Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2014 6:43:00 PM EDT
I read a lot of people using the Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to lube their rifles. I also read all different weights being used. Is there a preferred weight or does it really matter ? I've read 30, 0w40, 0w30 and 10w30. I have a 1/4 quart left from my snow thrower that is 5w30 will it work ? -Thanks
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#1]
for a gun  mobil 1  any grade is fine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

I found 5w to be a little light. Personally, anything 10w-20w should be fine.

Make sure you still have something that cleans and protects. Might want to mix a little kroil with it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#3]
20-50 just because that is what I have handy.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
0w40 Because that is the ONLY Group IV weight they have,

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been using 5W-30 for a long time with good results

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I use 10w but any weight should be fine.  I have used this for years and by God it's the absolute best all around lube.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Same for me^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been using 0-20W since 2008 in matches across the Southeast shooting with the Tennessee Army Nat. Guard combat shooting team.

The reason for that weight? It was on sale and I said why not. Through 6 years of use I have barely begun to get into that quart.

The thing that I like is that at the end of the match all it takes is a rag to clean off the bolt carrier, the majority of the firing pin and bolt. Some parts of the pin/bolt still have carbon, you can't get around it, but it is minimized. I usually lube it up at the start of the day and will not clean it until the match is complete. That could be anywhere from 300-500 rounds total and have never had an issue with the rifle choking from lack of lube.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I use 10w30 because that's what my car uses
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I use 10w30 because that's what my car uses
View Quote

Check you door jam, it will tell you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I use 5w-30 and 10w-40.  I use 5w in the winter and 10w in the summer.  That's only because that is what I happen to have.  5w will get the job done just fine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Make sure you still have something that cleans and protects. Might want to mix a little kroil with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#13]
5w will work fine. Next bottle you buy id step up to 10 though
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:15:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use 10w but any weight should be fine.  I have used this for years and by God it's the absolute best all around lube.
View Quote

I so agree, the best oil made, period, but I am a little biased.  But I do not use on my guns.  The reason being I have about 10 years of a Wilson Combat and Slip 2000 oil in stock.

My question is do you use the M1 everywhere, bolt carriers, triggers, pistol slides, etc, just like you do normal oil?

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I so agree, the best oil made, period, but I am a little biased.  But I do not use on my guns.  The reason being I have about 10 years of a Wilson Combat and Slip 2000 oil in stock.

My question is do you use the M1 everywhere, bolt carriers, triggers, pistol slides, etc, just like you do normal oil?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use it everywhere and this is all I use.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#16]
30W ballbearings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4prqDn7QS8I
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#17]
a new twist....

I've heard some people recommend  10w-40 racing 4T......what is the difference between this and Mobil 1?

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Racing 4T is Mobil's motorcycle oil...nothing special from the car stuff...maybe a little more zinc.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Racing 4T is Mobil's motorcycle oil...nothing special from the car stuff...maybe a little more zinc.
View Quote

Humm ? probably has no friction modifiers...

I run Mobile 1 20/50 in a motorcycle, I used this because it contained no friction modifiers like oil for Diesel  motors (Bike has wet clutch, Modifiers make the clutch slip)
This type of oil is identified by Not having an  Energy Conserving label / stamp
All oil containers will have an API Oil Service Rating stamp

Sample stamps:

With out Modifiers

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With

I'm thinking Friction Modifiers would probably be good for moving gun parts

I'm pretty sure the Mobil 1 5/20 I use in my jeep has the modifiers, (make note to self check Label in morning) I'll probably use that

Anyone have any thoughts about modifiers?

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#20]
so for trhe monumentally dumb, English please

Is this any good, better than m1 syn?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:07:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
so for trhe monumentally dumb, English please

Is this any good, better than m1 syn?
View Quote

Any Lube
is
Better than No Lube
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
0w40 Because that is the ONLY Group IV weight they have,
View Quote

Yep, I use Castrol German 0w30 for that same reason.  PAO oil.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#23]
There is one full synthetic better than Mobil 1:   Shell Rotella T6 5w40 has displaced Mobil 1 as the favored lubricant for high horsepower, high compression, forced induction (turbocharged and supercharged) engines.  These type engines run super rich fuel ratios to provide cylinder cooling and have a much higher risk of hydrocarbon contamination of the oil.   In other words, the oil in these engines gets a lot dirtier, sooner.  It is the best full synthetic oil on the market at this time.

I have a 360 horsepower custom tuned turbo car and run this oil exclusively.  The car is 6 years old now and pushing 104,000 miles.  Might be overkill on our rifles, but since I have it and change my own oil, I use it for firearms lubrication, too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Light? How could any oil designed for use in an engine be too light for a gun? And motor oil is full of detergents...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There is one full synthetic better than Mobil 1:   Shell Rotella T6 5w40 has displaced Mobil 1 as the favored lubricant for high horsepower, high compression, forced induction (turbocharged and supercharged) engines.  These type engines run super rich fuel ratios to provide cylinder cooling and have a much higher risk of hydrocarbon contamination of the oil.   In other words, the oil in these engines gets a lot dirtier, sooner.  It is the best full synthetic oil on the market at this time.

I have a 360 horsepower custom tuned turbo car and run this oil exclusively.  The car is 6 years old now and pushing 104,000 miles.  Might be overkill on our rifles, but since I have it and change my own oil, I use it for firearms lubrication, too.
View Quote

It's a Group III based oil, in Europe it's illegal to try and sell it as a "Full Synthetic" oil. They can only get away with it in the U.S.

I'll stick with Mobil 1 0W-40 TRUE Full Synthetic. It's a Group IV base stock.

Link to discussion on whether Shell is Group IV
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that part about something that cleans.....would mixing with high detergent Automatic Transmission Fluid be good?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#27]
As of right now i think 10w-30?..idk my old man had an Audi he got rid of this year and has a case of it...so now i have enough lube for the zombie apocalypse lol
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I've read that mixing motorcycle synthetic oil is good as well
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:49:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Motorex for me.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Ive never had an issue using whatever 15w40 oil I had laying around
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#31]
How do you apply?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How do you apply?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Slowly, in front of the mirror with a smile of satisfaction
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I read a lot of people using the Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to lube their rifles. I also read all different weights being used. Is there a preferred weight or does it really matter ? I've read 30, 0w40, 0w30 and 10w30. I have a 1/4 quart left from my snow thrower that is 5w30 will it work ? -Thanks
View Quote

kyrond4,

If I was to use motor oil in any forum the weight would most probably be 5W-30.

Impala
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I think the clearances in an AR compared to an engine is going to make just about any weight engine oil useful.  When people start talking Group III vs. IV, etc, the degree of improvement can be measured in personal pride only.

Obviously, some are particular but in reality just run whatever M1 you have in the garage and you'll be doing fine.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Hi All,

New to ARs and when I found this forum and saw that people were using Mobile 1 I assumed they were talking about M1 grease, not motor oil.  I use M1 grease to pack the clutch bearings of my sprint kart and was thinking if it can take the heat of a clutch it wouldn't have a problem with the BCG of an AR.  Anyone see a problem using the grease rather than oil?

Thanks and great site!

Brad
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hi All,

New to ARs and when I found this forum and saw that people were using Mobile 1 I assumed they were talking about M1 grease, not motor oil.  I use M1 grease to pack the clutch bearings of my sprint kart and was thinking if it can take the heat of a clutch it wouldn't have a problem with the BCG of an AR.  Anyone see a problem using the grease rather than oil?

Thanks and great site!

Brad
View Quote

Nope.  Grease works.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep...me too. I've been using it for years.....works great!
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I am new to the game... so excuse my ignorance.  I like the idea of using motor oil for my new M&P15T, what are you guys using for application method?  Squirt bottles, Q-tips, eye dropper?  I use frog lube on my Sig pistols and a good liquid lube for my M&P Shield, I prefer the liquids to the frog lube because of its simplicity of application.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I am new to the game... so excuse my ignorance.  I like the idea of using motor oil for my new M&P15T, what are you guys using for application method?  Squirt bottles, Q-tips, eye dropper?  I use frog lube on my Sig pistols and a good liquid lube for my M&P Shield, I prefer the liquids to the frog lube because of its simplicity of application.
View Quote

I use a needle oiler for tight areas & small applications, q-tips for swabbing and my finger for just about everywhere else.
Tomac
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top