Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
10) Make sure gas rings are "clocked" correctly

Is a known fallacy, pointless.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 11:21:22 PM EDT
[#2]
You are not going to wear off the finish unless you go full retard on it. Do you wash your car till the paint comes off? No, once the dirt is of you stop...same with a gun. Even if you tried the much much softer bronze, brass and nylon tools will be worn and gone long before the much much harder steel will show any wear.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#3]
If you shoot it, clean it. I spent thousands on my builds and take care of my investments. If I need them to run,  they will.

I use breakfree CLP and spray in on the upper and lower receivers, then wipe it out with paper towels. Use Q tips and clean out the lug area and brush out the bore. Then break down the bolt carrier group and  wipe off the deposits.

You don't need to go crazy and have it 100% spotless, just ready to fire again.
ARs love oil so the bolt and rings needs several drops when you put it back together. A light coating everywhere else.

A  good cleaning on my rifles takes 30-45 minutes. This is also a good time to inspect for damage or wear items thet may need service down the road.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top