Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/2/2014 6:50:39 AM EDT
Do you simply add a few drops to the carrier while in the rifle (if so, exactly where) or does it need to be taken out?
After how many rounds, on average, should you lube it at the range?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#1]
At a minimum, squirt a few drops into each of the vent holes in the carrier (through the ejection port).

It's not much additional effort to retract the BCG a bit and hit the gas rings and bolt lugs, as well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At a minimum, squirt a few drops into each of the vent holes in the carrier (through the ejection port).

It's not much additional effort to retract the BCG a bit and hit the gas rings and bolt lugs, as well.
View Quote

Thanks for the quick response. Through the vent holes, huh? Got it.
Seen guys remove the whole BCG after just a few rounds. And though it didn't take much effort, just seemed that for that few rounds, a simple squirt on the carrier from the ejection port would have been sufficient (which is how I did it but I was just squirting it on there willy nilly.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Before heavy range use,straight out of the locker initial prep, I pull the BCG,disassemble and lube all the components by putting a few drops of oil in the exterior and brush it around with a 7/8" stencil brush leaving a sheen of lube on all parts.One drop on the cam pin and gas rings,wipe excess lube off firing pin,reassemble,and finally punch the bore.This is good for about 500 rounds or so with a quality CLP like Weapon Shield etc..

Otherwise if the weapon had been properly PM'd before storage it should be fine for immediate use lube wise(a quality rifle should be capable of running a load out practically dry),but I still like to punch the bore to make sure nothing found its way into the bore while in storage.

At the range if the rifle starts looking dry and feeling gritty I lay the rifle in my lap with ejection port cover facing up put a line of lube along the top and bottom exposed areas of the BCG thru the ejection port.Once that is done pull the BCG back,out of battery,about 3/8" using the charging handle and hold it there simultaneously placing a couple drops of oil thru the carrier gas vents.You will see the gas rings shine thru the carrier vents.Cycle the BCG a few times to spread the lube.That will take just a matter of moments and is good enough for a quick lube.Ive run well over 1K rounds doing this in training.

If the action is contaminated with dirt/dust,I pull the BCG,wipe it and the upper out,relube as I described in initial prep.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep my rifles lubed.
But at the range, I lock back the bolt and place a few drops on the bolt lugs.
Close the bolt, place a few drops in the lube holes, then cycle the BCG half a dozen times or so.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably have rehashed this question a bunch before, but I must have missed any that were directly related to this topic since joining last May.

All these replies are exactly what I was looking for
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I simply don't understand putting lube in the BCG gas vent holes, as the next round fired blows it out at high velocity.  

Everything you need to know is covered in this video by Cory Trapp from NSSF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW4DQ5QlwrA

He even dispels a few common urban legends (gas rings, and lube into the BCG gas vent holes....)

For me: IF I think it needs more lubrication during a range session, I remove the BCG and lube the normal points:
   - 4 rails (load baring surfaces)
   - bolt lugs
   - bolt cam pin
   - I don't lubricate anything else (see video)

You mileage may vary.  Do what makes you happy.

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#7]
If your gun gets dry add oil.  You can squirt some on the rails, and enough that some flows onto the cam pin. Or you can pull the carrier and oil the four rails, teh cam pin, and the bottom.  Whatever works for you.

If your rifle is still lubed, and nnot sluggish from any buildup, then you really don't need to lube anymore unless you think you're going to be firing a lot of rounds in a short time period soon.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 12:21:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I simply don't understand putting lube in the BCG gas vent holes, as the next round fired blows it out at high velocity.  

Everything you need to know is covered in this video by Cory Trapp from NSSF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW4DQ5QlwrA

He even dispels a few common urban legends (gas rings, and lube into the BCG gas vent holes....)

For me: IF I think it needs more lubrication during a range session, I remove the BCG and lube the normal points:
   - 4 rails (load baring surfaces)
   - bolt lugs
   - bolt cam pin
   - I don't lubricate anything else (see video)

You mileage may vary.  Do what makes you happy.

View Quote

Right or wrong,there are two reasons I put lube through the carrier vents(with the BCG pulled out of battery)directly onto the gas rings during use as I described.

1.It keeps oil in and around the gas rings reducing friction,which Im convinced (from personal experience) extends gas ring service life during extended intervals of use between proper PM.

2.It helps keep the carbon that builds up on the outer edges of the rings(particularly the rearmost ring) and in the ring groove of the bolt soft,and the residue floated out.

Is this step absolutely critical to the rifle functioning properly?
Nope, but it sure as hell aids in the cleaning process if nothing else.

Otherwise I follow the lube points outlined in the TM,specifically pages 29-32..
http://www.ar15.com/content/webPDF/TM9-1005-319-10.pdf

Also displayed here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_7/548967_AR15_LUBE_POINTS.html

As for the "urban legend" of staggering the ring gaps,that step came directly from the TM linked above,page 36,so its not internet folk lore.Does it matter either way?Nope.

ETA.
Thanks to the good folks at Slip2000,here is Pat Rogers article on the subject:
http://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-t-magazine-keep-your-carbine-running/
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 6:52:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the link to the Marine manual.  Marines like to run it wet!  I've saved that manual.  If you want to run it wet, this looks like the way.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Use froglube and follow the directions and you won't have to worry about using lube at the range.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Without disassembling the BCG, the only way to get lube on the gas rings (a normal lube point) is through the vent holes.
(ETA Edited - addressed above)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_7/548967_AR15_LUBE_POINTS.html

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't lube at the range.  I just run my rifle(s) and clean them when I get home.  I will say that they are properly lubed prior to firing which means I just pulled them from my safe.  I do a weekly weapons check with my weapons to ensure they are good to go and pmcs.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Per bigbore's tutorial in an archived thread:

One drop on the top of the charging handle
One drop on the gas rings
One drop on the body of the bolt
One drop on the cam pin
One drop on the firing pin
Two drops on the bottom rail of the carrier.
Two drops on the top of the carrier

Thats it. Thats all I ever use, whether I'm plinking at the range for a few minutes, or an all day carbine class. 99% of my shooting any more is suppressed, and that is still all the lube I have ever needed. I dont lube in the receiver, I dont lube my buffer/spring.

Link
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Use Quibs diagram and you will be more than set.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Vzl2-228Y

You can't have too little lube.  I like to run my guns wet.  Maybe not as wet as in the video but I keep them lubed well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Clean and lube after 200 rds.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:48:00 AM EDT
[#18]
If I feel the need, I'll just put some drops on the bolt lug but generally all lubrication is one after cleaning
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#19]
It should be noted that the "bad" way to lube is to get a bunch of stuff down in your chamber and bore during firing. That's the main reason its not ok to just pour a slug of mobile 1 in the side of your receiver between exercises. Though a wet gun is great for function, there is a limit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Vzl2-228Y

You can't have too little lube.  I like to run my guns wet.  Maybe not as wet as in the video but I keep them lubed well.
View Quote
WOW! LOL!!!

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:03:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It should be noted that the "bad" way to lube is to get a bunch of stuff down in your chamber and bore during firing. That's the main reason its not ok to just pour a slug of mobile 1 in the side of your receiver between exercises. Though a wet gun is great for function, there is a limit.
View Quote

The video posted above pretty much debunks your statement.

I run mine wet. After I wipe down a BCG (or clean it), I give the bolt, firing pin, and cam pin a liberal spray of CLP, then assemble. I then spray the entire BCG down and insert it into the rifle. If I feel I've applied too much, I will take a rag lightly to the BCG before I install it into the receiver. There are times that with a freshly lubed gun, after the first shot I get a little bit of oil splash on my safety glasses. When I pull a mag, it usually has some  traces of oil on the top.

It may be a bit excessive, but my guns always run. So, I'll continue to apply "more than I need".

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Love that froglube when it's cold out, it don't go anywhere.
Quoted:
Use froglube and follow the directions and you won't have to worry about using lube at the range.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Running an AR wet will only be a recipe for failure in ONLY 2 conditions:

-moon dust
-really fucking cold

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:53:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Running an AR wet will only be a recipe for failure in ONLY 2 conditions:

-moon dust
-really fucking cold

View Quote

to add to that, the type of cold very few of us would ever willingly go out in
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:28:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I am still very, very new to the AR platform but really am having a hard time wrapping my head around all this lubing and oiling of the BCG during range time, I know it's not the same animal as it's piston driven but with my M1/M1A I have never lubed or oiled anything during a long range outing like in excess of 1K rounds and they both worked fine and with my brand new Spikes I went thru 300 rounds on my first outing and other than the initial cleaning and lube I did nothing until I got home and she cycled just fine so not to sound sarcastic but am I missing something ? like can I damage the AR by not lubeing/oiling at the range ?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:03:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I just tie a string around the end of the bcg and drop it in a quart of mobil 1 10w-30.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:26:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am still very, very new to the AR platform but really am having a hard time wrapping my head around all this lubing and oiling of the BCG during range time, I know it's not the same animal as it's piston driven but with my M1/M1A I have never lubed or oiled anything during a long range outing like in excess of 1K rounds and they both worked fine and with my brand new Spikes I went thru 300 rounds on my first outing and other than the initial cleaning and lube I did nothing until I got home and she cycled just fine so not to sound sarcastic but am I missing something ? like can I damage the AR by not lubeing/oiling at the range ?
View Quote

You won't damage your AR but you should run it wet. The AR is like a sewing machine, it runs better with lube. You can run one wet and dirty as hell but not dry and dirty. As long as your AR is lubed prior to your range session you should be fine. You should take some lube with you if you plan to shoot more than 300 rounds and if you're going to shoot a thousand then you should add some lube for sure.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#28]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXIsKEHo-4g

I use mobil1 red grease, never had a problem
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You won't damage your AR but you should run it wet. The AR is like a sewing machine, it runs better with lube. You can run one wet and dirty as hell but not dry and dirty. As long as your AR is lubed prior to your range session you should be fine. You should take some lube with you if you plan to shoot more than 300 rounds and if you're going to shoot a thousand then you should add some lube for sure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I went to the range again for my 3rd outing with my new toy and went thru another 300 rounds and never lubed once but the Super Lube Syn grease I have been using for several years was still very visible on the BCG and I had applied a light coating after I cleaned it with Hoppes 9 the last time I was out and I am really starting to warm up to BRD but I am collecting a pile of brass
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top