Link Posted: 5/10/2014 1:02:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I try to clean each time I shoot.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 1:40:13 AM EDT
[#2]
never !
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there any un-biased research or hard evidence on cleaning intervals? One poster mentioned doing more harm than good by cleaning so often, another mentions that it is ill advised to use a bore brush too often.

The only thing in common with everyones methods, aside from them all being different, is that they all work!

Back to the OPs question, i clean mine after every time theyre shot, but i also shoot cheap dirty russian ammo so they certainly need it

I may forego the rifle cleaning after the next match/range session just to see how she performs that next time with no cleaning lol
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#4]
depends..... I don't get out to shoot a whole bunch so I usually clean after every range trip since the guns will be sitting in the safe for awhile until next use.

If I plan on shooting them a lot in a short amount of time....say several days in a span of a few weeks...I'll wait to clean them until it's time to put them back in the safe to sit for awhile.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on the rifle.  My duty rifle that is issued to me is cleaned every time it is fired and our agency's SOP is to strip it down, inspect and if necessary clean it monthly.  I use the same logic for my duty pistol and primary concealed carry pistol.  For my personal ARs I don't have a set schedule.  When I first got into shooting it was every time they were fired.  But the more familiar I became with the system, some reading I have done (See Pat Rogers, though I don't go that extreme) and the use of products like FireClean, the less I clean them.  I still typically clean them every 500rds or so, but that is primarily so I can inspect the parts for wear.  I am more OCD about cleaning my pistols than my rifles, especially my 1911s.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I clean mine about as much as i clean my glock, which is once a year.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lot of OCD in this thread.  Probably doing more harm than good to the firearms.
View Quote

Agree 100%..I been around firearms all my life.....You just know when they really need to be cleaned.  ( a lot of OCD here)...

MORE FIREARMS HAVE BEEN DAMAGED FROM OVER CLEANING

THEN

SHOOTING THEM DIRTY.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Curious can anyone cite hard evidence that proper cleaning using the correct materials and tools hurts a gun?  Is it based on the premise that the more often you clean the more chances you have of running a steel wool patch down the bore by accident using a rat tail file as a rod or leaving a copper solvent in it for a few weeks because you got distracted by something shiny in the middle of cleaning it?

I'm not seeing how running a cloth patch or even a copper brush 8,000 times  down a barrel has a chance of doing more damage than 8 copper projectiles being propelled with massive friction from an explosion at their tail?   We're talking hardened steel and or chrome here.

Granted taking something apart like a Ruger 22 anything to detail clean it more often than once a decade is not something I enjoy but my AR systems get cleaned after each trip to the range regardless of round count.   It might be weeks or even months before it gets its turn again and having a dirty gun in the safe is like having sand in my shorts, each time I walk past it it irritates me.

Link Posted: 5/21/2014 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I clean mine between 500 to 700 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Curious can anyone cite hard evidence that proper cleaning using the correct materials and tools hurts a gun?  Is it based on the premise that the more often you clean the more chances you have of running a steel wool patch down the bore by accident using a rat tail file as a rod or leaving a copper solvent in it for a few weeks because you got distracted by something shiny in the middle of cleaning it?

I'm not seeing how running a cloth patch or even a copper brush 8,000 times  down a barrel has a chance of doing more damage than 8 copper projectiles being propelled with massive friction from an explosion at their tail?   We're talking hardened steel and or chrome here.

Granted taking something apart like a Ruger 22 anything to detail clean it more often than once a decade is not something I enjoy but my AR systems get cleaned after each trip to the range regardless of round count.   It might be weeks or even months before it gets its turn again and having a dirty gun in the safe is like having sand in my shorts, each time I walk past it it irritates me.

View Quote

I agree. I've always wanted to go to some of these homes/shops and whait these people do when cleaning.
I also agree they can run dirty, but personally try to clean all my guns everytime I shoot them. I know they don't NEED it, but I'm also not harming them.

Rat tail file that's funny :)

ETA I will say that if your cleaning technique DOES damage your gun, you are better off not cleaning them, at leat until you can figure out what you are doing wrong....
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Probably not more than every 1000 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I just finished building my AR last week.  I have about 200 rounds through it now.  I lubed up the BCG and Barrel before firing, but I haven't cleaned it yet, around 185 rounds or so, I had to adjust the gas block to resolve a minor jamming issue.

I wonder if there is any merit to the idea that having a gun that is tuned to shoot "dirty" could save your life, as opposed to a gun that is always clean and can get gummed up and jam when you really need it.   That may only happen if you are under siege and have to shoot several hundred rounds before your done, but it's a thought!
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I try to clean my firearms the same day I shoot them but that sometimes doesn't work out. Like right now I am trying to see how long I can run my Bushy, w/o cleaning, till I start to get problems. So far, 3 range trips, 600 rounds and it's still running.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Every time it's fired it gets cleaned, THOROUGHLY!!!

I don't clean the bore every time but being my ass may be on the line, the carbine is as clean as clean can be. Then it's oiled with a liberal amount of Mobil 1 10w40 Synthetic Oil.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 1:01:27 AM EDT
[#15]
After every time I shoot it.  Especially if it's suppressed!
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I do the 3 consecutive day post firing maintenance I was trained to do.  If I haven't fired it, I inspect for rust monthly.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I clean mine 100% after every range session even if it is less than 100 rounds. (minus the gas tube)

Lite BCG lube before going to range, and lite lube the entire rifle before storage.

View Quote
I clean it after every time I shoot it no matter how many rounds, I lube it before I put it away and then just go shoot it.  No relubing before shooting for me.

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Every time it's fired it gets cleaned, THOROUGHLY!!!

I don't clean the bore every time but being my ass may be on the line, the carbine is as clean as clean can be. Then it's oiled with a liberal amount of Mobil 1 10w40 Synthetic Oil.
View Quote

This for me also...^^^.  For lube I am using Shooters Choice FP-10 lubricating oil.  I also use it on my Kimber .45 and have had zero issues to date.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Must of my ARs 1000ish. But my HD AR every time I shoot.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Whenever I shoot any of my firearms I clean them thoroughly that same day. I'm sure it's not necessary but Ai like having them all nice and clean.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Must of my ARs 1000ish. But my HD AR every time I shoot.
View Quote

Similar here. SD guns, every time they are shot. Not only is it important to keep them clean, but the regular inspection is also important.

Fun, secondary or training guns - when I feel like it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Here are my steps....
1. Shoot
2. Wipe grease of BCG
3. Clean chamber with chamber brush thingamajigger
4. Boresnake one time
5. Re-Grease BCG
6. Assemble

By clean I mean just twist it around a couple times and get the grit out
I do scrape some of the carbon off my bolt as well
That's really about it, I'm not some cleaning whore.

I also blow dirt out of the FCG and just kind of look over the rifle checking for any oddities.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 8:15:48 AM EDT
[#23]
After every shooting session, unless it was ~50 rounds or less then I wipe the BCG down and run one patch through the bore.

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#24]
With my precision 24" match barrel upper ( which I shoot weekly) I like some copper built up in the bore so I clean the carbon and lube  about every 200 rounds and do a quick copper clean and scrub about every 500. My 16" upper i'm more concerned with prohibiting corrosion so I clean and lube after each outing because I never know how long it will sit unfired.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I enjoy cleaning,
View Quote

Where do you live?  I've got some "enjoyment" for you.

On the serious side, I put gun cleaning on the same level of enjoyment as mowing the yard.  Rewarding when it is done, but not fun.

I usually clean mine after 2 months or 200 rounds, then lube with Balistol and blow excess off dis-assembled parts with compressed air, let it sit for 24 hours, wipe off the drip spots, then re-assemble.  Run a dry rag through the bore after cleaning. My 5.56 is a gas piston.  If I don't clean the gas block after 2-300 round, it get so crudded up I can't turn it form one shot to semi-auto if suppressed without a big a$$ wrench.  AR type .308 not so much for the gas block.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:04:53 AM EDT
[#26]
After every time I fire it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seems like shooting would be no fun...1 mag=30 cleanings
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:17:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oops!!

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Because of this thread, I stopped cleaning my AR just to see how long i could go before misfires.

Its been 4-5 local carbine matches and one range trip to sight in new scope. All in all, approx 500rds of Wolf/TulAmmo steel case and so far not a single malfunction. I have not done anything to the rifle but shoot it. No wipe down, no re oil, nothing.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Because of this thread, I stopped cleaning my AR just to see how long i could go before misfires.

Its been 4-5 local carbine matches and one range trip to sight in new scope. All in all, approx 500rds of Wolf/TulAmmo steel case and so far not a single malfunction. I have not done anything to the rifle but shoot it. No wipe down, no re oil, nothing.
View Quote

My AR's shoot better Dirty..... A Dirty AR is a badge of honor....

Just make sure you clean it before going into battle.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Fireclean
Wipdown every 1000 or so rounds, detail once a year in the winter, 3 gun off season.
View Quote

this, anymore than that is neurotic.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I apply a few drops of  Weapon Shield to the lube points, and run a bore snake down the bore but I only fully clean the rifle every 1000 rounds
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:16:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is it strange that I wipe mine down with microfiber and check oil coats daily?

View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I used to kick my own ass cleaning my weapons to the extreme after each use. And I'd use a bore cleaner, hoppes, and an oil. I still clean them after range trips however, now all I use is EWL. I wipe down the bcg and bolt, quick wipe of the chamber, 10 or so cotton swabs down the bore (the first soaked in EWL, the last dabbed with it), function check, back in the safe. That's all it NEEDS imo.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I think the overcleaning that many of us do is harming rifling, etc.  It's not basic anymore, get off the filth and drive on.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:55:17 PM EDT
[#36]
I clean mine after every time I shoot it, if I fired 1 round I wouldn't but I usually fire at least 100. And when I do clean it I do it the least amount abrasive as possible. I'm a firm believer in taking good care of the things that you expect to take care of you when sh1t goes south
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#37]
i run the bore snake down my 12.5 inch if its going to be stored a while...

other than that, i just lube the BCG and go...

i dont wipe down anything..

i remember reading a post on here of a guy that had an LMT that he never cleaned, it was so bad that the dirt and grime on the inside looked caked on.. and still shot like a champ.. i want to see if my rifle can do that.. if not, then i need a better rifle.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
AR-15, when I get bored I clean it. Not after every range trip.

Carry gun, I clean it the same day I shoot it.
View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top