Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/15/2014 7:25:13 PM EDT
Alright so i am newer to guns. I know the basics of them. But when it comes to cleaning I wanna know what is a good oil to use.
I have read  some threads on here saying CLP is a good one, then i see motor oil can work?
now where i work i can get    LA-CO Zoom Spout Oiler the back says all purpose lubricating oil highest quality turbine oil its a little 4oz bottle
Will this work the same? if it does then i already have some that will work fine.
any input is appreciated. Also will it work the same for a Pistol? im looking at getting one soon.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I choose CLP. Why? Because it works.

CLP for lube and rust preventative. Hoppe's #9 solvent for cleaning.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Mobil 1 is your friend FTW...
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Close to Muad,
but I use CLP to clean, and Hoppes #9 oil to lube, thats it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Really, any good lube would work.  Lots of guys swear by mobil 1.    All I have ever used in 30+ years was a CLP, but I got some frog lube recently and really like it.  Some of this snake oil lube is really over priced, like frog lube.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Break Free is the best CLP.

Frog Lube is good....but it expensive and does the same thing. Only trade off is that it has a winter green smell and Tree Hugger friendly.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This...^^^.

Do yourself a favor and get some Breakfree CLP, some Hoppe's #9 and a good lubricating oil such as Shooters Choice FP-10 or Slip 2000.

Many here will tell you Mobil 1 is all you need.  Suffice it to say I do not prescribe to that.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#7]
anything, just keep it wet, you dont need anything special
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been using a home brew I got from an old range buddy....works rather well

2 parts Mobil 1
1 part Synthetic part ATF
1/2 part Kroil
1/2 part Marvel Mystery Oil
1/4 part STP
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#9]
It's not advisable to use Hoppes #9 (or any Ammonia-based solvent) on ARs, because Ammonia will corrode Chrome. Most AR barrels are chrome lined as well as the Bolt and Carrier. Will it significantly damage it; probably not.

I use Slip 2000 EWL (Extreme Weapons Lubricant) and Slip 2000 725 Gun Cleaner on the ARs. Works great and I have no complaints. Also, Slip 2000 products are non-toxic.

In the end, it's all personal preference. Some will work better than others, but they all work.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic oil works well too...
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Kroil to clean, BreakFree CLP to lube and keep clean.

Kroil is optional, but makes cleaning so much faster.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Is the frog lube better to use in confined spaces?

I clean all of firearms in my basement and after a few hours of that shit soaking into my hands and inhaling the fumes....I am dizzy as hell!
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I clean all of firearms in my basement and after a few hours of that shit soaking into my hands and inhaling the fumes....I am dizzy as hell!
View Quote

Well...its smells like wintergreen and its environmentally safe. Its not a strong odor like most of your CLP brands out there.

I have frog lube to try it out, but for $17 for 4 oz
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Slip EWL FTMFW
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well...its smells like wintergreen and its environmentally safe. Its not a strong odor like most of your CLP brands out there.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually like the smell of breakfree CLP, but it just messes me up after a while of using it.

But that is crazy expensive!
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#18]
thanks guys
but also one of my questions was will the LA-CO lubricating oil work?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Prolong
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sucks at corrosion prevention though.  See:  Corrosion Testing (New Pics)
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#21]
M Pro 7

You can thank me later.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, I use the same setup, clean with Hoppe's and lube and protect with CPL,

Would like to find bigger bottles of Hoppe's and CPL though.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard...

RemOil? Seems to work great and not break the bank. Is there a downside?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I use Ballistol for cleaning and Slip 2000 EWL for lubrication.......with Frog Lube on the bolt carrier rails.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#25]
mobil 1.....if you ever see the testing, research, or talk to any of the engineers involved in it you will understand.  There is nothing out there will give you what mobil 1 does and especially at the cost.  It's almost comical to use anything else....said respectfully
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Whatever i have left over from whatever project i last did. It all works great.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I go thru a lot of cleaning solvent.

I use a concoction of my own {sort of like Ed's Red} for big messy jobs like cleaning shotguns and scrubbing shotgun bores, same stuff or WD40 for cleaning the guts of AR's but then I use G96 for lubing primarily due to the excellent performance it racked up in the Canadian test years ago.

I clean bores with Hoppe's #9 and leave them wet.  That breaks down the gilding metal and helps prevent buildup which works nicely on guns shot with lead bullets also.

For cleaning cosmoline-type greases off milsurps and for other soaking jobs I have a jug of K1 Kerosene I use over and over, letting the big chunks float to the bottom and straining them out from time to time.

I've used motor oil, but it loses every rust prevention test I've ever read where it was included so more or less I steer clear of it for that reason for rust prevention.  I'm not dogmatic about it and frankly, would use it in a pinch.  For that matter, I'd be happy with Mark Weston's emergency lube of old crankcase oil if it was all I had access to and my AR was bone dry.

As for those who care about cost, I go thru a few cans of G96 a year as I use it sparingly but even so, at 13 bucks a pop...

Who cares?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic oil works well too...
View Quote

This.  Been using it for years and its cheap.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I use Fluid Film to clean, lubricate, and protect my firearms. It's main component is derived from lanolin (sheep sweat). It was invented during WWII to combat corrosion on U.S. Naval Warships.

60 Years of Leadership in the Science of Corrosion Control
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Mobile 1 Full synthetic.

You won't find anything that is really better and the price will kick the shit out of any "gun lube" you see at the store.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Another vote for FIREClean. It's one badass snake oil!
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I use a light amount of Mobil 1 grease on the BCG and then I drop Slip 2000 EWL on it.

The oil grabs the grease so it stays around a little longer, and it feels very slick and smooth.  I've been doing this on pistols now too (slide and barrel), no reliability issues to speak of.

I'm not sold on Froglube to replace oils, but I've heard plenty who do...  But, I use Froglube inside the barrel on all firearms (except those which shoot corrosive ammo) and recently to lube up an 870.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:32:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I switched to mpro7 lpx and love it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:45:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Fireclean is far and away the best lube I have ever used on an AR.  Makes clean-up absurdly easy.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I know a guy who had a similar formula.  Turned to gel at 40 degrees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have been using a home brew I got from an old range buddy....works rather well

2 parts Mobil 1

1/2 part Kroil

1/4 part STP

Plus why bother buying 15 different lubes and mixing them up? Just buy one for chrisake, they are all just lubricating fluids.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:10:14 AM EDT
[#36]
I have been using the Spikes Lucas stuff on the last 3 rifles, great stuff.  Sticks around!  Put 700ish rounds through the MK18 last week, and still looks lubed and ready to roll.

Used Slip EWL for a long time, and when it ran out I bought a quart of Amsoil Signature 0w20.  I have a few firearms, so it will all get used eventually.

Just wet the bitch down with something, you'll be fine
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:22:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 parts Mobil 1
1/2 part Kroil
1/4 part STP

5 to 10 percent kerosene will stop that........adds some cleaning ability also.

Plus, if you add 10 percent anhydrous lanolin it will give some rust protection also.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:27:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Fireclean is far and away the best lube I have ever used on an AR.  Makes clean-up absurdly easy.
View Quote

Yep, plus it's non toxic and doesn't smell like anything, and it's based outta VA.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
i clean with gasoline( full dis-assembly clean) hellova solvent
then oil with motor oil ( think about it, its formulated to BOND to metal)
KISS Keep It Simple, Stupid
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:03:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Mobile 1 Full synthetic.  

You won't find anything that is really better and the price will kick the shit out of any "gun lube" you see at the store.
View Quote

+1. I've switched to Mobile1 10w30. I got tired of paying for marketing bs. An AR is a high heat machine. Nothing more. Nothing magical about it. Seriously... Does anyone really believe their AR needs more than a high revving auto engine? They need to wake up and step back from the marketing cool aid.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
+1. I've switched to Mobile1 10w30. I got tired of paying for marketing bs. An AR is a high heat machine. Nothing more. Nothing magical about it. Seriously... Does anyone really believe their AR needs more than a high revving auto engine? They need to wake up and step back from the marketing cool aid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mobile 1 Full synthetic.  

I bought what I bought because I was new to AR ownership.  I still have a small supply of my originally purchased oils/lubricants.  But, when I am in need of some new stuff...I am going to go with the Mobil 1 synthetic.  It makes perfect sense to me to use a lubricant purposely designed to keep metal-to-metal parts from overheating/wearing out.  If it works in an automobile engine, it surely must work on an AR bolt carrier system...which is basically nothing more than a piston anyways.

There are just too many members on this site using it with much satisfaction to write it off as nonsense.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Mobil 1 5/30 for me.    Why 530?     Its what I use in my vehicles.     Ive been using motor oil on my firearms forever.     They DO NOT RUST.     I don't know where this BS about bad anti corrosive blah blah comes from.     My real world experience says motor oil works and it has plenty of anti rust "stuff" in it.     Maybe it smells a little....But when the hell did gun guys start caring about how their guns smell?      Jeez...Go buy a prius and be happy ;)
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Mobil 1 5/30 for me.    Why 530?     Its what I use in my vehicles.     Ive been using motor oil on my firearms forever.     They DO NOT RUST.     I don't know where this BS about bad anti corrosive blah blah comes from.     My real world experience says motor oil works and it has plenty of anti rust "stuff" in it.     Maybe it smells a little....But when the hell did gun guys start caring about how their guns smell?      Jeez...Go buy a prius and be happy ;)
View Quote

I'd think 5/30 would do just fine. Heck, 10w30 (what I use), 20w50, whatever... any synthetic motor oil should work just fine. They are all designed for high heat/high friction, exactly what an AR is.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top