User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#1]
This item is great as it has all the fittings on the one tool.

http://www.magna-matic-defense.com/CRT-15-Carbon-Removal-Tool-p/crt-15.htm

http://www.magna-matic-defense.com/v/vspfiles/photos/CRT-15-11T.jpg
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 1:08:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I use a flat screwdriver, not one of my good ones of course. Works fine and the bolt suffers no ill effects.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
To start, dental picks.  Dental picks, QTips and pipe cleaners are a god-send for cleaning an AR.
Here's how I've done it and I'm meticulous about a clean bolt and bolt carrier; soak the entire bolt and bolt carrier in RBC(Rifle Bore Compound, aka, bore cleaner), clean the rest of the weapon using your dental picks, QTips, pipe cleaners, etc. and then hit your bolt first, then finally you get to focus all your attention on your BC.  By this time it should have been soaking for a good five minutes or more. Use your dental picks and QTips to scrape, swab and reapply RBC until the carbon is gone.  All in all takes maybe five minutes to clean your bolt carrier.  Then let it all dry and relube with your favorite lube.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Use a dremel with a small brush?  
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Plastic bottle with one part CLP + 3 parts deoderized mineral spirits.
Submerge and let soak overnight if time allows.  
Blast with a gun solvent like Breakfree Cleaner, MPro or Gun Scrubber.
Wipes down clean.
Re-lube and install.  Done.

Prefer not to scrape with tools unless in a rush.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 12:57:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well, what if someone were to have used a screwdriver?

I actually did this today, I carefully used a small flat head to try and scrape the larger deposits. All that same out was black stuff, no metal shavings of any sort and I didn't see any scratches when I kept checking it as I was cleaning. Think any harm was done?

I think at this point, I will just use some of these methods mentioned.

I'm also curious about this. In the future I will not worry about the bolt tail as much but I didn't know better the first time I cleaned it, which was today. I did use a small flathead to carefully scrape some carbon off. What is so bad about this? Isn't the CAT tool doing the same thing?
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

this thing looks great, but $30 for it? c'mon. this is why people buy chinese knock offs. thats a rip.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnadINwJjIzAP3VYx6OD_TLnV_yz2P8ab1LFCLgwl2DcYtvSQD&t=1

I just bought one today and used it tonight for the first time. It's not a rip at all, cleaning the bolt and carrier takes all of 30 seconds and it works great. Made in the USA with a lifetime warranty. Of course you can wait till the Chinese knock offs show up and buy one of theirs. Some of us just like well made tools and this is one handy tool.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 6:17:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The thought of scraping it with a screwdriver makes me cringe.

Ya no kidding

I have cringed from seeing the results of that on too many M16s.  Looks like somebody had a cold chisel down in there.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The thought of scraping it with a screwdriver makes me cringe.

Ya no kidding

I have cringed from seeing the results of that on too many M16s.  Looks like somebody had a cold chisel down in there.  

Thats because some people dont understand when they should stop and how much pressure is too much. I use an old cleaning rod. Its softer than the BCG metal and I dont force it. Looks the same as when I bought it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Hoppe's and 0000 steel wool wrapped around the erase end of an old pencil.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Ultra Sonic Cleaner  Put Hops #9 in to cover the BC and turn on. A few minutes later carbon floats off.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Soak it with CLP, then take a cleaning patch and center it around the small end of a cleaning brush, soak the patch, insert, and rotate. Repeat a couple of more time until clean.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 4:48:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you have a couple extra bucks to spend these are great.  A fantastic company to deal with too!

http://catm4.com/

+10

The CAT tool is great for cleaning carbon from the bolt carrier.  When I get a carrier that is really bad I soak it in my carb cold tank over night, comes out all spiffy like.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top