Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2014 10:00:25 AM EDT
So I just picked up my first AR15, an Armalite M15A4.  The guy at the gun store where I did the transfer told me that the rifle probably needs to be wiped down because it would have been coated in oils or lubes when it was first stored (by the dealer I guess).  So my questions are this:  

Does anyone know exactly what I need to wipe down before I go shoot it this weekend?  

If I do wipe it down, do I need to re-lubricate certain parts before going shooting this weekend?  For what it's worth, I do intend to read the manual and watch YouTube videos to confirm that I know how to at least perform a basic field strip before I go.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the goop redish in color?  It could be covered in cosmoline.  I would clean it with a clp, run a patch or two through the bore, and add lube to the bolt in the recommended places.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#2]
On a new firearm you should take the time to thoroughly clean it and then lube it well  prior to shooting.  CLP...flavor of the month!
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Clean the rifle as if was shot and re lube using something like BF CLP.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Always clean a new (or new to you) rifle before your first trip to the range.  Especially the bore.  I had a rifle that bought new that had a portion of a zip tie in the bore.  Had I not cleaned it and found that, it probably would not have ended well for the rifle (or me).
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Always clean a new (or new to you) rifle before your first trip to the range.  Especially the bore.  I had a rifle that bought new that had a portion of a zip tie in the bore.  Had I not cleaned it and found that, it probably would not have ended well for the rifle (or me).
View Quote

Or, depending on the size of the piece, it would have just blasted out the muzzle...

The barrel would have hated you though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#7]
That is a great ink, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Less is more when it comes to lubrication.

Clean.. wipe dry... save yourself the trouble and just donate an old white T_shirt up front for cleaning. I just cut little squares out of mine and toss them when im done.
Lube your specific friction points.

Lube can attract dirt and grime.
So less is more in the right places.

Shoot a few rounds (50-100).. take it apart and inspect the wear points. Lube there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#9]
A lot of new rifles come with lube that is safe to shoot with vs. let's say a mosin. But it's still a safe practice to give everything a once over before firing. I once had an armorer put an abrasive on my bolt for the first use to break it in. I think it was just snake oil. Buy, clean, lube, break in DRY barrel.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:07:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, dry barrel. Don't learn the hard way.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#11]
+ 1.....you will be surprised what comes out of the bore....new weapon !.....G
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
On a new firearm you should take the time to thoroughly clean it and then lube it well  prior to shooting.  CLP...flavor of the month!
View Quote
Truth.

The barrels itself can have so much oil and gunk when it was made.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

A couple of years ago I bought a new barrel for my M16.  I cleaned the barrel several times before it went to the Funsmith for installation.  I got a LOT of oil and stuff out of the barrel.  As for the rest of the rifle....What you don't clean might hurt you.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 3:50:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Less is more when it comes to lubrication.

Clean.. wipe dry... save yourself the trouble and just donate an old white T_shirt up front for cleaning. I just cut little squares out of mine and toss them when im done.
Lube your specific friction points.

Lube can attract dirt and grime.
So less is more in the right places.

Shoot a few rounds (50-100).. take it apart and inspect the wear points. Lube there.
View Quote

No. This was the mistaken belief over a decade ago. A lesson that had to be relearned in the deserts after it was forgotten from the jungle.
You almost can't overlube. It's better to be wet and dirty than dry or damp and dirty.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#16]
When you first get a new rifle or handgun, start with a thorough cleaning.  This accomplishes a number of things:

First, you can familiarize yourself with the inner workings and get a baseline view of how the parts look (helps identify wear later).
Second, there's likely oil, grease, perhaps even cosmoline that should be cleaned off prior to shooting.
Third, you'll have a better chance of identifying any manufacturing issues prior to that first range trip (like a carbine length gas tube on a mid-length gas system reported by an arfcommer in the past)
Finally, you'll know it's lubed  and cleaned to your specs.

All this will contribute to a more successful first trip.  It may extend the life of the rifle, and will likely make you more confident in handling the weapon.

This is easy for me to say, I had to wait almost 5 weeks from when I got my first AR to the first range trip as we had the harshest winter on record this year.  In fact I had my second AR before I got to shoot the first!  Cleaning them was a great way for me to at least be able to handle and admire my ARs.  Just leaving them in the safe was killing me!

Have fun and be safe.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Clean the crap out of it. I just got a new Armalite AR10, and I cleaned that sucker for hours. To save money, I used WD40 on the non-pressurized parts. Cleaned it with a big ole bucket. Then degreased, and reapplied EWL. I used a bit of solvent on the BCG, and barrel as well, and I greased the trigger areas where there was trigger contact. Just did a full detailing right out of the box. It needed it, it was dirty as crap. Always clean an unknown weapon before shooting it for the first time. Play it safe.

Plus, as mentioned, if you're here, you probably love your guns, so cleaning will likely be enjoyable. Remember the first time is the best.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A lot of new rifles come with lube that is safe to shoot with vs. let's say a mosin. But it's still a safe practice to give everything a once over before firing. I once had an armorer put an abrasive on my bolt for the first use to break it in. I think it was just snake oil. Buy, clean, lube, break in DRY barrel.
View Quote

What is it meant by "break in Dry Barrel"
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

A zip tie?  Damn.  What brand?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So I just picked up my first AR15, an Armalite M15A4.  The guy at the gun store where I did the transfer told me that the rifle probably needs to be wiped down because it would have been coated in oils or lubes when it was first stored (by the dealer I guess).  So my questions are this:  

Does anyone know exactly what I need to wipe down before I go shoot it this weekend?  

If I do wipe it down, do I need to re-lubricate certain parts before going shooting this weekend?  For what it's worth, I do intend to read the manual and watch YouTube videos to confirm that I know how to at least perform a basic field strip before I go.

Thanks!
View Quote

I have have an ArmaLite M15A2 Carbine that I bought a few years ago. It was my first AR15 so I took it home and followed the instructions guide and how to disassemble it, clean it and then lube it while putting it back together. I wanted to be sure that the barrel was clear and it also gives some basic function testing to be sure the AR15 is working correctly. I took it the gun range and fired 120 rounds the first time out.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#21]
This field strip guide is nicely done:   http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_7/456002_Field_stripping_the_AR15__massive_pics_.html

Semi-auto rifles cycle the action in a pretty violent way - keep you AR well lubed with just about any low viscosity oil.  Spray lubes really penetrate into all those nooks and crannies of moving parts. There is no need to spend a bunch of money on firearm specific lubricants. But it does pay to spend time field stripping and maintaining your rifle (bore cleaner is the one thing that necessarily is purchased just for guns).

Cleaning an AR is actually kind of fun if you have a place big enough to lay down an old towel and start pushing pins.  The smell of Hoppe's Number 9 takes me back to all kinds of hunting camps and good times.

Snug15
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hydraulic damage to the bore
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:18:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

ReverendPowell,

In my book wether it's new or old I always clean and properly oil all the moving parts before heading to the range. The outside exposed sections of the rifle you might wipe it down using a big oily patch of Breakfree which is what I use to keep the parkerizing fresh. Usually out of the box most AR's have a very light oil finish as a preserative only.

Impala
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hydraulic damage to me is using to much fluid, it be oil or other.
So "break in Dry Barrel"   this means break in a new barrel dry, or don't go crazy with lube on
new barrel.....no lube in inside of barrel at all
from what I see in the lube point chart you don't lube barrel. Is this correct?

just clean no lube ever?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Use lube to clean it just make sure to patch till dry when done. You can lube it for storage but its good to punch bore real quick before taking out to shoot. And you're right they say it's really only a problem if you go crazy with the lube but the fact still remains that it wont compress no matter whether it's a lot or a little. It's honestly not even a huge issue I've done it tones of times on some of my guns due to being in humid areas and keeping lube in there but all the little things add up.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top