Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2014 5:10:18 PM EDT
For you guys that have nice scopes on your AR's…especially 1-4x and 1-6x scopes…do you always remove your scopes from the upper before you get into the cleaning or do you leave it on and just get after it?  If you leave it on, what precautions do you take to make sure the scope doesn't get damaged?  I would imagine you would want to separate the upper totally as just the back pin out and the upper swing around with the weight of that scope would just be a recipe for disaster.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Leave it on, even if you have a good QD mount that will return to zero.  You won't actually know if it did return to zero till you shoot it again.

Buy some butler creek scope caps and close them while you are cleaning, problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Leave it on guys with bolt action rifles that have optics don't remove them when they clean their rifles what would be the purpose of taking it off on an AR?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:50:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't have a scope on my AR yet, trying to work back to old school irons but with my M1A Scout I have a 1-4 Leu scout scope with QR rings and usually always take it off to clean and the return to zero does change very little but at the range I always pull it off to shoot with the irons that's why I put QR rings on it. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Pop the pins out with a little hammer and punch while it's completely supported on a towel covered workbench.   Pick up the upper and wrap the scope in a plastic grocery bag using a rubber band to keep the bottom closed.  Run a wet patch or boresnake through, and put some CLP on the lugs.  Set it aside (far away from you) while you concentrate on the lower.  Set the lower aside and carefully return the upper to your work area.  Finish bore and chamber cleaning.  Reassemble the upper and lower.  Take bag off scope, clean lenses with soft brush and paper towel with windex.  Drink a beer and admire your attention to detail.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:30:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Leave it on.

I now clean with a jig that holds the upper and lower apart at a predertmined angle.

Look at this

Best for use with a bipod though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Only time I take my scope off is when I do a complete teardown and remove the handguard to CLP the barrel & gas tube.  The scope protrudes enough to prevent the top half of the guard from releasing from the delta ring.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:51:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Whatever it is you end up doing, do not get any lubricants or solvents on your glass. You should have a brush that is only for use on your glass and never comes into contact with any solvents or lubs.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top