Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/20/2014 4:36:35 PM EDT
I'm curious about what others are using for bore solvent.  I'm sure a lot are using Breakfree CLP.  I use eezox which is claimed to be a clp.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Good ol' regular Hoppes #9 works just fine for me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

except when dealing with corrosive ammo, I use hot water and sudsy ammonia, rinse out with that a couple times, then use a good bore cleaner, (Hoppes will do) a good clean brass bore brush, make sure it is  dry (dry cotton patches), profusely oil and run a last lightly oiled l patch through to leave the bore with a film of oil.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm curious about what others are using for bore solvent.  I'm sure a lot are using Breakfree CLP.  I use eezox which is claimed to be a clp.
View Quote

I use Birchwood Casey's Bore Scrubber.

Impala
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

What he said and alitte gun oil down the tube and Super Lube in the right places
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use hoppes #9 in my .45 Kimber Warrior but I use Shooters choice Bore solvent for my Stainless AR15.

I also use Breakfree CLP following the above followed by Shooters choice FP-10 Lubricant for just lubing the moving parts.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do as well.
Dip the bore brush in the bottle and run it back and forth about 10 times.
Then a bore snake with Ballistol on it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Hoppe's No.9 Nitro Solvent for normal cleaning.Sweets 7.62 for heavy copper fouling.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:29:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I run a few patches of Kroil down the bore and allow it to soak and following it with Hoppes No. 9; for heavy copper fouling, I use Butch's Bore Shine.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I use Breakfree CLP usually and on occasion I will use Hoppes #9 followed up by the CLP if I suspect or see that there is a lot of fouling built up in my barrels.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I use shooters choice. My barrels (lilja and krieger) clean extremely easy since they are hand lapped.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not a whole lot of info here to base a response.  For a chromed line AR, just about any powder solvent will work ok.  A pass with a brush/patch and a bore snake will suffice for 99% of your cleaning needs.

Now, if you start getting into non-chromed bores, like hunting rifles, mil-surp barrels, etc, then you might want to add a good copper cleaner to the mix.  I personally haven't found anything better then KG-12.  Doesn't stink as bad as sweets and works very well.  Here is a link to a test using various copper solvents http://www.jarheadtop.com/KG12_Test_Results.htm.

One poster even mentioned corrosive cleaning but I don't think you meant to talk about corrosive in a AR forum but his meathod seems labor intensive.  If you shoot corrosive, I haven't seen a better cleaner then Ballistol.  This is also for black powder.  With ballistol, you mix it with water.  When the water dries, it leaves a protectant film so there is really no need to oil like the other poster said.  Also ballsitol is cheap and non-toxic.  A 16 oz can is about 16 dollars IIRC and mixed 8/1 with water/ballistol mix, it will last you years.  You can really hose down your parts not any worry about heating water and making sure you get all of the water out of every nook and cranny or having to oil every part with expensive gun oil.  Anyway, that's how I do it and I've yet to see a better way.  This mix also works well on cleaning up AR fouling.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I am gonna pick up some of that Patch-Out with the accelerator. Heard some really good stuff about it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I just spent the last four hrs trying to remove cooper/carbon from two AR's that have only ever seen CLP down the bores. Hoppes 9 put a dent in them, Butches Bore shine got a little more out but patches were still coming out filthy. Gave up for now. Ordered a couple cans of Patchout, we'll see if that can cut this crap. If that doesn't do it Witches Brew is next on the list.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#14]
These 2 are the most kick ass stuff in my gun cleaning case.
My 2 stainless match barrels get the proper cleaning.

Amazing stuff.

I like the sweets personally.

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Bore tech Eliminator.

I have tried them all, and for me this gets out the most copper i have ever seen. It's is also non toxic, and can be left in the bore overnight if you need to. I have never tried this or needed to though. It has almost no sent to it.

Their copper cleaner is also the shiznit.

Google it, and you will see the reviews.

It's what I like anyways. IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 3:49:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bore tech Eliminator.

I have tried them all, and for me this gets out the most copper i have ever seen. It's is also non toxic, and can be left in the bore overnight if you need to. I have never tried this or needed to though. It has almost no sent to it.

View Quote

Yep, everything he said!
Barrett also sells this product with their label on it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 4:21:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bore tech Eliminator.

View Quote

Good to know, I've always read good things about BTE; just never tried it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bore tech Eliminator.

Thats also a plus if you can leave it on there.
That other stuff you can't.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bore tech Eliminator.

View Quote

Hmm....15 different solvents and lubricants and pretty cleaning rods.  Get your wallet out...you NEED every one of them.  The jags and brushes look interesting though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hmm....15 different solvents and lubricants and pretty cleaning rods.  Get your wallet out...you NEED every one of them.  The jags and brushes look interesting though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bore tech Eliminator.

No confusion here The Bore solvent is all I use from this company, and it is good.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No confusion here The Bore solvent is all I use from this company, and it is good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bore tech Eliminator.

I believe I will have to try it.....the bore solvent that is.

What can you tell me about the jags?  Which do you prefer?  I have 18" SS barrel.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What can you tell me about the jags?  Which do you prefer?  I have 18" SS barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bore tech Eliminator.

Nothing on their jags. I have never used theirs. IMHO a jag is a jag. Only one's I have avoided are the plastic ones. I just use a descent brass one from whatever  LGS has them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just spent the last four hrs trying to remove cooper/carbon from two AR's that have only ever seen CLP down the bores. Hoppes 9 put a dent in them, Butches Bore shine got a little more out but patches were still coming out filthy. Gave up for now. Ordered a couple cans of Patchout, we'll see if that can cut this crap. If that doesn't do it Witches Brew is next on the list.
View Quote

Patchout showed up today, one hr soak in the barrel, spotless now. I'm a believer.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yep, everything he said!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bore tech Eliminator.

Yep, everything he said!

Another vote for the Eliminator. It is all I use on my 107A1, and I can't see any copper in the barrel. I have to try their copper cleaner next.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Ed's Red on chrome bores.  Conventional bores with high velocity copper jacketed bullets get Sweet's 7.62

Link Posted: 5/9/2014 6:12:21 AM EDT
[#26]
FWIW, Butch's Bore Shine can be left in over night if necessary and it receives positive reviews on the net.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top