Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2011 7:55:45 AM EDT
-Barrel is 4150 Chromoly Vanadium Alloy, M4 barrel extention, Chrome chamber and bore, 5.56mm Nato chamber, 1:7 Twist.
-Magnetic particle tested barrel, with a Phosphate finish.
-Forged Mil-Spec carrier key, Chrome lined, attached with Grade 8 hardware and Properly staked.

What do you guys suggest for cleaning solvents on a chrome lined barrel?
Will certian sovents damage the hard chrome?
Is a nylon brush suffiecnt for cleaning?
Do you need to lube the barrel as much compared to a non-chromed barrel?

Please gentlemen, your thoughts..
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#1]
no different than any other material.

Any comon gun cleaner will work.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Its a little different, its got this alloy coating in it called Chrome. Which to my understanding is only a very thin layer over the steel. So it could be susceptible to wearing off if overly cleaned or soaked in a really astringent solvent.

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a little different, its got this alloy coating in it called Chrome. Which to my understanding is only a very thin layer over the steel. So it could be susceptible to wearing off if overly cleaned or soaked in a really astringent solvent.

The chrome lining makes your barrel MORE durable, not less.  No special treatment is needed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#4]
A Chrome lined barrel is actually a pretty normal thing.  Overly cleaning is kinda hard to do however improper cleaning can be of concern.   If using a brush, especially a harder brush, never change direction of movement while the brush is in the barrel.  Some people don't really feel the need to use a brush in the barrel bore anymore with today's more modern chemicals.  Using a properly sized Jag with cloth seems good enough for the bore.  The chamber however may need the occasional scrub.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This may help you understand just what is in your bore.
read me.

If you clean your rifle  in the same manner as you would clean anyother rifle no harm will ever come from it, provided you clean your rifle as you should and not some cleaning  idea that uses a die grinder or dewalt drill.

Any normal (Walmart) gun cleaner will work.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Depending on the ammunition and distance you shoot, cleaning the chamber may be more important than cleaning the bore.  If you're shooting 100 yards and less at eight inch targets with steel cased ammunition then accuracy (cleaning the barrel) isn't going to be as important as reliability (cleaning the chamber).  This is especially true if you plan to train with steel cased ammo and later shoot brass cased ammo (see box of truth).

I prefer to use MPro-7 products but there are many other products that work.  I use bronze bore brushes and chamber brushes because that's what MPro-7 recommends in their cleaning guide.  It's my belief that a chamber brush is essential.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Breakfree CLP is what the Army uses.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Depending on the ammunition and distance you shoot, cleaning the chamber may be more important than cleaning the bore.  If you're shooting 100 yards and less at eight inch targets with steel cased ammunition then accuracy (cleaning the barrel) isn't going to be as important as reliability (cleaning the chamber).  This is especially true if you plan to train with steel cased ammo and later shoot brass cased ammo (see box of truth).

I prefer to use MPro-7 products but there are many other products that work.  I use bronze bore brushes and chamber brushes because that's what MPro-7 recommends in their cleaning guide.  It's my belief that a chamber brush is essential.

I'm shooting Federal American Eagle .223 55 Gr. Fmjbt for plinking. And 5.56x45mm PMC X-TAC M855 FMJBT 62 Grain Steel Core for zombies and such...
Thanks for your input man. I think I should be GTG with the cleaning set-up I have now. But I will invest in a chamber brush in the future.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Breakfree CLP is what the Army uses.

Thats good to hear, I just picked up a can of that the other day. Haven't tried it yet.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This may help you understand just what is in your bore.
read me.

If you clean your rifle  in the same manner as you would clean anyother rifle no harm will ever come from it, provided you clean your rifle as you should and not some cleaning  idea that uses a die grinder or dewalt drill.

Any normal (Walmart) gun cleaner will work.

Thanks for the input, helpful article.. I'm picking up what you're laying down..
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#11]
This is not the same thing as the chrome plated bumpers on the Griswald family station wagon.

Industrial hard chrome is very durable.

I hard chrome my IPSC pistols and the finish is amazing

Chrome lined bores are common in M14, AK-47, M16A1, etc, most military rifles.

Here's what I do.

field strip
spray off gunk with WD-40, dripping wet.
or brake cleaner

run bronze bore brush and chamber brush.
run dry patch

clean bore with Hoppe's #9, Butch's Bore shine, what ever you like, using a bronze bore brush.

may let it soak for a bit while I clean the bolt/carrier,

dry patches till it's clean.

I use DEWEY brand coated cleaning rods so I don't mess up the crown.

I make extra sure the chamber and locking lugs on the barrel extension are clean

I strip and clean the bolt/carrier, and lube her up.

I use MOBILE 1 5W30, but CLP, FP-10, or any decent gun oil is fine.

I have read that some strong bore cleaners are hard on chrome,  but as long as you don't soak them for weeks at a time, I wouldn't worry about it.

I've been cleaning chrome lined barrels since 1985 without trouble

M16 chamber brush

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the fiber brushes from Brownells.  Other than that, pick your cleaner and use it.  They all work to one extent or another.  Don't overthink it.  You have a military grade rifle.  It's not meant to be treated gently.  If you don't want to hurt it, don't shoot it or handle it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a little different, its got this alloy coating in it called Chrome. Which to my understanding is only a very thin layer over the steel.  

Chrome plating, often referred to simply as chrome, is a technique of electroplating a thin layer of chromium onto a metal object. The chromed layer can be decorative, provide corrosion resistance, ease cleaning procedures, or increase surface hardness.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I cleaned my new chrome lined barrel the first time with JB paste. I scrubbed the first few inches ahead of the chamber thoroughly and got quite a bit of black material out of it.  - CW
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#15]
For the bore just run a bore brush down it a few times followed by patches

For the chamber get a chamber brush, insert it and twist, then pull it out and get a path and soak up the excess oils

ETA: make sure you put oil, i use clp, on the brushes and patches never Run a dry brush or patch
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top