BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/8/2014 7:36:48 PM EDT
Hey guys I am new to cleaning my Colt AR and wanted to get some insight on which brands of lube are the best. Also should I be using different types of lube throughout the gun or will one type lube every component?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have tried some of the fancy stuff....  and went back to breakfree CLP.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have tried some of the fancy stuff....  and went back to breakfree CLP.
View Quote

+1

Don't overthink your lube.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Astroglide .         In all seriousness use slip2000 ewl,their carbon killer took stuff out of the barrel m pro 7 and hoppes no 9 left
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Astroglide .         In all seriousness use slip2000 ewl,their carbon killer took stuff out of the barrel m pro 7 and hoppes no 9 left
View Quote

I prefer KY   I soaked my boresnake in it and ran the the boresnake through it, all I have to say with that and FL, I am still pulling carbon out of it.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used hoppes no. 9 and clp in the past. Recently I've tried slip 2000 and really like it how it cleans and lubricates and is non toxic with no nasty smell. Now I kind of want to try fireclean. Froglube looks interesting but I don't know if I want to go through the application process.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I've tried a bunch of different gun lubes. My current favorite is SLIP 2000 gun lube. It does a great job of staying where you put it and is very slick. It's also non toxic and has little to no odor. Good stuff fo sho'!  I also use TW-25b grease on the bolt carrier rails, cam pin, wear spots on the charging handle and the small hump that goes around the bolt about halfway down. I don't use a lot, just enough to leave a very thin coating.
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/lubricant-protectant-oils/slip-2000-lubricant-prod41759.aspx
http://www.coolguyguns.com/Grease-_p_23.html

The only lube I really don't like is FrogLube. I wanted to like it...but after using it for awhile I noticed it tended to get a very gummy feeling to it. I also stopped using anything that is toxic or has a strong odor.

Another lube Ive heard a lot of good things about but have yet to try is FireClean.
http://www.cleanergun.com
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:12:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have used hoppes no. 9 and clp in the past. Recently I've tried slip 2000 and really like it how it cleans and lubricates and is non toxic with no nasty smell. Now I kind of want to try fireclean. Froglube looks interesting but I don't know if I want to go through the application process.
View Quote

It adds 20 minutes to the entire process, if that.  Granted I have only been using it for a couple of months or so, but to be honest, I am wondering what took me so long to start using it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:51:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I like fireclean, but CLP is still good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:55:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Mobil
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#10]
MPro-7 LPX oil for me.  Stays wet, stays put.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:11:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Lubriplate grease.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#12]
So far Slip is the winner in my book.  Plan on trying Fireclean soon.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Slip and TW-25b are my favorites.  I clean with Ballistol or Slip's cleaner.  I clean the outside of most of my guns with Ballistol.  I quit using CLP due to it being toxic and leaving excessive carbon after firing the gun.
FrogLube became gummy in some weapons after a while.  I still have a ton of FrogLube, sometimes I'll use it on the outside of a weapon, such as the muzzle break on my Barretts.
I also use Super Lube on some weapons.  It is cheap and I believe it works as good as TW-25b.

My work Glock has had 250 rounds through it in the last month, carried everyday, and Slip2000 is still wet inside the gun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Slip works well for me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:05:57 AM EDT
[#15]
You would get off easier calling someones' Mama a bitch then to insult their favorite lube.....but here are my thoughts.

In this order, I've used the following; BreakFree CLP, Slip 2000 and TW25B; I came back to Slip2000, the reason being TW25B separates and you cannot fully get it back into solution. If I was using large quantities of lube, I'd use it, but for my purposes, Slip2000 gets my business.

IMHO, almost anything will work for short range sessions and low round counts, but when you move into more intensive training, higher round counts, etc. then the longevity and quality of your lube needs to increase. Some lubes, whether we want to admit it or not, burn off quicker than others. I won't mention which ones that I have used here; see my first sentence.

But as others have said, don't over think it, find a quality lube or motor oil that you like or think has a pretty bottle or whatever and go with it. It is more important to keep the rifle properly lubed with something rather than brand.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I have in my bag Shooters Choice Bore cleaner, Break Free CLP and Shooters Choice FP-10 lube.

Will be trying Slip 2000 but the above work great.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#17]
mobil 1 cannot be beat for performance, price, availability, and functionality.  There is no one lube that does it all however, Mobil 1 does more better than most.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Slip and TW-25b are my favorites.  I clean with Ballistol or Slip's cleaner.  I clean the outside of most of my guns with Ballistol.  I quit using CLP due to it being toxic and leaving excessive carbon after firing the gun.
FrogLube became gummy in some weapons after a while.  I still have a ton of FrogLube, sometimes I'll use it on the outside of a weapon, such as the muzzle break on my Barretts.
I also use Super Lube on some weapons.  It is cheap and I believe it works as good as TW-25b.

My work Glock has had 250 rounds through it in the last month, carried everyday, and Slip2000 is still wet inside the gun.
View Quote

250 is like spitting in the wind:)  I have one AR with 3200 and not relubed it since applying Mobil 1.  At 1k it looked like I just lubed it.  At 2k it looked wet.  Now at 3k it looks like its' been used.  I will make it to 4 this weekend and take a pic for the hive.  I lubed this rifle 3 mos ago.

note:  I lube generously before doing things like this
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#19]
What's wrong with Hoppe's?

Obviously it's not a super ridiculo high performance but it does fine on my pistols and shotguns. Just curious.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#20]
There's a reason Bravo Company includes Slip with their uppers!  The Slip cleaning products are OK and I use them (Carbon Killer and 725), but other cleaning products may be better.  That said, my cleaning regimen is good enough that the Slip products suffice.  Back on to lubrication, don't overthink it, just make sure to run the weapon wet with the lube of your choice.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#21]
so, frog lube is not in vogue anymore? I just got a whole jar, dammit.  It's worked good so far. Of course I have my one mix of ATF and synth oil, garand grease and sundry others that work great as well.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What's wrong with Hoppe's?

Obviously it's not a super ridiculo high performance but it does fine on my pistols and shotguns. Just curious.
View Quote

It's a thin mineral oil just like RemOil it tends to burn off quickly and it will get "gummy" if left on for long periods of time.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:31:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

250 is like spitting in the wind:)  I have one AR with 3200 and not relubed it since applying Mobil 1.  At 1k it looked like I just lubed it.  At 2k it looked wet.  Now at 3k it looks like its' been used.  I will make it to 4 this weekend and take a pic for the hive.  I lubed this rifle 3 mos ago.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

250 rounds and carried everyday for a month is like spitting in the wind, but some other lubes I used in the past would not even make it through that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's a thin mineral oil just like RemOil it tends to burn off quickly and it will get "gummy" if left on for long periods of time.
View Quote

Thanks. I was unaware of the gummmy part. I would not have guessed that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Lube with Mobil and clean with clp
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had the same exact experience with Hoppes and Rem Oil.  Absolutely terrible, I dare say counterproductive.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

250 rounds and carried everyday for a month is like spitting in the wind, but some other lubes I used in the past would not even make it through that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear you.....
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't know what's the "best" but here's what I use after trying many:

Light Solvent: Hoppes 9
Heavy Solvent: Butch's Bore Shine(this one's dangerous, you can do serious damage to anything if you leave it on too long. use this only if you are removing copper buildup and are forserious about it)

Normal Lube: Mobile 1 10w30(weight is best of both worlds, imho, and can be used in hot or cold)
Heavy Lube/Storage: Slip 2000 EWL

CLP: Breakfree(can't beat a classic)

Light Grease: TW-25b(tends to separate, but has some properties other greases lack, like somehow running clean)
Heavy Grease: Aeroshell 33ms

Am broke and need to clean guns for storage or need a vast bucket of lube for soaking: WD40, have large bucket of it
Have Mosin that has Cosmoline all over it and need to get it out: odorless mineral spirits and/or boiling water

Don't use break cleaner because hear some of it can cause cancer.

There is a school of thought out there that says don't use oils with PTFE in it. I don't subscribe to that school of thought.

Don't use excessively flammable things on a gun if you are about to fire it. Besides that little word of wisdom, you're probably good to go: example, some manufacturers recommend lighter fluid to clean out triggers. Its fine after a short time, but don't catch it on fire if you can help it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone use the Wilson Combat grease or any of their other oils?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:58:43 AM EDT
[#30]
What ever I can get for free, buying lube is for suckers...especially over hyped,expensive wonder lubes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What ever I can get for free, buying lube is for suckers...especially over hyped,expensive wonder lubes.
View Quote

I agree.

I have bottles of stuff that are more than 20 years old, because I went for the
"latest, greatest"...

In the end, use what you have and then try something new when you run out.

At the rate I shoot, I'll never run out of the various bottles of "new" stuff I've
accumulated over the last 30-35 years of shooting.

If I had to pick TODAY:

SLIP EWL for "Lubing/Protecting"

and Hoppe's Benchrest for all borecleaning work.

Hoppe's Semi-Auto Solvent cleans carbon on contact, degreases,
and then evaporates, so you MUST lube afterwards, nice for actions
and other removable parts.

You can leave the Benchrest overnight and not damage your barrels-
per mfr instructions....

Stuff I thought were a waste:

Remington 40-X Borecleaner.
(Supposed to use abrasive action to clean barrels ONLY
and warns to keep out of firearm action- due to abrasives
getting into mechanism and causing wear on moving parts.)

I guess I could use in in semi-auto barrels, once disassembled....

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Astroglide liquid, not that gel crap.

Wait, what were we talking about again?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#33]
It always amazes me how folks can fall for the hype

Frog lube

Fire clean

Gun Butter

Really???

Knowledge is the key.. Knowing when and where to use lube,and how often, that is the secret that seem to escape so many.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:55:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It always amazes me how folks can fall for the hype

Frog lube

Fire clean

Gun Butter

Really???

Knowledge is the key.. Knowing when and where to use lube,and how often, that is the secret that seem to escape so many.
View Quote

couldn't agree more

I know first hand of the testing and design of the Mobil 1 package and after seeing what I did, talking to the engineers etc, will never use anything else.  I've been using it for years and could not be happier and it stays wet so long..............'that's what she said'
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Been using Super Lube from Harbor Freight for many years and it works pretty well
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Just say no to Remoil. Ive been using MPro7 and it stays wet after a couple hundred rounds, I like it OK but will be moving on to Mobil 1 when this bottle is gone.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm a newbie too : )
When its said that Mobile 1 is used, do you use it all AR Lube Points?
Here is a copy and paste of the post were I'm getting the Lube Points.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_7/548967_AR15_LUBE_POINTS.html

Thanks

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm a newbie too : )
When its said that Mobile 1 is used, do you use it all AR Lube Points?
Here is a copy and paste of the post were I'm getting the Lube Points.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_7/548967_AR15_LUBE_POINTS.html

Thanks

View Quote

I use it for everything.  There is no need for anything else
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#40]
For the AR's, Fireclean.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#41]
When I used CLP and Hoppes (oil in the orange bottle), I didn't have any problems. However, when a buddy gave me a bottle of Slip2000; I noticed that I lubed my BCG less often and with a smaller amount of oil. So now I use and recommend Slip2000 EWL.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
mobil 1 cannot be beat for performance, price, availability, and functionality.  There is no one lube that does it all however, Mobil 1 does more better than most.
View Quote

THIS. I use 10w-40....I like it a bit thicker.  Doesn't smell as good as Breakfree, but it doesn't cost as much either. I also use synthetic motor oil as case lube when reloading.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Slip 2000 725 for cleaning and EWL for lube.

I'd like to try the EWG sometime.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#44]
I started using Froglube when I started shooting AR's.  Haven't tried anything else.  Still have my first little bottle of the stuff.  A little goes a long way.
I clean with Hoppes Elite and Breakfree CLP.  

When the Froglube runs out I might try some of the Slip products.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 5:42:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I started using Froglube when I started shooting AR's.  Haven't tried anything else.  Still have my first little bottle of the stuff.  A little goes a long way.
I clean with Hoppes Elite and Breakfree CLP.  

When the Froglube runs out I might try some of the Slip products.
View Quote

youre not suppose to mix froglube with oil based cleaners.  They negate each other.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#46]
I use the froglube on my BCG which is cleaned with the Hoppes Elite.  The CLP is used on the barrel
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I use the froglube on my BCG which is cleaned with the Hoppes Elite.  The CLP is used on the barrel
View Quote

http://froglube.com/froglube-product-info/froglube-directions/
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Between the military, products I have purchased myself and the products I have been given by sponsors, at SHOT show, at training classes and at competitions I've used just about all of them.

I'm going to recommend you use whatever you can get free or cheap. If you must pay for it, then Breakfree CLP is cost effective and easy to find just about anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I had the same exact experience with Hoppes and Rem Oil.  Absolutely terrible, I dare say counterproductive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hoppes lube in the orange bottle with the white cap is nearly pure mineral oil.

Rem Oil is mostly mineral spirits and some teflon. Rem oil is actually a pretty good cleaner for my muzzle breaks.

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Well it depends. If Im hungry I use froglube and eat half bottle. If Im not hungry I use Rem-oil with teflon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top