AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/22/2013 10:46:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andrewphillipf]
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#1]
great thread
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Perhaps at some point my corrosion evaluation of 46 products in a side by side comparison can be added to this already valuable thread.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:26:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#4]
Another factor besides the choice of applied rust retardant is the choice of metal, itself.  The use of QPQ SN (nitride) treated steel is becoming popular on barrels, on muzzle devices and lots of rifle parts.  Ever  personally see rust on the slide of a Glock pistol?  Under extreme conditions and given enough time, it can happen, but it is so rare as to almost be in the realm of unicorn spotting.  This nitride process protects a barrel, for instance, both inside and out.   It can survive many days of complete submersion in salt water with no discernible surface corrosion.  And the surface is so hard that it greatly reduces abrasion or scratches that might expose metal to corrosion.  It is well over ten times more resistant to saltwater corrosion than even hard chrome plating.

Some thought should be given to not only what to add to a weapon to retard rust, but also how to use metallurgical advances to reduce or eliminate corrosion at its source without having to rely upon additional surface films.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:22:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maq] [#5]
I have a Flambeau hardcover carrying case. I sometimes keep my AR in there for weeks at a time. It just dawned on me, is that safe practice or does this predispose my AR to rust/corrosion? How long can it be left in a case like this?

Any ideas or thoughts?

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#6]
FireClean, my preferred product, is not found on any of these lists, wish we could get that in here
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:52:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Hi Andrewphillipf,

I just put up a post called "Rust preventatives, do they work as advertised?) Of course I jumped the gun and had not read your post beforehand. I'm going to read it now. Please post or let me know what you think of my content. Thanks, fariagaurd.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone used loctite rust dissolver?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#10]
My suggestion is on rust prevention and friction reduction.

I have found Spray-On brand food grade silicon to be excellent for preserving the finish as well as enhancing it.
Additionally it is part one for my two part lubrication regime.

Once I clean the FCG and BCG with carb choke cleaner, I spray all surfaces with with silicon including the inside of the upper, el biet I don't hose them.
Once finished I lube with either oil or grease.

I believe this offers a great deal of protection against the elements and friction. By spraying all surfaces with silicone they become slick, thus less likely to have something stick to them such as dirt or fouling. Notice I said slick not oily or dripping. The primary wear surfaces or course need more so I apply additional lubrication as needed.

Just my 2$

BTW- on the exterior of the gun the silicone makes it look great
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Like some others, my favorite was not tested.  I concur with the OP in that rust prevention for firearms is a serious issue, depending on where you live and for all who venture afield with their arms.  Ambient relative humidity in my house is 50 percent or more, year round.  Even among those products whose makers claim prevent or at least slow down rust, a few do very well but most fare poorly.  

My favorite is Breakfree Collector, a rather thick oil stocked by Midway, et al. Seems to do a good job.  I keep a cotton patch, wrapped around a q-tip and soaked in this oil, stuffed into the muzzles of all my rifles. That way, I can check them from time to time for any tell-tale brown color.  Interestingly, I don't use any rust preventative on my AR-15 rifles.  They have much less steel and much of that is corrosion resistant (stainless) or plated in some way. - CW
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Here on the Coast of Texas everything rust! CorrosionX or ReelX has worked the best for me and does excellent on Stainless and works pretty good as a lubricant, while there are better lubes, nothing has surpassed it for corrosion protection in the real world
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:50:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#13]
Although I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast with high humidity and within eyesight of the Gulf of Mexico, corrosion protection is well down the list of my lubrication priorities.

I am running Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic as a lube. The Rotella T5 in the test above is a blend and is not full synthetic and does not contain the extra additives for use in high carbon particulate turbo diesel engines that are not unlike our direct impingement rifles. T5 is a lower grade diesel oil. I prefer T6 for its stronger diesel detergent additives which greatly reduce carbon buildup and provides full synthetic lubrication that is impervious to variations in temperature. Since my rifles don't sit out in the rain or don't get thrown into salt spray, and are cleaned fairly regularly, corrosion is has not been a major issue.

The only rifle of mine that spends time exposed to the elements is also my HD carbine. It has a nitride barrel and BCG. Nitride is over ten times more resistant to saltwater corrosion than hard chrome. Think Glock slide.

Of course, the upper and lower are anodized aluminum, as is the free float handguard. Rear folding sight is Magpul polymer BUS. The trigger group, which is hardened steel, is grease lubed.

On the other hand, lubricity of moving parts, ability of the lubrication to remain in place during hard use, and ability to prevent carbon build up and to keep carbon that is present in suspension to simply wipe it off, are higher priorities to me than chasing the ultimate corrosion resistance.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:01:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#14]
Double tap.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 5:36:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desentis] [#15]
Had to post.  I'm surprised no-one tested "RIG Universal Gun Grease".

I was recommended this product at a Florida gunshop (90% Humidity) to protect my dad's guns when we moved there 35+ years ago.  He had all blued older guns and NEVER once fired any of them.

It took me a couple hours to field strip them and apply the vaseline like lube.  But  it's been a long time and they all still look good as new.

Thankfully, I moved to a much cooler and drier state, (almost as far as you can get away) But the guns stayed where they were.

I don't know how well it lubricates, but it exceeded every expectation I had for protection.

Anyway, I don't know if the stuff has changed over the years, but I've got a can of Rig sitting in my supplies in case I ever need to put anything up for a while.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By desentis:
Had to post.  I'm surprised no-one tested "RIG Universal Gun Grease".  

I was recommended this product at a Florida gunshop (90% Humidity) to protect my dad's guns when we moved there 35+ years ago.  He had all blued older guns and NEVER once fired any of them.

It took me a couple hours to field strip them and apply the vaseline like lube.  But  it's been a long time and they all still look good as new.

Thankfully, I moved to a much cooler and drier state, (almost as far as you can get away) But the guns stayed where they were.  

I don't know how well it lubricates, but it exceeded every expectation I had for protection.

Anyway, I don't know if the stuff has changed over the years, but I've got a can of Rig sitting in my supplies in case I ever need to put anything up for a while.
View Quote

I did a test of RIG by taking an Old Timer folder, applying RIG to it, and leaving it in the medicine cabinet in my bathroom for about 12 years. No rust or corrosion. Not scientific but it convinced me. I was also concurrently using it  on guns I was not regularly shooting and got good results.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I love this stuff - looks like Eezox did well
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Just read a post in the Geissele sub forum where the member uses Renaissance Wax to coat the exterior metal components like receiver extension castle nut and anything potentially susceptible to rust.  I’ve used the stuff on a lot of things but never this.  Curious if anyone else has used this successfully on their guns?
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jkid1911:
Just read a post in the Geissele sub forum where the member uses Renaissance Wax to coat the exterior metal components like receiver extension castle nut and anything potentially susceptible to rust.  I’ve used the stuff on a lot of things but never this.  Curious if anyone else has used this successfully on their guns?
View Quote

Yes sir, every gun I own gets a nice coating, works very well from what I can tell.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top