2014 9:08:59 PM EDT
I read about a lot of people using this and that degreaser/brush and all this special stuff.  All I use is Hoppe's copper solvent, wipe it on my bcg and let it sit for a little while.  Wipe it off and lube it up.  Clean the chamber with some q tips and copper solvent. Run a couple of patches soaked through the barrel.  Couple of dry patches.  Then a boresnake. And done.  Why do people soak different parts for hours?  I've never had a problem and I only clean it every 500 rds or so (although I lube it generously). Never ran a brush through the barrel either.

Good, bad... what do you think?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:27:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Clean when it comes to firearms is a very subjective term.  I clean/PMCS my firearms to my standard and call it a day.  To each their own I suppose.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#2]
People get crazy with it. I hardly ever deep clean unless im bored and have the urge. Otherwise I just clp everything and wipe everything down good, apply more for lube if needed at that point, throw a boresnake down the pipe, good to go. Deep cleaning ill soak my BCG parts in solvent and hit the chamber with a chamber brush. Its not anywhere near as complicated as some people make it
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#3]
so far on the SBR i built, ive ran a little over 1k rounds suppressed,

all ive dont is run a boresnake through and lube the BCG, runs like a champ.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Most people who obsessively clean their firearms do so for peace of mind. It is like a form of therapy. They believe parts need to be soaked and cleaned so well that it could pass a white glove test. While you're free to clean in this manner, I see it as a huge waste of time.

The AR is a very forgiving system and does not always need a tear-down clean and scrubbing. My modus operandi when running the AR is not to clean it after every range trip, but simply add more lube to the BCG and inner walls of the upper receiver. I just use a flux brush and a quart of 10w-30 motor oil to liberally apply lube when I deem fit. Don't worry about carbon, if it isn't affecting the function of your rifle then it doesn't need to be removed.

I actually clean the thing after every 1000 or more rds
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I just used Hoppes 9 wet patches followed by dry patches without brushing in the last 2 years/1500 or so rounds after every trip, everything else wiped off with a rag or qtips. Eventually I got another (but non-ammonia) cleaner last week that got some more copper out and still didn't do any brushing. It's supposed to remove carbon fouling too but there was no hint of any on the patches. Before using it I had trouble hitting the circle in the 25yd zero targets, and yesterday  at the range I could hit all shots dead center overlapping, repeated it 3 more times even shooting as fast as I could and getting up to put a fresh target between groups.

So I guess if your cleaner is adequate then there should be no need to use anything other than patches.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:50:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I have not cleaned my AR since George Bush Jr. was President.    I've shot several thousand rounds since then.   I just keep adding lube.   I know I'm in the tiny minority, and will probably get flamed.      Google an article called "Cleaning your AR is pretty much a waste of time."
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#7]
OP,

I think the important thing is that you use some sort of cleaning method consistently.  The AR platform was designed to run more or less clean, and to use  lube.  
There are many methods described in these site pages, but using brushes and solvent, patches and some decent lube are key.

Personally I use Sweets to clean fouling, and CLP for general cleaning and lube, although I am going to try the Mobil 1 and ATF mix soon.   Just for fun.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have not cleaned my AR since George Bush Jr. was President.    I've shot several thousand rounds since then.   I just keep adding lube.   I know I'm in the tiny minority, and will probably get flamed.      Google an article called "Cleaning your AR is pretty much a waste of time."
View Quote

Uber, Not a flame but your post cracked me up.  Kinda made me think of a potential article entitled."Why living your life is a waste of time" since we're all going to die anyway.
I crack me up.
There was a great video a couple of months ago about this crew that shot the AR repeatedly and cooled and lubed it by throwing it into mud and water.

Found it!   Fun with ARs

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Uber, Not a flame but your post cracked me up.  Kinda made me think of a potential article entitled."Why living your life is a waste of time" since we're all going to die anyway.
I crack me up.
There was a great video a couple of months ago about this crew that shot the AR repeatedly and cooled and lubed it by throwing it into mud and water.

Found it!   Fun with ARs

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I crack me up.

Found it!   Fun with ARs

Oh dang Rick. Andrew Touhy has the funniest shit EVER when it comes to debunking bullshit about DI guns. Watch the one where he and a buddy repeatedly pile mounds of dirt on a charged AR with the dust cover open. Shooter picks it up, shakes it off, dumps 30 rounds, changes to a fresh mag and repeats the process over and over and over again - Pile, shake, shoot, reload, pile, shake shoot.... Touhy definitely shows the low water mark for the kindness actually required to keep a decent quality AR running. Nice to know, but I only have one for now, so I'm not trying that shit at home.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:18:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
so far on the SBR i built, ive ran a little over 1k rounds suppressed,

all ive dont is run a boresnake through and lube the BCG, runs like a champ.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to deep clean every time I went shooting. Now, I only deep clean every 1000 rounds or so, otherwise it is just boresnake & add some lube. On a side note, I shoot almost only exclusively steel, and I have no issues with the dirtier ammo.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I read about a lot of people using this and that degreaser/brush and all this special stuff.  All I use is Hoppe's copper solvent, wipe it on my bcg and let it sit for a little while.  Wipe it off and lube it up.  Clean the chamber with some q tips and copper solvent. Run a couple of patches soaked through the barrel.  Couple of dry patches.  Then a boresnake. And done.  Why do people soak different parts for hours?  I've never had a problem and I only clean it every 500 rds or so (although I lube it generously). Never ran a brush through the barrel either.

View Quote

krybolt,

Everyone has their own method......I just leave it at that. personally I just use Breakfree or Rem Oil and go from there.

Impala
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I have always done a deep and through cleaning because I do not know if I will have the opportunity again.  It's about being prepared for the worst, and knowing I can depend on my rifle.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
that's more than I do.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top