Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2014 11:26:18 PM EDT
Will a brass bore brush scratch or otherwise harm a chrome lined barrel bore?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:16:48 AM EDT
[#1]
This gets asked a lot in almost any firearm forum. Short answer: NO.
A copper (or bi-metal) jacketed bullet flies down that bore under pressure and enough friction to get your barrel too hot to touch. Do you really think ANY brush can match that kind of punishment? No. It won't. You could brush that bore until your exhausted and it will still be no where near even 1 mag full of fired rounds.
Don't worry (in the least) about it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I was concerned about the sharp edges.

AR15.com search engine SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too see constant repeats of Thread Topics, but when you search for something, like "brass"
or "chrome" in the Maintenance forum you get no hits.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Use a FBC and let the chemicals do the tough work..
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I too see constant repeats of Thread Topics, but when you search for something, like "brass"
View Quote

Try Google

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#5]
IMHO no worries bro, clean away.  I always have and still use USGI sectional rod cleaning kits with brass/bronze bore brushes with no issues to date.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Try Google

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try Google

Avidrook: you are correct - I get more better results from non-AR15-dot-com search engines than the embedded one.
I just wanted to complain - maybe it will actually do some good.......... right.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:34:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Word, yo.  For some reason the functions on this site reminds me of usenet newsgroups.  What's really inconvenient is having to search for the last read post in a thread you've posted in.  Clicking on the email notification doesn't take you to the next unread post when you receive notification that someone has posted something after you have.

Excuse the rant.  Just adding closure to the thread.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:20:59 AM EDT
[#8]

I think a steel cleaning rod can do more harm over time to a muzzle and chamber edges than any brass brush.

Obviously military weapons are replaced systemically when erosion occurs, but for personally owned weapons I now use a coated or fiberglass rod, along with a bore snake.

that said, the chrome linings are high on the hardness scale.  Of course not all rifles are chrome lined, neither are all barrels made of 4150 CMV steel.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top