Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/4/2014 7:35:27 PM EDT
What's the best way you guys have found to get the carbon build up off the rear of the bolt? Scraping it is a pain in the ass but not sure what else to do...
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:22:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Take the bolt out of the carrier and I use frog lube, takes it right off.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 3:16:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just use Fireclean and it doesn't build up anymore.
View Quote

I still have some get built up, but it comes off almost completely with a thumbnail.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 5:46:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I toss the bolt and carrier in a cheap Harbor Fright ultra sonic cleaner and let it run while I clean the rest on the rifle. After about 20-30 minutes soaking in the ultra sonic the carbon wipes right off. Only problem is I wish I would have done this years ago lol.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Most people these days use a dedicated carbon removal tool.

The two best ones seem to the the CAT 4 and the Otis BONE.
Both scrape the carbon off the rear "tail" of the bolt, out of the bolt carrier, and off the front side of the firing pin flange.
They do this quickly without any soaking or scrubbing, and will do it without damaging anything if used properly.
If you'd like to remove bolt and carrier carbon fast and without a lot of drama, this is the way to go.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/combination-tools/ar-15-m16-ar-style-308-cat-tool-prod31857.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/combination-tools/otis-b-o-n-e-tool-prod57170.aspx
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Most people these days use a dedicated carbon removal tool.

The two best ones seem to the the CAT 4 and the Otis BONE.
Both scrape the carbon off the rear "tail" of the bolt, out of the bolt carrier, and off the front side of the firing pin flange.
They do this quickly without any soaking or scrubbing, and will do it without damaging anything if used properly.
If you'd like to remove bolt and carrier carbon fast and without a lot of drama, this is the way to go.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/combination-tools/ar-15-m16-ar-style-308-cat-tool-prod31857.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/combination-tools/otis-b-o-n-e-tool-prod57170.aspx
View Quote

Awesome thanks for the links. Might have to pick up that Otis BONE when it gets back in stock
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
It's for sale on amazon for like $22 with free second day shipping if you are prime.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I use breakfree clp, brass scraper tool and an all purpose brush.  I just scrape, soak, scrub and scrape some more until it is clean enough for me.  There are a few specific tools sold to clean the bolt tail if that is something you would be interested in.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 6:00:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What's the best way you guys have found to get the carbon build up off the rear of the bolt? Scraping it is a pain in the ass but not sure what else to do...
View Quote

Michigan71,

I just use oil and scrap or even use a beat up copper 22 brush. Doesn't take long to get it clean.

Impala
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#10]
A $2, two inch brass wire wheel and a drill gets the carbon off the tail of the bolt.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 6:30:52 AM EDT
[#11]
An empty 308 cartridge and a spritz of Hoppes on the tails before to start is all you need to scrape it of and get it clean.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#12]
The dedicated tool from Brownells is good.  I have it because I am a little OCD.  However you also don;t really need to keep it that clean, get the chunks off, lube, drive on with life.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Why must any carbon build up be removed?

Cory Trapp from NSSF ways it is not necessary and has no effect on operation.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW4DQ5QlwrA

Be nice, I'm just asking.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why must any carbon build up be removed?

Cory Trapp from NSSF ways it is not necessary and has no effect on operation.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW4DQ5QlwrA

Be nice, I'm just asking.
View Quote

Queue Jeopardy music..
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Michigan71,

I just use oil and scrap or even use a beat up copper 22 brush. Doesn't take long to get it clean.

Impala
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Michigan71,

Impala

This
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just use Fireclean and it doesn't build up anymore.
View Quote

I am seeing similar results too.
Just started using it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:04:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top