Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2014 4:38:34 AM EDT
I recently bought a DMPS M4 carbine.  Altho I do not have carbon build up yet, I would like to know how you clean it off the bolt carrier and bolt.  I know there are expensive tools out there for this, but, have heard they are not necessary or do a good job.  So, what home-made tools do you use?  Thank you
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 4:54:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Solvent like Hoppes, old tooth brush, wipe with rag, then lube before reassembly. Should be fine. Pretty simple don't over think it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:21:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I recently bought a DMPS M4 carbine.  Altho I do not have carbon build up yet, I would like to know how you clean it off the bolt carrier and bolt.  I know there are expensive tools out there for this, but, have heard they are not necessary or do a good job.  So, what home-made tools do you use?  Thank you
View Quote

In my personal experience, there's no need to scrape off the carbon. I usually just wipe off the loose stuff and lube with slip 2000 EWL. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. I've been good for 17k in one of my rifles with this method.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:50:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In my personal experience, there's no need to scrape off the carbon. I usually just wipe off the loose stuff and lube with slip 2000 EWL. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. I've been good for 17k in one of my rifles with this method.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

It's no big deal.  You'll probably do more damage trying to remove it than it will cause by being there.  Plus you will never get all of it off of the bolt boat tail.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

A paper towel works. Here I am demonstrating after a few hundred rounds mostly suppressed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TO6Mt4NOqI
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#5]

I use solvent and a rag

Link Posted: 2/8/2014 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use Slip EWL and it will wipe clean. Great stuff.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Came here looking for recommendations on the same. So a little carbon I get. But are you guys saying that when it builds up like this on the boat tail and also in the carrier where the boat tail sits, not to worry about it? I've been scrubbing this one for 30 minutes!

Link Posted: 2/8/2014 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I do a combination scrape/brush to clean mine.

I soak it pretty well prior to shooting with lube, but it burns off in short order and the crud begins to build up.

I clean it well when I have the time to clean it - which is every time I shoot it.  Hopefully, I'll always have time/tools/supplies to clean it with after shooting.  Just in case, I like to have it clean when I start.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Just bite the bullet and buy either a CAT 4 tool or an Otis BONE tool.
These tools will remove the carbon from the bolt carrier, the bolt tail, and the front of the flange of the firing pin.

They don't cost THAT much, they keep the carbon from building up, won't harm the parts if used correctly, and last forever.  Plus, they clean the carbon off in seconds with no soaking or scrubbing:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/combination-tools/cat-m4-tool-sku100004448-31857-53738.aspx?sku=100-004-448

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/combination-tools/otis-b-o-n-e-tool-prod57170.aspx
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I just use a piece of .223 brass  to scrape it off. The mouth of the brass is almost a perfect fit for that curve in the tail. Brass is softer than the bolt and wont hurt it a bit.
You might be able to find that size brass somewhere if you look hard enough
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just use a piece of .223 brass  to scrape it off. The mouth of the brass is almost a perfect fit for that curve in the tail. Brass is softer than the bolt and wont hurt it a bit.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to give that a try
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly what I do

Link Posted: 2/13/2014 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Exactly what I do

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly what I do

Same here

Link Posted: 2/13/2014 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got one of these, scrapes the bolt tail and the ID of the carrier, works as advertised to remove carbon and copper fowling.

By no means required, just makes it easier to be OCD...

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I wait till my son comes home from the Army and have him clean it perfectly....

What makes it better is he is a 1st LT and a registered nurse..so I know its going to be perfect.

In exchange I reload him volumes of ammo to thank him for his service and being a good son.

That is as good as it gets....
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Using MPRO 7 cleaner and Slip EWL lube, I've never had buildup issues. Clean up is easy.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I always wipe everything down with CLP (or something similar), let everything sit for at least 5 minutes and then start cleaning the cleanest parts first, giving the dirtier stuff time to break down a bit more.  An old toothbrush works pretty well on a lot of different parts where it'll fit.   If something is caked on, and not coming off I'll work at it a bit more.  If it's just a little black, but a very thin layer, and not coming off, I'm not terribly worried.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 9:59:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Clp and cat 4 tool.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 3:25:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I agree with the Slip 2000 EWL and I would add that Slip 2000 Carbon cleaner is really good.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I use a brass scraper tool that I bought from brownells to help scrape away the carbon.  A piece of spent brass would also work.  Call me what you want but I scrape away all build up from that area.  Depending upon whatever type clp you use it will determine how hard you have to work to get it clean.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#22]
a .223 stripper clip works on scraping the inside of the bolt carrier
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I just take the bolt apart and clean it after every time I shoot it so it doesn't build up, it might take 3 minutes? Easy preventative maintenance
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Ed's Red
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I have never used any type of metal tool to remove carbon. Soak in a solvent of your choice, there is many to choose from, and use a tooth brush and rag. Don't waste a bunch of time, don't scrape on your parts with metal tools, don't over think it. You're not in the Marines so you don't have to over clean your AR. A little carbon isn't going to hurt a thing. Lube it up and you're good to go. BTW, the carbon on the piston end of your bolt is nothing. You could get it wet and run it as is.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 6:50:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I use carb/brake cleaner for my AR. $2 a can at Wal-mart. A little spray eats away all carbon. If it's stubborn, take a brass bristle brush and scrub it a little. Just make sure and relube everything you spray as carb cleaner will remove everything extremely well. I keep and run my AR wet so it's not a big deal for me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#27]
BERRYMAN/CHEM-DIP carburetor cleaner will get every speck off with no scrubbing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#28]
A $2.00 two inch brass wire wheel and a power drill.

The carbon comes right off the tail. I think I've done this once in five years.  It's not a high priority for me.

Don't care about the carbon I can't see.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 6:26:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Came here looking for recommendations on the same. So a little carbon I get. But are you guys saying that when it builds up like this on the boat tail and also in the carrier where the boat tail sits, not to worry about it? I've been scrubbing this one for 30 minutes!

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh490/billyjack2011/AR/bolt_zpscee1e085.jpg
View Quote

BillyJack,

If you head to the shows some vendors offers for sale dental picks. The other possibility could be is to get a piece of copper sheeting and cut a piece into a narrow triangle. That's the most economical tool I can suggest for you. Keep it safe though cuz copper is scarce and some one will rip it off.

Impala
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I have the CAT M-4 tool and put it inside the Otis M4/M16 cleaning kit. I clean the bolt assembly every 500-600 rounds. It really does not build up that much and a few turns with some solvent with the CAT tool and removes quite a bit of the carbon. I'm not obsessive and my bolt assembly still has some carbon on it even after using the CAT tool.

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Has that carbon on the bolt tail ever affected anything?

I've gone for a documented 10K on a bolt and the carbon just doesn't build up after awhile and it never caused a problem...
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Has that carbon on the bolt tail ever affected anything?
View Quote

Only if you're OCD...
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Bone tool:

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 7:56:44 AM EDT
[#34]
I use an old 45 colt brass to scrap off carbon. Brass is softer than steel.  It fits over the tail end of the bolt head.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top