Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/12/2014 10:37:39 AM EDT
This is my first rifle and I'm field stripping and cleaning. I got a bore snake but I can seem to feed it all the way through from the chamber to the muzzle with the upper still assembled. What's the trick?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you SURE you got the correct size?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Id like to think so. I don't know how to post a picture here from my iphone. It says that it's for .22 cal, .223, 5.56mm
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I would make sure it is the right size first.  Are you not able to get any of the boresnake through or just the expanded part?  I was able to feed part of mine through but really struggled with the expanded part.  It got to the point that i broke it.  I use the Otis .223 brush and have had no issues.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#4]
drop the brass end connected to the string end vertically down the barrel. Gravity will ensue.  Hope its that easy for you.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#5]
It's made by hoppes. The brass shoe string part at the end is stamped 22. The string goes thru just a little then stops. Almost like it's not heavy enough.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Lol that is what logic and the directions told me. I'm trying from the chamber end, I shouldn't do it from the other side, correct?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Just to be sure, are you pointing the muzzle straight down?

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Before anything else, shine a light down the bore, just to look for peace of mind.   Safely of course .
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes. Muzzle down, dropping brass through chamber end. Can see clear as day while the snake is taken out.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Pistol length bore snake?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Bro.......crack upper open........drop brass end in chamber ........let brass end come out the end of barrel........grab brass end that just came out business end of your barrel......and yank the snake down and out......whats hard about this?........is your bore snake green or purple?  They make the green for 5.56 and the purple is for 22s......doesn't matter both will work, I think the only difference is length of each boresnake

Wrap the brass end around a couple fingers an pull hard......it may be a little tight, just pull it hard
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd try the bore snake on another .22/5.56 and see if it drops through.

When I use a rod, some barrels definitely feel tighter than others.

Perhaps your barrel is a little on the tight side and the brass on the bore snake is a little wide.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not really getting to the snake part. Yes it's plenty long enough.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Well wrap it around your hand a time or two and pull!  It is VERY tight, have you already prepped the barrel with some sort of agent like clp? If not your goin in dry, adding to the chore.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Didn't do anything weird or different and all of sudden after 20 attempts it went. Have no clue why I couldn't make it go through on other tries
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd try the bore snake on another .22/5.56 and see if it drops through.

When I use a rod, some barrels definitely feel tighter than others.
Perhaps your barrel is a little on the tight side and the brass on the bore snake is a little wide.
View Quote

This! OP, you wouldn't happen to have a PSA rifle/barrel would you? I broke my $45 dollar one piece cleaning rod on my brothers because his PSA M4gery was so f-ing tight. He bought me a Hoppes bore snake in .22/.223/5.56 bore snake to replace it and it's worked out so much better. It cleans the dirties of barrels in 3 passes whereas my last rig took about 7-10 passes with cotton patches...
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lol that is what logic and the directions told me. I'm trying from the chamber end, I shouldn't do it from the other side, correct?
View Quote

Take the upper off the lower and it doesn't really matter...
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a .22 boresnake for my .223 and I really had to pull that sucker hard to get it through the barrel.  Now I've read enough to not care to clean my barrels at all.  If you're still doing the bore-snake gig wrap that free cord around your hand a time or two and then really yank it through.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Didn't do anything weird or different and all of sudden after 20 attempts it went. Have no clue why I couldn't make it go through on other tries
View Quote

you have to sort of "bounce" them a few times sometimes.... it happens

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks everyone. I got it through. Already had the upper and lower separated. Just had to keep trying to make it fall through all the way I guess. Ran it through multiple times and got it all cleaned up after the range. As far as the rifle it's a colt 6920. I did a battlefield zero today, and this thing shoots great. So happy with my pick up.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#22]
CLP on the first section after the pull string really helps.
It goes really quick with two people (one holds rifle, the other pulls it through).
Son and I did my late Dad's WWII era Remington 2LR that way today.
He had not cleaned it after going to the range while I was out of town last weekend.

So, getting the weight through the first time took some jiggling.

You might think it got nothing until you wash the bore snake and smell what rinses out after Dawn & hot water.
The big woven section at the end really traps what the brass bristle section and the CLP or solvent loosen up.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top