Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/8/2014 1:03:56 PM EDT
Was in BassPro the other day and saw they have an aerosol cleaning product that looks like it functions like a de-greaser.  Are there any issues or potential concerns to using a product like this? Seems like it might be more harsh than the old standby Hoppes but don't know for sure.

Your comments and insights appreciated.  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#1]

I don't use it much, because I use Weapon Shield, but when I need to get things like carbon fouling off the BCG, I use Bore Scrubber type solvents.

The only con I see is after its use I have to do really good job in re-lubing the areas I used it.

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#2]
People have been using those types of cleaners for a long time.   Different brands market it under different names.  Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber is probably the most well known brand.  There may be "some" concern with certain plastics depending on cleaning solution used.  Gun Scrubber has a "synthetic" safe brand.    As an alternative many have switched to using cheaper non-chlorinated brake cleaner which is pretty much the same thing.

As an aside I think many "smart" gun guys have gotten away from using the harsher chemicals due to availability of better cleaning solutions out there.  Some not quite so toxic.   Still there is some usage of those types of solvent/degreaser agents.   Probably nice to have a can around just in case.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#3]
It's to remove fouling from the bore.  It works..  Now bear in mind that your accuracy will be off afterwards.  So throw a few rounds to refoul a little before you use the gun for anything important, like hunting.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:02:47 AM EDT
[#4]
It stinks and must be used outside.
It removes all traces of oil from the steel, even in pores. Lube or have the totally unprotected steel rust.
It can remove some paints, so if you did a color fill on your lower, it might remove your work. Or if you spray painted a pattern onto your rifle.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been using non chlorinated brake cleaner for a long time and have suffered no ill effects and it's like 1/2 the cost but as stated you need to lube really well afterwards
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:05:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Was in BassPro the other day and saw they have an aerosol cleaning product that looks like it functions like a de-greaser.  Are there any issues or potential concerns to using a product like this? Seems like it might be more harsh than the old standby Hoppes but don't know for sure.

Your comments and insights appreciated.  Thanks
View Quote

NewGunGuy,

I use that stuff all the time and it saves allot of time and effort. Don't be afraid to use it. It's very effective and won't harm your rifle bore at all.

Impala
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top