Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/22/2014 8:23:38 AM EDT
I just noticed this morning that the inside of the end of my barrel on my Remington 700 has a bit of rust in it.  What do I do to remove that rust and protect from rust in the future?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Clean and Oil, repeat as necessary
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I would use some Breakfree CLP and call it a day.  I don't know how your rifle is stored so I really can't recommend anything further to protect your rifle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:48:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I always run an oily patch through barrels before I store them, even chrome lined barrels.
I try to coat every metal surface I can with some oil.
If you put a heavy coat (ie. sopping wet patch) of oil you should run a dry patch before shooting, but a light coat wont cause any problems.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:51:32 AM EDT
[#4]
You sure it isn't copper?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just noticed this morning that the inside of the end of my barrel on my Remington 700 has a bit of rust in it.  What do I do to remove that rust and protect from rust in the future?
View Quote

Do you store your rifle muzzle up ? Dust likes to collect in the first inch or so when stored muzzle up and can lead to rust if you don't check your firearms regularly. Clean it and take a look to see just how bad the rust is. Once you get it cleaned up buy some Weapon Shield oil or Eezox either should keep the rust at bay.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I store the gun indoors in side a closet muzzle up.  I will be cleaning tonight to see the extent of everything.  I havent had the money to invest in a safe yet otherwise it would be in a safe.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top