Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2014 11:25:39 PM EDT
I struggle cleaning the gas impingement tube with one of those large pipe cleaners.  The cleaner does not go all the way through, it begins to buckle about a 1/3 of the way through.  What techniques and cleaning supplies do you use to clean the entire gas impingement tube?

Please advise.  Thanks..
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
are you talking about your whole gas tube or the gas key on your bcg?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:32:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't EVER clean the inside of the gas tube. EVER. There's over 50,000psi of pressure that blasts through that thing. It should blow it's own crud out with shooting.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:41:40 AM EDT
[#3]
It's better to just replace the tube when you shoot your barrel out.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:44:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Your gas tube is self cleaning bro. There is so much pressure blowing through that thing that it could never get clogged.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:48:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't EVER clean the inside of the gas tube. EVER. There's over 50,000psi of pressure that blasts through that thing. It should blow it's own crud out with shooting.
View Quote

This

It's pointless and you'll eventually get something stuck in there.  It doesn't need cleaning.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:25:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's more like 8-18K pressure but it is still enough.

Don't stick anything inside the gas tube, EVER!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's more like 8-18K pressure but it is still enough.

Don't stick anything inside the gas tube, EVER!

Carbine gas length is ~36,000, rifle is ~20,000.

It doesn't need cleaning.

If for some reason it did, just replace it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:50:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Use the Brownell's gas tube cleaners, not ordinary pipe cleaners.  Spray a bit of Hoppe's #9 in there.  Slowly slide the cleaner into the tube from the rear of the receiver, slowly twisting it.  If it starts to kink, stop, roll it so the kink is against the top of the receiver, and slowly push it in, and resuming rolling once you're past the kink.

You and I are probably the only 2 members of ARFCOM who actually clean their gas tubes, and I've only ever gotten a little carbon out of mine.  It's not a self cleaning gas tube, but they're pretty clean compared to the bolt carrier.  Speaking of, once you've finished getting the tiny bit of carbon out of the tube, you can use your very slightly dirty gas tube cleaner to work on your bolt and carrier.  Slides nicely through the firing pin channel in the bolt.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/brushes-amp-bore-snakes/specialty-cleaning-brushes/ar-15-gas-tube-cleaners-prod1544.aspx

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:03:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Use the Brownell's gas tube cleaners, not ordinary pipe cleaners.  Spray a bit of Hoppe's #9 in there.  Slowly slide the cleaner into the tube from the rear of the receiver, slowly twisting it.  If it starts to kink, stop, roll it so the kink is against the top of the receiver, and slowly push it in, and resuming rolling once you're past the kink.

You and I are probably the only 2 members of ARFCOM who actually clean their gas tubes, and I've only ever gotten a little carbon out of mine.  It's not a self cleaning gas tube, but they're pretty clean compared to the bolt carrier.  Speaking of, once you've finished getting the tiny bit of carbon out of the tube, you can use your very slightly dirty gas tube cleaner to work on your bolt and carrier.  Slides nicely through the firing pin channel in the bolt.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/brushes-amp-bore-snakes/specialty-cleaning-brushes/ar-15-gas-tube-cleaners-prod1544.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_100000433_1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

^^^^^^^^^^

Quoted:This

It's pointless and you'll eventually get something stuck in there.  It doesn't need cleaning.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:30:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Gas tubes can definitely get clogged:

"A detailed physical examination revealed previously unnoticed carbon buildup in the gas key and gas tube which had almost completely occluded those components."

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

HighSpeedSteel

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#11]
With the gas tube being a sacrificial part, keeping an extra on hand would be just as acceptable.

Because page 7 of Report No. DPS-2754 — Final Report on Product Improvement Test of Submachine Gun, 5.56-MM, XM177E2 — June 1968; stated the gas tube assembly of the XM177E2 has the capability of withstanding as much as 9,000 rounds of firing while continuing to serve as a suitable power source system for the mechanism.

Also, the XM177E2 used a carbine length gas tube.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#12]

You have been advised:

Do Not Clean It

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't need to clean it normally.   If you use dirty ammo or a .22lr conversion blow non-chlorinated brake cleaner through it (re-lube your bore and chamber after).

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks.  That is what I used.  The Brownells gas tube cleaner.  But I will try your technique of gently twisting the gas tube cleaner and rotating it when it begins to buckle.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks to all for your input.  I did not know this was such a hot button issue.  I did a search of the forum for gas tube cleaning and could not find anything.  I now know why.  My cousin got me started on cleaning the gas tube.  But I am not good at getting the long pipe cleaner like tube cleaner through the tube.  Sounds like it does not matter.  And thanks for the warning about blockage in the tube.  A real danger issue.  If I still cannot clean the tube after trying the technique described in this thread by backbender I will give up and just buy a spare carbine tube for an M4.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:26:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks to all for your input.  I did not know this was such a hot button issue.  I did a search of the forum for gas tube cleaning and could not find anything.  I now know why.  My cousin got me started on cleaning the gas tube.  But I am not good at getting the long pipe cleaner like tube cleaner through the tube.  Sounds like it does not matter.  And thanks for the warning about blockage in the tube.  A real danger issue.  If I still cannot clean the tube after trying the technique described in this thread by backbender I will give up and just buy a spare carbine tube for an M4.
View Quote

Be careful - spare AR parts are as bad as breeding Mosins.  Speaking of which - NEVER let your AR parts and your Mosins get together.  Even if it's just for a dip in the cleaning tank.  The results would crash the C&R forum server.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:03:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dont worry about it. It's not gonna get clogged up I promise you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:21:57 AM EDT
[#18]
If it needed to be cleaned it would be in every military operator's manual.

If it were a problem, every military M16/M4 would be inoperable after a typical field problem firing hundreds of live rounds and thousands of blanks (blanks are even dirtier than Wolf!!!!).

It's not a problem, and you're wasting money buying those cleaners.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#19]
You are the first person I have ever read about cleaning them.
Not that its a bad thing, but it can cause headaches when a bit of fuzz causes a clog
On my RR m16 I have shot 10s of thousands of rounds and while I burn up gas tubes quick I have never cleaned it even after a light range day.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I shoot a little NCBC through mine and then blow it out with compressed air
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Your gas tube is self cleaning bro. There is so much pressure blowing through that thing that it could never get clogged.
View Quote

This.  Thousands of rounds down the barrel and never cleaned the gas tube.  I did ask the same question though
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless you do something like jamming a pipe cleaner where it doesn't belong!
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Here are 3 reports dealing with gas tube fouling.

Ammunition Development & Engineering Laboratories, Frankford Arsenal
Gas Tube Fouling Characterisitcs of M193 Ball Cartridges in M16A1 Rifle Dated August 1968

Pitman–Dunn Research Laboratories, Frankford Arsenal
Metallurgical Examination of the Fouled Gas Tube and Flash Suppressor from an M16A1 Rifle Dated February 1970

Ammunition Development & Engineering Laboratories, Frankford Arsenal
Contribution of the 5.56 MM, Ball M193 Cartridge Metal Components to Gas Tube Fouling in the M16A1 Rifle Dated November 1970
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:56:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#25]
It is rare, but gas tubes can be stopped up.
From the Lucky Gunner test it would appear Brown Bear has the capability.
It is a lot easier to run a gas tube with a pipe cleaner with the tube removed from the weapon.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#26]
It doesn't need cleaning, just leave it be.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Never ran a cleaner down the tube of my 5.56 AR but I occasionally use extra long pipe cleaners on my 7.62x39 & 5.45x39 ARs, mainly cause they both shoot corrosive ammo and they do tend to accumulate some carbon. I will occasionally run a few drops of CLP down my 5.56 gas tube, and the same would probably work fine on my other ARs but I have the pipe cleaners so I use them.  I smoke pipes and some of them are long stem, the extra long pipe cleaners are about 20" long.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:01:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You are the first person I have ever read about cleaning them.
Not that its a bad thing, but it can cause headaches when a bit of fuzz causes a clog
On my RR m16 I have shot 10s of thousands of rounds and while I burn up gas tubes quick I have never cleaned it even after a light range day.
View Quote

How do you know when the gas tube is shot to shit and needs to be replaced?
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#29]
You replace the gas tube when you replace a worn out barrel.
Unless the tube is damaged somehow or you stick something in it and get it stuck the tube is only replaced when the barrel is.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Never?

I squirt some Ballistol mixed with water down the tube after shooting corrosive Czech 7.62x51 ball. Follow up with a long pipe cleaner.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It is rare, but gas tubes can be stopped up.
From the Lucky Gunner test it would appear Brown Bear has the capability.
It is a lot easier to run a gas tube with a pipe cleaner with the tube removed from the weapon.
View Quote

Yeah, but the barrel was done by then anyway.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:35:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Well I've never cleaned my gas tube out but have thought about it!
I do keep 6 spares in 3-Mid and 3-Rifle length, they are pretty darn cheap.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:23:19 AM EDT
[#34]
The military puts thousands of live rounds and tens of thousands of dirty blanks through M16s and M4s every year.  Those aren't cleaned. What are you doing that is so much worse than that?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:05:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Please don't clean it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:32:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm as much of a perfectionist as exists when cleaning my rifles, every time they're shot without exception and I can't believe I'm reading that gas tubes are being cleaned, wow!
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:  The military puts thousands of live rounds and tens of thousands of dirty blanks through M16s and M4s every year.  Those aren't cleaned. What are you doing that is so much worse than that?
View Quote

Some of us take the time to clean our gas tubes before we turn in our weapon.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#38]
As hard as it is to get carbon off bolt tails and out of the carrier recess I doubt a pipe cleaner would do much. A new tube is cheaper than a pack of the cleaners anyway.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:31:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:  As hard as it is to get carbon off bolt tails and out of the carrier recess I doubt a pipe cleaner would do much. A new tube is cheaper than a pack of the cleaners anyway.
View Quote

Er, probably you want to spray Hoppes #9 in there first, before shoving a pipe cleaner down there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Er, probably you want to spray Hoppes #9 in there first, before shoving a pipe cleaner down there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  As hard as it is to get carbon off bolt tails and out of the carrier recess I doubt a pipe cleaner would do much. A new tube is cheaper than a pack of the cleaners anyway.

Er, It does not really work well on the carbon on the bolt or carrier what would make it work better on the tube?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 1:55:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Dunno, that's how I get the few bits of carbon on my gas tube cleaners.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Er, It does not really work well on the carbon on the bolt or carrier what would make it work better on the tube?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It could knock off some of the deposits if there are any, but I agree that the majority is there to stay when using a pipe cleaner. If it gives somebody peace of mind then I say go for it. I wouldn't exactly call it needed though, as there is an ass load of pressure pushing through there when fired
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top