Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2014 10:02:54 PM EDT
Hi, I just bought my first AR15, a Del-ton Rifle kit. Its brand new, only 50 rounds through it. I went to clean it and the cam pin would barely turn. I had to put a pair of pliers around it to turn it enough to pull it out. Yes, I did take the firing pin out first lol. My question is, has anyone else had this tight of a bolt? My only other experience with AR's/M4's was my uncles DPMS carbine as well as the National Guards' rifles in Camp Ripley. When my uncles DPMS was brand new I could flick the BCG and the bolt would extend no problem. This is definitely not the case with my rifle. Will just firing the rifle more and cleaning of course help, or should I call Del-ton? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know who Del-Ton's using for their BCGs these days, but that certainly doesn't sound like a good quality BCG.  If it were mine, and new-bought, I'd ask Del-Ton to replace it for me with something in-spec.  Can't hurt to try.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the suggestion. I tried calling them after I noticed the issue but by that time they had been closed for an hour and a half. Try again tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Curious how this works out for you. I have a Del-Ton mid length, factory built. I got it a few years ago but I have had absolutely zero problems with it. Not one malfunction in at least a couple thousand rounds of various ammo. I love it. I sure hope their quality control is not going down.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:54:29 AM EDT
[#4]
As far as the flick to extend bolt, all of my brand new bcg's didn't really do it until the gas rings had a good couple hundred rounds on em. But having to use pliers to turn your cam pin is definitely not normal or in spec.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hi, I just bought my first AR15, a Del-ton Rifle kit. Its brand new, only 50 rounds through it. I went to clean it and the cam pin would barely turn. I had to put a pair of pliers around it to turn it enough to pull it out. Yes, I did take the firing pin out first lol. My question is, has anyone else had this tight of a bolt? My only other experience with AR's/M4's was my uncles DPMS carbine as well as the National Guards' rifles in Camp Ripley. When my uncles DPMS was brand new I could flick the BCG and the bolt would extend no problem. This is definitely not the case with my rifle. Will just firing the rifle more and cleaning of course help, or should I call Del-ton? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
View Quote

YoungBuck94,

One of my bolts is doing just that. For me it could be the nickle boron coating is too much and the so rings are creating too much friction causing a jam.
In your case you could try another completed BCG and see what happens.

Impala
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#6]
well I Just Got OfF The Phone With Delton And They Said It Was Normal To Be That tight But Would Loosen Up The More I Shoot It.. I've Had One MisFeed, First Round I Actually Put In The Chamber. My Guess Is The Round Was a Little OfF In The Mag. But Other Than That It Functioned FinE So We'll See. By The Way Sorry For All The Caps. I Guess The Forum Doesn't Like My Phone Too Much.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
well I Just Got OfF The Phone With Delton And They Said It Was Normal To Be That tight But Would Loosen Up The More I Shoot It.. I've Had One MisFeed, First Round I Actually Put In The Chamber. My Guess Is The Round Was a Little OfF In The Mag. But Other Than That It Functioned FinE So We'll See. By The Way Sorry For All The Caps. I Guess The Forum Doesn't Like My Phone Too Much.
View Quote

I guess you need another 100 rounds!!

Impala
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I have about 2-250 rounds through the rifle now. Cam pin is still tight, but I can now rotate it by hand. Just more rounds downrange I guess lol
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top