Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2014 6:46:26 PM EDT
So I'm not entirely sure what baked on to my barrel, but my best guess is that it's some left over M-Pro 7 LPX oil. I'm trying to remove it but am not having too much luck. I'm also trying to be cognizant of the fact that if I scrub too hard or with the wrong solvent, I may end up removing the parkerizing or causing a shiny spot. Anyone have any suggestions for how to remove this without damaging the finish? It's up in the grooves of the finish and I think that's impeding my attempts.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-JHGFjHIYS2g/U359b7zuxNI/AAAAAAAABfs/ljOJv7PQtq8/w1149-h862-no/image+%25287%2529.jpeg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9MAYCD3_syQ/U359pYm1VeI/AAAAAAAABgM/UWbKpScjbDY/w1149-h862-no/image+%25286%2529.jpeg
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried acetone?
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#2]
If it were me I would probably leave it alone, just put some CLP on it and call it a day.  However, you could try Hoppes #9 or my personal favorite Breakfree CLP.  Apply it, let it soak for a few and gently scrub it with a nylon bristle brush.  You could try some of the more aggressive solvents out there but I don't think it's needed.  If you run your rifle hard enough over time it will probably wear away or even cook off .  I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure you didnt lean a hot rifle against a nylon gun case, sling, cordura, carpet? looks like melted nylon.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sure you didnt lean a hot rifle against a nylon gun case, sling, cordura, carpet? looks like melted nylon.
View Quote

Was my initial thought too.

MPRo-7 upper temp limit is 462 F.
If your barrel got that hot it would have just smoked off.
I use the stuff and have never seen it do that.

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Was that by chance the underside of the barrel as it layed when you may have possible applied more mpro than needed AKA it could be a dried up droplet that never dropped.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responses! I haven't tried acetone, but that might be worth a shot if it doesn't damage the phosphate coating. It's actually towards the top of the barrel so I don't think it's a dried drop though I do think it would have burned off by now. I may just leave it as is and see if it bakes away by itself.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I would not use anything more abraiecive than 0000 steel wool to try to rub it off with and i would start with a plane cotton cloth.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would not use anything more abraiecive than 0000 steel wool to try to rub it off with and i would start with a plane cotton cloth.
View Quote

I would look at it like this, IMHO it's a whole lot less noticable than a bright shinny spot.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#9]
It looks like a cosmetic defect in the finish that attracted some residue or you leaned your barrel against something plastic.  My advice would be to clean, shoot, and enjoy the firearm as much as possible.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top