Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/4/2014 1:42:45 AM EDT
For range use how "wet" do you need to keep the BCG ? Right now I brush some grease on the carrier rails and cam pin. I wipe the bolt and carrier and inside the upper with Mobil 1 not dripping but not wiped thin either. Is this to much, not enough ? Do lugs need greased or oiled ? -Thanks
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#1]
All guns and moving metal parts in general should be oiled. The AR is no different.  Use enough oil that it does not wear metal parts, functions and does not dry out in a few shots. The amount and type of oil are arguable.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one that would have the occasional hic-up if not very wet, when it was new.  No probs now, but I have gotten in the habit of running them all wet.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#3]
For casual use anyplace there is metal to metal contact probably needs some kind of lube.
Grease or oil probably does not matter as long as it suits the ambient temperature and environment.
In new tight weapons I prefer grease as it seems to last better than CLP.
Too little is easy; your weapon will malfunction pretty quick.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a tendency to over lube all my guns the AR no exception. When the rifle is new, during it's break-in period, I really keep everything wet. As the gun gets more rounds through it I  lighten up on the oil. I don't use any grease to speak of. Tetra when it goes together and FP-10 after that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Too little lube and the weapon will malfunction sooner or later, usually sooner.  
Too much time without maintenance and the lube will run off or evaporate and it will malfunction.

Too much lube and the AR will simply blow out what it doesn't need and continue to function.

To cure the drying out or running off problem use a good grease on the bolt carrier rails, the cam pin and the cam in the carrier, the REAR faces of the locking lugs, the front face of the hammer, and the contact surfaces of the trigger group.
The grease will allow the weapon to be stored for a long time but remain ready for use.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#6]
The AR really doesn't need much.  I only use a little grease on the bolt and gas rings.  Then army recommendation seems fine.  

I've only used mine at the range, but pretty much the only malfunctions I've experienced not attributed to bad mags or ammo were due to too much lube,  usually in the cold.

Also remember oil and grease attract dirt and debris.  With only as much oil as you need, excess dust and debris can be blown out.  With grit in the oil you may not save yourself any wear at all.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#7]
FWIW OP AR's like to be ran wet unless environmental/operational environment won't allow this.  I have in the past applied so much CLP that for the first few shots I got a CLP spray in my face.  Overkill, maybe but it is what it is.  I have just recently switched CLP's and what I currently use doesn't require as much and has been holding up fine.  To each their own I suppose.  I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Too little lube and the weapon will malfunction sooner or later, usually sooner.  
Too much time without maintenance and the lube will run off or evaporate and it will malfunction.

Too much lube and the AR will simply blow out what it doesn't need and continue to function.

To cure the drying out or running off problem use a good grease on the bolt carrier rails, the cam pin and the cam in the carrier, the REAR faces of the locking lugs, the front face of the hammer, and the contact surfaces of the trigger group.
The grease will allow the weapon to be stored for a long time but remain ready for use.
View Quote

Thats some real good advice.

To add to that: remember to go lightly with the grease,you don't want a big blob of grease hanging off the parts,just apply in a smear.....too much grease and it will turn into mud with fouling/dirt...a smear of grease will thin as you relube with oil during use preventing caking with fouling.

And to add a bit more of my thoughts:
For storage I like to leave a sheen of oil on all parts.I typically use a 7/8" stencil brush to apply CLP/oil when done cleaning.This leaves a nice sheen of oil on the parts.The stencil brushes also work great with light greases like TW25B.Store the 7/8" stencil brush in a paint ball or cigar plastic tube to prevent dirt/dust contamination.

As a note,I also keep a dry 7/8" stencil brush for dusting/cleaning dirt off while in use.The paint ball/cigar tubes fit nicely in the PALS of a chest rig or FLC,very handy for knocking the chunks off and quick relube in the field if needed.To clean the brushes simply soak in rubbing alcohol or dish washing liquid/soap and rinse with water,air dry then back in the tubes.

Now if I plan a heavy range day I basically take the BCG out and apply a wet sheen(hosed down) of oil to the carrier,give it a flick to sling off excess and stick it back in the upper and hand cycle the action with the charging handle a few times to spread the oil to the uppers bearing areas.Make sure the bolt face is wiped dry and the bore/chamber is patched dry.

During the range session I will also relube every 200-300 rounds as needed....when the carrier starts looking dry.Basically,unload/clear the weapon,and with the BCG in battery,fully forward,apply lube the top and bottom carrier rail thru the ejection port,then work the action a couple times with the charging handle.

When I do this I also put a few drops of the oil in the carrier vent holes to help keep the gas rings somewhat lubed (helps break down caked on fouling on the rear of the rings and in bolt ring groove),but mainly to help keep fouling soft and somewhat lubed within the carrier and bolt tail.Remember that the bolt tail basically is part of a mechanical seal combined with its rear port in the carrier.
To do this pull the BCG back out of battery with the charging handle approx. .5" and put couple drops of oil in the carrier vents,again cycle the action a few times to spread the lube.

As a note,when done firing for the day I repeat the above.This will help wet the parts with CLP/oil and start the cleaning process,and depending on how many rounds you have fired is likely all you need to do if you plan to shoot the rifle again in a day or two.Ive ran rifles and handguns well over 700 rounds by simply relubing frequently,never a failure, and clean up time is much less involved.
HTH
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 1:27:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a tendency to over lube all my guns the AR no exception. When the rifle is new, during it's break-in period, I really keep everything wet. As the gun gets more rounds through it I  lighten up on the oil. I don't use any grease to speak of. Tetra when it goes together and FP-10 after that.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 1:30:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
FWIW OP AR's like to be ran wet unless environmental/operational environment won't allow this.  I have in the past applied so much CLP that for the first few shots I got a CLP spray in my face.  Overkill, maybe but it is what it is.  I have just recently switched CLP's and what I currently use doesn't require as much and has been holding up fine.  To each their own I suppose.  I hope this helps.
View Quote

Man, if I could count how many times I've gotten a face full of CLP lol, my EOTech always has clp droplets all over it too after a range trip, as does the outside of both receivers. Love me a CLP bath.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:46:46 AM EDT
[#11]
OP you are GTG.

I lube mine up really good, and once a fire that first shot poof it looks like smoke, but the lube I use stays wet for a long time.

Slip2k
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For range use how "wet" do you need to keep the BCG ? Right now I brush some grease on the carrier rails and cam pin. I wipe the bolt and carrier and inside the upper with Mobil 1 not dripping but not wiped thin either. Is this to much, not enough ? Do lugs need greased or oiled ? -Thanks
View Quote

Kyron,

I never se grease on my AR's. In your description I think your over lubring too much! I suggest your refer to the manual about where to put oil ans gauge from there.
The lug areas I usually oil but not too much. Gas rings I usually put tow drops and inside the carrier where the rings rub I place a film of oil. One drop where the ejector is.
You know what I mean....those areas that are considered critical.

Impala
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I degrease the BCG with brake cleaner, wipe everything with 2 coats of eezox and anything with metal-on-metal contact gets a light coat of tetra grease or synthetic motor oil.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#14]
One drop for the lugs, one drop through the ring holes, rub bolt down with oil before shooting it and cam pin and slot  gets one dab of moly grease. I don't like all kinds of oil flying around getting on my loaded rounds on top of the magizine, olny to get on the chamber walls.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 11:08:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm in the "less is more" camp. I only rub (applied by finger) some oil on the BCG rails, bolt rings and lugs, and cam pin. But then, I'm not in the sandbox, and don't expect that kind of environment, so ymmv.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I tend to be generous on the BCG, but not so much where oil starts flying out when I hit the bang switch.  That's just too much.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil and Mobil Mobillith SHC100 synthetic grease. For cleaning CLP.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I also am in the "less is more" camp on my firearms, However my ARs run better wet ( not dripping but you can see & feel the oil on the BCG.)
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top