Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2014 7:52:30 PM EDT
Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. I'm getting a lot of build up especially in the middle chamber that as much as I scrub it won't come off. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rob
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Try a chamber brush.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. I'm getting a lot of build up especially in the middle chamber that as much as I scrub it won't come off. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rob
<a href="http://s326.photobucket.com/user/sfno72/media/95ace51d-d102-4665-aef2-6aa4d35f211a_zps0e315318.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k422/sfno72/95ace51d-d102-4665-aef2-6aa4d35f211a_zps0e315318.jpg</a>
View Quote

Man you weren't kidding. Personally I would break off all the big chunks with whatever you can find, blow those out with canned air or air compressor, then scrub the rest with clp and the skinny end of a toothbrush from a mil surplus m16 cleaning kit
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Another method is to brace the rifle so it can't move or fall over, and stick the muzzle into a jar of well-shaken Slip 2000 Carbon Killer.
There are other carbon removers around including automotive, but I'd test the automotive on the rifles finish first.

After soaking per the instructions on the jar, use a bore or even better a Brownell's chamber brush to brush it out.
When it's this bad it might need several soak/brush cycles to get it clean.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I've tried a S/S brush and even scraped at it with a pocket knife. The stuff is like a friggin diamond!
I've gotten if really hot a few times doing mag dumps. Is it possible that the debris could harden to a steel like substance?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#5]
If left in long enough it can harden.

I noticed a lot of build up in my AK-74 muzzle brake.  I bought Slip 2000 Carbon Killer and it did a fair job, but some just wouldn't come out.
I contacted Slip 2000 and they told me that if the fouling is left in too long and can harden and even carbon removers may not work well.

I recommend getting a strong carbon remover, possibly an automotive type and try a good soak.
If you brake is stainless you should be able to soak indefinitely.

If that doesn't work, I'd contact the brake maker and ask their opinion on what to do.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Take that baby off and pop it in an ultrasonic cleaner with MPro7 cleaner.
Problem solved. Also works great with BCG's.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#7]
More shooting, less cleaning...
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#8]
soak it in gasoline, then scrub
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#9]
With my old Armalite two port brakes,which is similar to the above,I would spray the caked on carbon with Kroil Aero and keep it wet for approx. 3 days.Take an old bore brush and bend it to a curve to somewhat match the brake port profile and scrub in between hosings with the Kroil.
What I eventually learned was once clean,if you will routinely do this as part of your PM the fouling will be limited in quantity and much easier to clean.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top