Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2014 5:25:22 AM EDT
Anyone using this? Reccomended to me by an an across the course highpower guy.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:35:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I've used MCP FP-10 and found weapons shield CLP to be a better product.
MCP fp-10 and Shooters choice fp-10 used to be the same product back when I used them, do not know if this still is the case.

Really for a lube on a AR all you need is BreakFree CLP (or one of the sister brands like Winchester CLP)
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 7:56:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I use the Shooters Choice FP-10, yes I will recommend it.  Stays put and makes cleanup a snap.  I also like Slip EWL.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use the Shooters Choice FP-10, yes I will recommend it.  Stays put and makes cleanup a snap.  I also like Slip EWL.
View Quote

I also use FP-10 for all my guns.

I will first clean with hopes 9 or shooters choice bore cleaner if needed...then Breakfree CLP until clean.  Then FP-10 for lube and rust protection.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#4]
use on my ar. works great.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I will first clean with hopes 9 or shooters choice bore cleaner if needed...then Breakfree CLP until clean.  Then FP-10 for lube and rust protection.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BF CLP has better rust prevent than fp-10
Also your using a stronger cleaner first, then a weaker cleaner. (hopes bf clp)
both fp-10 and bf clp are types of clp.

try cleaning with just fp-10, I found on the pistols and rifles it got them good enough clean.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

try cleaning with just fp-10, I found on the pistols and rifles it got them good enough clean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FP-10 is just lubricating oil and is not for cleaning.

I think most people here start with removing carbon and other crap with a solvent of some type (hopes 9 or clp) before applying any lube.  I know that alot of people use just CLP for everything.   Don't know what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think most people here start with removing carbon and other crap with a solvent of some type (hopes 9 or clp) before applying any lube.  I know that alot of people use just CLP for everything.   Don't know what you are talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

George C. Fennell, has stated otherwise, but he just came up with fp-10 so what would he know.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

George C. Fennell, has stated otherwise, but he just came up with fp-10 so what would he know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As Gregory_K has stated, the Firepower FP-10 from MPC is and was always sold as a LCP(Lubricant,Cleaner Protectant),and it does clean rather well by way of penetration(no solvent content),about as well as any of the newer,more environmentally friendly CLP's currently available.
To further note,I always used the Firepower FP-10 as a CLP without an issue.But I do also use Hoppe's No.9 for detailed cleaning.Regardless no issues.

I have not used the Shooters Choice brand FP-10 Lubricant Ellite in over a decade so I can't comment on how it currently compares to the Firepower FP-10 from MPC(Muscle Products Corp).If I remember correctly,at one time they were one in the same though.

Also agree that the Weapon Shield is a better product.George Fennell designed the newer Weapon Shield in 2006-2007 using full synthetic (again no solvent content) formula with a slight viscosity increase(near perfect viscosity IMHO) rather than the synthetic blend he previously used in the older FP-10 formula.As a result IMHO, the Weapon Shield stays on the parts,does not evaporate off,or migrate and pool as badly in storage/use as the the old Firepower FP-10 did.

I previously used the Firepower FP-10 for nearly ten years and never had a complaint in that time.Been using the Weapon Shield since 2007 and can say its a fantastic product..
Do a search there is a metric ton of posts and information available on various forums,covering both products,especially the Firepower FP-10 as it has been in use since the 90's.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the FP-10 I use:

http://www.shooters-choice.com/fp-10-lubricant-elite

It says it removes carbon but I just use it for lubrication as stated on the bottle.  I would not rely solely on it for complete cleaning.

George C. Fennell developed FP-10 strictly as a lubricant.....his new company is Weapon Shield which is a CLP.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#10]
It a standard on my bench
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Nope, Breakfree clp for me sir.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Where's the Mobile Oil guy?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:56:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone using this? Reccomended to me by an an across the course highpower guy.
View Quote

jcj54,

I'm currently using this and have found no big difference between this oil over any other. It's a much lighter oil as mine is like water. Personally I prefer Breakfree.

Impala
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Break Free CLP is VERY universal.

FP 10 is better at lubing; I use it for Trigger Group.

But FP 10 is INFERIOR to CLP at rust protection. So don´t use it at the outside of the gun ( too thin and too expensive, anyway )

Hermann
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Break Free CLP is VERY universal.

FP 10 is better at lubing; I use it for Trigger Group.

But FP 10 is INFERIOR to CLP at rust protection. So don´t use it at the outside of the gun ( too thin and too expensive, anyway )

Hermann
View Quote

This.

I've had some blue guns show signs of rust when using FP-10. CLP is a much better rust preventative.

FP-10 was little too thin for my tastes. I usually mixed it up with 50/50 FP-10 and Mobile1 and then it made an excellent lube IMO.

It does penetrate very well though and I've successfully used it on frozen bolts.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can call any oil a CLP and claim it cleans. But unless it contains a solvent like old Breakfree CLP they dont clean very well. There is a trend in the industry moving away from solvents. So many of the "CLP's" don't have them now or have been reformulated to remove them.

That said FP-10 is a good product. So is weapons shield.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 3:47:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I have never been convinced any one product can do three jobs. I have found a bore cleaner works best to clean bores and remove powder and jacket fouling. Removing carbon usually takes a different solvent. And what lubricates moving parts well does not always prevent exterior corrosion. Products sold as CLPs may do one thing well but not all three. I have used FP10
on my precision target pistols as a lube for 25 years with superior performance. Just wondered if it would be good as a lube for my NM AR as well.  Because this rifle will not be a combat arm I want a lube that will give the best performance across the course.
Sorry to have sparked such a firestorm.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have never been convinced any one product can do three jobs. I have found a bore cleaner works best to clean bores and remove powder and jacket fouling. Removing carbon usually takes a different solvent. And what lubricates moving parts well does not always prevent exterior corrosion. Products sold as CLPs may do one thing well but not all three. I have used FP10
on my precision target pistols as a lube for 25 years with superior performance. Just wondered if it would be good as a lube for my NM AR as well.  Because this rifle will not be a combat arm I want a lube that will give the best performance across the course.
Sorry to have sparked such a firestorm.
View Quote

The old military CLP's that contained a high percentage of solvents actually worked pretty good in all three roles.  The new low solvent and no solvent CLP's not so much.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Yet to use/see a CLP that removes copper.

For carbon lube and rust prevent
BF CLP (old new)
FP-10
Weapons Shield
Eezox

all worked good enough (for me)

fp-10 was alittle light on rust prevent, while eezox was the best at rust prevent, but a bit of a pain to apply.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yet to use/see a CLP that removes copper.
View Quote

True. But for a chrome lined carbine its not needed.

I have one 14.5" Brl with 12,539 rounds through it without a copper remover ever being used.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top