Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/19/2014 2:03:18 PM EDT
This is geared towards people who use FrogLube.  I don't want to get too much into whether the stuff works on not since there's tons of threads on this already.

Anyway, the traditional method of using FrogLube is to heat the metal, apply, let it soak in, the wipe off the excess.  When the gun heats up, the FrogLube wicks to the surface.  I think typically people use the paste as the primary application with the liquid being used for the harder to reach spots.  

What I was thinking is why not use both.  In other words, use the paste and wipe off like usual.  But rather than leaving the BCG and upper "dry", use the liquid as well to keep all the friction points lubricated.  It's only the paste that dries hard and I can see gumming up if you don't wipe off the excess but the liquid will stay, well, liquid.  So wouldn't this be the better way to apply as you would have a well lubricated gun at both cold and hot temperatures?  

I realize running it wet like this in very cold or dusty conditions wouldn't be optimal so I'm talking about less extreme conditions.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:33:46 AM EDT
[#1]
on an AR, why not?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I use both, leaving a light coat of the paste on the inside of the upper, CH and BCG, and add a few drops of the liquid CLP on the bcg.  I have had no problems with either one... seems to be personal preference IMO, but i use both.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I use the paste for the first application after that all I use is the liquid. Normally I clean my AR after every range session. But What I've started doing is putting the liquid FL on the contact points of the BCG and then squirting some FL into the gas holes on the BCG. So all I actually have to clean is the barrel and chamber. Its kind of a test for me I want to see how long my AR will run with the BCG not being cleaned and only lubing it with frog lube. I have 500rds of tula through it without a problem so far.

But again to answer your question. I've always used the liquid FL for cleaning and lube after the initial application.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know why we couldn't. I run frog.lube paste, but I have to admit, I don't wipe it all off.     I do get any buildup off but I don't wipe it DRY at all. I notice within a few shots, anything that I have left on has warmed up and turned to a liquid anyway.    Never had a problem.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
on an AR, why not?
View Quote

That was my thought process as well.  I guess all the application videos I've seen on YouTube never did this, it was always apply and wipe off so I was thinking maybe I was missing something.  Looks like I'm not the only one using both so I'll keep running it wet.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#6]
That's exactly what I do. I clean and lube everything with the paste, let it dry and wipe excess off. Then  I lightly lube (mainly the bolt) with the liquid.

I live in Texas so the extreme cold conditions are a non factor for me.

Froglube works great for me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I only use the paste and after every 3rd of 4th session. The stuff works great ! I prefer to run my guns lubed but on the dry side . Never had any problems . I live on the coast and ever since I started using I haven't seen a bit Of Rust anywhere .  I used CLP before and would see rust after a few months of the guns sitting . I don't care who says what . Frog lube is the shit !
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top