Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2014 8:40:38 PM EDT
So looking down my 14.5 midi there is quite a bit of carbon built up around inside there and it looks close to the crown but I cannot tell if it has affected it yet. Do you guys take the time to get in there with a pick and carefully scrape the carbon without touching the crown or would a bore brush work from the muzzle end? Or is it kind of self limiting.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Does it shoot fine?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:20:18 PM EDT
[#2]
yes but eventually from looking at it, it may need a cleaning.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Take off the brake/suppressor and try a 1/4" brass round headed screw that's slotted.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 5:54:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I usually use a cotton swab soaked with a good solvent and let it (the crown/flash suppressor area) soak then repeat as necessary followed up with some CLP.  I then dry off the area with another cotton swab.  I have also used a cotton ball, grasped it with a pair of forceps, soaked the cotton ball in solvent and cleaned said area (this also works in the chamber).  You can remove the flash hider and carefully clean the crown area however, this is something I have never personally had to do but read about others doing so in the past.  I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:14:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Inundate with CLP.

Compressed air to  blow off excess.

Brush bore with normal bore brush.

Whatever carbon remains doesn't matter.
It has been doused with CLP so it won't rust.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:09:40 AM EDT
[#6]

No need to clean It in my opinion.

If carbon were to build up enough that it affected the crown, the next bullet exiting the barrel would "self clean"

Making up problems where none exist

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If carbon were to build up enough that it affected the crown, the next bullet exiting the barrel would "self clean"

View Quote

This is where I was going to. Well said sir.
Not sure about that self-cleaning thing that may be what it is, But if you're barrels shooting fine there's nothing to change.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not sure about that self-cleaning thing that may be what it is, But if you're barrels shooting fine there's nothing to change.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if you do not want to clean it, it should still be protected with lube/CLP/whatever you use.  Very common rust areas are the flash hider and crown because of the heat generated and gas that blows through them.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Even if you do not want to clean it, it should still be protected with lube/CLP/whatever you use.  Very common rust areas are the flash hider and crown because of the heat generated and gas that blows through them.
View Quote

Precisely.

This is why I clean my AR bores by squirting CLP down the bore until it runs out the muzzle.
Then pull brushes or patches as you deem adequate.
Swab or blow out the barrel extension and the muzzle area to eliminate any puddled CLP.
Pull one more patch to mop anything that may have blown back into the chamber/bore.
You're done.

Everything has a generous coat of CLP.
Remaining carbon will soften from the exposure to the CLP.
Nothing will rust.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what I was thinking and also my 14.5 barrel has a pinned and welded surefire brake
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

This ^!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top