Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2014 8:38:37 PM EDT
This may annoy some of you out there but I'm bored and have been thinking about this for a while. I am curious, with a high quality ar such as a BCM, Lets say for what ever reason a bolt broke with in a very short amount of time, lets say 1000 rounds, could I just drop a new BCM bolt in the upper after checking headspace with out any premature wear or other problems. I wondering if after 1000 rounds would a new bolt wear the barrel extension a whole lot more and therefor shorten the potentialy long life span of the upper?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#1]
If the bolt is broken you don't really have any other choice do you?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
No not really I just wanna know how much life if any the upper lost
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#3]
How many rounds do you think you shoot in a year or will out of the AR?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot around 12000 rounds per year
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#5]
If you shoot that much and are shooting for groups you will change it in a couple of years anyways. But if you're OK with "good" groups then you'll have several years but that's really all depending on what kind of accuracy you demand of your firearms. If you're shooting that much though it wont really make a difference to you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:53:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Ya this upper isnt for groups its for carbine courses and fun. I am saving for another Bcm for accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#7]
It'll be fine then anything you really practically lost would've been shot out soon enough.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:10:32 AM EDT
[#8]
For practical purposes it should be negligible for a one time change.
I don’t know of any way to predict the actual amount of wear.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Why worry about something that hasn't happened and isn't even likely to happen?
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I do not think a bolt can cause much wear to a barrel extension. When the cylinder inside the carrier is initially pressurized from gas entering the carrier key, it pushes the bolt forward and off of the barrel extension before it rotates to unlock. As for any rounding of the edges of the bolt's lugs seen on some AR's; this looks more to be caused from clearance issues between the bolt and barrel extension; either from a barrel out-of-alignment from being canted to one side, or a barrel extension out-of-spec.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top