Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2014 2:13:27 PM EDT
After firing maybe a hundred rounds i took the bcg apart just to see how it held up. it did well of course but i noticed even after cleaning the Nickel wasn't as brilliant as it was before. is there some special way to clean it to its original luster? if not, im not worried about it, just curious.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
After firing maybe a hundred rounds i took the bcg apart just to see how it held up. it did well of course but i noticed even after cleaning the Nickel wasn't as brilliant as it was before. is there some special way to clean it to its original luster? if not, im not worried about it, just curious.
View Quote

That's the nature of the beast.  Nib discolors.  I prefer a black nitride bcg.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
really???? even the NiB BCGs get darker or black after alot of use?

I would assume, when they darken they are not easier to clean as a fresh NiB coating, Why even bother with em then?
Maybe I will stick to old faithful MILSPEC.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#3]
its just a darker tone, like i said not a huge deal i was just curios. still 10x slicker than normal ones.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#4]
They clean up just fine after they darken... they are just darker.
It s what it is.

I you really polish it, it will shine like when it was new.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They clean up just fine after they darken... they are just darker.
It s what it is.

I you really polish it, it will shine like when it was new.
View Quote

thanks.... here is my dilemma.
I have used GI milspec my whole life.... I can get a NiB BCG for $99 or a chrome plated BCG for $119.
Just have to figure out which one is better for the $$ and for my needs in an AR pistol build.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#6]
My Spike's NiB BCG when new was shiny. It's not so shiny after close to 1K rounds. Has a dark patchy look going on now. Not ugly or hard on the eyes by any means, just not all shiny. Once cleaned up, it is still slick as the day it arrived in the mail.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#7]
It's nickel and nickel tarnishes it's not built up fouling so it doesn't affect function.  I think the AIM NiB bolts are very well made and that's a known. I would think that the chrome BCG wouldn't tarnish but I've never owned one, that being said I'd worry more about the plating being done properly. I had a NiB R-guns BCG that began flaking almost immediately, the bolt itself was sort of a turd compared to the AIM NiB bolt, not to mention R-guns reps acted like I was privileged just to get a part from them, so I have never bought anything from them since, but I digress. If the tarnishing is going to bother you I say get the chrome if it is of good quality. I have to tell you that my latest AIM BCG is one of the best built/finished BCG's I have ever owned and that goes for many Colt BCG's. As for phosphate vs. NiB vs. chrome it is all about looks, there is only a very slight advantage in function/cleaning to the plated bolts and nothing that is going to make or break you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's nickel and nickel tarnishes it's not built up fouling so it doesn't affect function.  I think the AIM NiB bolts are very well made and that's a known. I would think that the chrome BCG wouldn't tarnish but I've never owned one, that being said I'd worry more about the plating being done properly. I had a NiB R-guns BCG that began flaking almost immediately, the bolt itself was sort of a turd compared to the AIM NiB bolt, not to mention R-guns reps acted like I was privileged just to get a part from them, so I have never bought anything from them since, but I digress. If the tarnishing is going to bother you I say get the chrome if it is of good quality. I have to tell you that my latest AIM BCG is one of the best built/finished BCG's I have ever owned and that goes for many Colt BCG's. As for phosphate vs. NiB vs. chrome it is all about looks, there is only a very slight advantage in function/cleaning to the plated bolts and nothing that is going to make or break you.
View Quote

thanks for the info.

Was your latest AIM BCG the $99 one or the newer V2?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1. I run an Aim $99 NiB BDG bcg and it's been flawless and easy to clean (despite the "tarnish"). I'll never use park again.
ETA: thank you, "BCM only" buyers for enabling me to get quality NiB bcg's for $99 :-)
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:16:38 AM EDT
[#10]
My NiB BCG did the same thing after first shoot. Difference is I don't give a shit as long as it works.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine is the $99 one, I don't like the way the v2 looks, personal preference.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty sure this is the nature of the beast, so to speak. I have used various and powerful solvents to no avail.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I had decided upon a Melonited one as I didn't want to deal with the nickel tarnishing and potential flaking as I am just that lucky to receive an improperly coated one.

$99 free s/h
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:46:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had decided upon a Melonited one as I didn't want to deal with the nickel tarnishing and potential flaking as I am just that lucky to receive an improperly coated one.

$99 free s/h
View Quote

That seems like a great deal!
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:49:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

$99 free s/h
View Quote

I have this one.  Not single tooling mark...inside or out and no printing on it.
http://whatacountry.com/ar-15-m16-5-56-223-bolt-carrier-group-nitride.aspx

The firing pin and cam pin are also treated.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

$99 free s/h
View Quote

or you could just suck it up and buy a quality NiB BCG. As i stated, tarnishing is nothing to worry about, flaking is from poor manufacturing, a completely different issue/resolution.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd call it "petina"
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:50:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Microscopically, NiB is very rough. Lots of peaks and valleys. Carbon ends up in the valleys. This is also why it feels "slick". Mountain tops only are less surface area than flat surfaces.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:06:49 AM EDT
[#19]
NP3 is a better choice than NiB in my personal experience.... I'd go with a quality NP3 carrier and it doesn't hold the carbon and turn the darkish color...... It's just a better coating IMHO....
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
NP3 is a better choice than NiB in my personal experience.... I'd go with a quality NP3 carrier and it doesn't hold the carbon and turn the darkish color...... It's just a better coating IMHO....
View Quote

NP3 FTW
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I just want everything to look purty.....lol
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

mrgein,

I usually don't worry about it's darkened color at all. All that matters to me is that it doesn't chip or flake during use. I only have a couple of these NIB bolts and with all the hype about the corner chipping and lousey coatings I'm kinda experimenting. So far my best/favorite coating is hard chrome.

Impala
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#23]
after 3k rounds, it became very dark, but you can feel it very slick
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top