Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2014 6:57:02 PM EDT
I just placed an order for one, and I wanted to ask those who already own one how they prefer to use theirs.
At first I thought it was like a Hoppe's Boresnake, but then I found a description that stated that Otis Ripcord was not to be used with a cleaning solution.

I imagine running it dry through the barrel won't do much cleaning at all.

So you guys run it through the barrel as they recommend? Or dab some cleaning agent/lube on it anyway?

Or soak your barrel with cleaning agent before you run the Ripcord through it?

Also, if you have both Boresnake and Ripcord, which cleans better? And do you think there is a reason to own both?

I want to note that I'm not trying to use Ripcord to replace conventional cleaning method.

I want to use it on the range before packing up so it'll be easier/less time consuming if I choose to clean couple days later.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I recently bought one and used it for the first time after my last range trip.

I put some Breakfree CLP on beginning of the wide section.  After reading nothing about running it dry, or wet for that matter, on Otis website I didn't see the harm in putting a few drops of CLP on it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used it a few times and what I did was spray some cleaner or oil down barrel and pulled it through a couple times.  Like you said at the bottom of your post it does the job for a quick clean.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I just picked one up yesterday. I use Boresnakes quite a bit, I have two for each caliber at least, one for cleaner and one for lube. The rip cord was 1/2 the price as a Boresnake, plan on using it tomorrow and I will report back.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I really like the idea behind the Ripcord. It looks to be better than a boresnake for a quick pull through cleaner but the ability to add a brush or patch really puts it ahead. I plan on picking up a couple of these soon...maybe right now actually
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, I liked being able to attach a brush to it, I always prefer to run a brush dipped in solvent before ever using the bore snake, so this just makes it easier, no need to break out the 1 piece rod. Now for the bad, that is also the good, this thing is tight to pull through the barrel. I am talking very tight, I wrapped it around my hand and tried pulling the way I use my bore snakes, but I almost lost a couple fingers. I actually ended up wrapping the narrow end around a dowel rod and then pulled it through. I am sure this will lessen the more it is used, but it did a great job of cleaning my rifle in just a couple passes. I am going to email OTIS and see if solvent or oils will harm it. I have two bore snakes for each caliber. One for solvent and one for lube and I store them in zip loc bags that are labeled. I would like to do the same for the ripcord but want to make sure it will not harm anything. I will try and  remember to post back after I hear from them.
Later
NCH
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Anybody heard from Otis about this?  Do you use solvent with this thing or not?
Otis website says nothing about it.

Also...How do you clean the rip cord?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

My understanding is they priced it cheap enough to buy a replacement after it been used for a bit.  I'm not sure on number of cleaning before you replace it.

Joe
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:08:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm guessing you shouldn't use cleaner with it because it has a rubber/synthetic core. Solvent's are a no-no with rubber.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I spray the barrel with Mil Comm cleaner, let sit for 5 min and then run the ripcord through it. It is a much harder pull than a boresnake, which I prefer and I am sure it will lessen over time. I really like being able to attach a brush or patch holder to the end of it. That is another option, just attach a patch holder to it, soak the patch in solvent and pull.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:57:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I used one dry in the field and it was about impossible to pull through, so I would us oil or CLP to make that easier.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I asked Otis the questions -very quick and thorough response:

At this time we have tested our solvents on the Ripcord, and can say without a doubt that our product line of cleaners will not damage the Ripcord in any way.  We do not recommend soaking the Ripcord.  When pulling the Ripcord through the barrel of your firearm, it will act as a brush and a patch.  The Ripcord will loosen the fouling and pull it from the breech to the pull of your firearm in one pass.  If you soak the Ripcord in solvent before pulling it through the barrel of your firearm, it will be much harder to clean the fouling from the Ripcord.  

My best recommendation would be to add a slotted tip and patch to the Ripcord.  The solvent can then be added to the patch, rather than directly to the Ripcord.  This will extend the life of the Ripcord, giving you a few more uses of it.

The longevity of the ripcord really depends on how it is used.  If you are only cleaning your firearms every few times between using them, then the Ripcord will gather that much more carbon and deteriorate much quicker.  If you were to clean your firearms after each use the fouling in the barrel is going to be less, in which case will extend the longevity of the ripcord a little longer.

Cleaning your Ripcord is extremely easy!  You can brush it off to remove the larger particles.  Putting the dirty, oily Ripcord™ in your washer/ isn't recommended.  There will always be carbon “rocks” embedded into the fibers that can never be removed so when in doubt if it isn’t still useable, it is always better to replace it.  Please keep in mind the Ripcord was designed as a disposable product, meant for so many uses and then replacement.

I hope this information is helpful.  If you are in need of further assistance, please let me know, as I would be more than happy to assist in any way I can.

Have a great afternoon and a wonderful Holiday Season!

Best Regards
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I asked Otis the questions -very quick and thorough response:

At this time we have tested our solvents on the Ripcord, and can say without a doubt that our product line of cleaners will not damage the Ripcord in any way.  We do not recommend soaking the Ripcord.  When pulling the Ripcord through the barrel of your firearm, it will act as a brush and a patch.  The Ripcord will loosen the fouling and pull it from the breech to the pull of your firearm in one pass.  If you soak the Ripcord in solvent before pulling it through the barrel of your firearm, it will be much harder to clean the fouling from the Ripcord.  

My best recommendation would be to add a slotted tip and patch to the Ripcord.  The solvent can then be added to the patch, rather than directly to the Ripcord.  This will extend the life of the Ripcord, giving you a few more uses of it.

The longevity of the ripcord really depends on how it is used.  If you are only cleaning your firearms every few times between using them, then the Ripcord will gather that much more carbon and deteriorate much quicker.  If you were to clean your firearms after each use the fouling in the barrel is going to be less, in which case will extend the longevity of the ripcord a little longer.

Cleaning your Ripcord is extremely easy!  You can brush it off to remove the larger particles.  Putting the dirty, oily Ripcord™ in your washer/ isn't recommended.  There will always be carbon “rocks” embedded into the fibers that can never be removed so when in doubt if it isn’t still useable, it is always better to replace it.  Please keep in mind the Ripcord was designed as a disposable product, meant for so many uses and then replacement.

I hope this information is helpful.  If you are in need of further assistance, please let me know, as I would be more than happy to assist in any way I can.

Have a great afternoon and a wonderful Holiday Season!

Best Regards
View Quote

Well that's certainly not mentioned in the product description.

I will put a small amount of CLP on it if I am doing it soon after a range visit.  If a longer period of time has elapsed since firing the rifle I will apply slightly more CLP on it.

To clean it I pretty much soak it in a sink with hot water and a little mild dishwashing soap which helps lift the carbon and CLP out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:49:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been issued the Otis kits for cleaning my service issued weapons and personally I find it doesn't do much for me that I can't already do with an old fashioned cleaning kit.

The only thing I do different is use a boresnake and I dip it in solvent before running it down the barrel numerous times. Everything else I hit up with Q-tips and automotive rags.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top