Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 5:05:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Engine oil was not meant to be used as a gun lube.

FN Herstal recommends CLP that meets MIL-PRF-63460 and that is what I use for everything.

And yet it seems to do a better job than CLP at keeping things lubricated for longer periods of time.

Go figure.

Thats the thing. If it was just a matter of cost, I would stick with breakfree. But these days I dont get to the range as often as I used to, and I notice if my guns sit unused when I go to the range they are dry inside. With Mobil 1 they are as wet as the day I lubed them, even if its been months since I last got them out.

And as for cleaning, it is much easier to clean my AR after a ton of wolf when lubed with Mobil 1 compared to breakfree. No problems using it as far as function goes, whats not to like?
The smell while shooting.

I use Royal Purple 10w40 synthetic on purpose, so I'm not trying to bust your balls.  I 100% agree with your statements about staying wet/lubed between range days and the easy clean-up after shooting.

But the honest answer is that some people (me included) don't like the smell.

I guess with my perpetual state of having a sinus infection I could lube with cat shit and not notice the smell

Actually though I have noticed a slight smell when hot, not enough for it to be a down side to me though. Someone with a funtioning sense of smell it may be a different story.

Link Posted: 7/5/2010 5:12:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a Colt Ace with the floating chamber that used to freeze after 50-60 rounds, I used break free and it was better, around 100 rounds before it froze, then I tried Mobil 1 and now it will fire until my hand gets tired and the chamber will fall out when I take it apart and the carbon will wipe off with a patch.
I lube the bolt of my AR15 with Mobil 1 and the carbon wipes right off, no scrubbing required. It may not solve all lube problems, but it works well in some applications.

That is the biggest difference besides staying wet I have noticed, Mobil 1 seems to keep the carbon in suspsension instead of letting it bake and cake on the BCG. I am not anal about keeping my ARs white glove clean, but for someone that is this would be the ticket.

About the only reservation I have left is if long term the Mobil 1 will effect the finish in any way or have any negative effect on the polymer frame of my glock or M&P. Cant imagine it would but after all it is not a gun lube by design.

Link Posted: 7/6/2010 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#3]
The statement in blue I'm not sure about. I just attended an AR15 armorer's course and the instructor recommended the 2:1 mix of Mobil1 oil to Mobil1 ATF. This was a different instructor than the one that recommended th same mix in the carbine instructor school a few months back.

Next time you run into someone that recommends this, please ask them where they are getting their info.  I bet you either get a blank stare or they saw it on the net or something.

I have some familiarity with lubricants and I can tell you that there is not ONE reason to do this.  Straight motor oil is a much better gun lubricant than is ATF.  And mixing chemistry like this is never good idea.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 7:07:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The statement in blue I'm not sure about. I just attended an AR15 armorer's course and the instructor recommended the 2:1 mix of Mobil1 oil to Mobil1 ATF. This was a different instructor than the one that recommended th same mix in the carbine instructor school a few months back.

Next time you run into someone that recommends this, please ask them where they are getting their info.  I bet you either get a blank stare or they saw it on the net or something.

I have some familiarity with lubricants and I can tell you that there is not ONE reason to do this.  Straight motor oil is a much better gun lubricant than is ATF.  And mixing chemistry like this is never good idea.

The only time I'd mix ATF with anything would be to make a batch of Ed's Red.  I'm no chemist, but it seems that the properties of ATF would be suitable in that application, which is mostly a cleaner/solvent mixture.

For straight-up lube, I like 10W-30 Mobil 1 just fine. As has already been said, carbon just wipes right off when the bolt has a coating applied inside and out.

My regimen is this: Bore and chamber gets cleaned with Ballistol, followed with a dry patch or two. Inside the upper and all bolt surfaces get wiped down with dry paper towels. Mobil 1 goes on and inside the bolt. Works for me.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a Colt Ace with the floating chamber that used to freeze after 50-60 rounds, I used break free and it was better, around 100 rounds before it froze, then I tried Mobil 1 and now it will fire until my hand gets tired and the chamber will fall out when I take it apart and the carbon will wipe off with a patch.
I lube the bolt of my AR15 with Mobil 1 and the carbon wipes right off, no scrubbing required. It may not solve all lube problems, but it works well in some applications.

That is the biggest difference besides staying wet I have noticed, Mobil 1 seems to keep the carbon in suspsension instead of letting it bake and cake on the BCG. I am not anal about keeping my ARs white glove clean, but for someone that is this would be the ticket.

About the only reservation I have left is if long term the Mobil 1 will effect the finish in any way or have any negative effect on the polymer frame of my glock or M&P. Cant imagine it would but after all it is not a gun lube by design.

after over a year of use I have seen no discoloration or anything of that nature to the rifles finish or any deterioration to any polymer that mobil1 has come in contact with.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only time I'd mix ATF with anything would be to make a batch of Ed's Red.  I'm no chemist, but it seems that the properties of ATF would be suitable in that application, which is mostly a cleaner/solvent mixture.

For straight-up lube, I like 10W-30 Mobil 1 just fine. As has already been said, carbon just wipes right off when the bolt has a coating applied inside and out.

My regimen is this: Bore and chamber gets cleaned with Ballistol, followed with a dry patch or two. Inside the upper and all bolt surfaces get wiped down with dry paper towels. Mobil 1 goes on and inside the bolt. Works for me.

I'm not saying that mixing oil and ATF is the right way to go, I'm just letting you know what I've been told.  I won't claim it works until I've had a chance to actually test it myself, and I haven't.

I will say that the reason I'm willing to try it is because this mix has been used for several years in all the carbine classes taught at the academy.  That is alot of shooters with alot of rifles firing alot of rounds.  It has worked well for them, so I figure it's worth a try.

As for where the info came from, I have no idea who devised the idea originally but there is a crusty old attorney/gun nut that speaks at the classes and claims to have looked at the properties and additives of high quality gun oils and this oil/ATF mix and claims they are very similar.  Again, I make no such claim as I don't have the knowledge or expertise in lubricants to make such a claim.  That said, if it works well I will probably use it.  Why it works is far less important to me than if it works.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been reading threads about using synthetic motor oil to lube guns and motor oil vs. gun oil that pop up on different forums for a while now and I finally have to jump in and share some of my experience.  I've used different kinds of lube and what I learned is that I simply spent alot of money over the years on different products that all basically do the same thing.  Royal Purple works, Mobile 1 works, TW25B grease works, Slip 2000 EWL works, GunButter, Machine Gunners Lube and Bob Marvel's gun oil all work and I'm sure many others I havent tried all work too.   Just use whetever works for you and what you feel good with using.

My buddy that I shoot alot with uses Royal Purple (20W50 if I'm not mistaken) to lube his ARs and he's still using the same bottle that he bought well over a year ago.  So a 1 quart bottle of motor oil may last alot longer than 4oz of TW25B or EWL but I just simply prefer those.  I just recently started using the TW25B grease and I really like it.  I do not mix lubricants because I've seen bad reults happen with that and I do not use CLP.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems  there are 2 sides to this argument, those who THINK  Mobil One doesn't work and those who KNOW it does.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Seems  there are 2 sides to this argument, those who THINK  Mobil One doesn't work and those who KNOW it does.

Well, put me in the catagory of KNOWS it works. Didnt make it to the range this weekend, but I did clean my AR a little while ago from the last two weekends at the range. It had had about 500 rounds over two trips through it, when I broke it down it was still WET inside. I will not say there is no other lube out there that will not stay wet, even on the bolt, after 3 weeks and 500 rounds, but its the first lube I have used that does this and I doubt there is another lube that costs me what Mobil 1 10w 30 does for a quart.

Again, while cleaning the rifle the BCG was very easy to clean, I had a couple of chunks of carbon I had to scrap off the tail of the bolt with my thumb nail. For the most part it was mostly a wipe down with a rag wet with breakfree CLP, clean out the chamber with the chamber brush, tooth brush the inside of the barrel extention as best as I could, a few patches down the bore, relube and done.

I still do protect the steel surfaces with breakfree for corrosion protection as from the research I have done Mobil 1 is not all that great in that department, but for a pure lube its what I am going to use from now one. YMMV.

Link Posted: 7/11/2010 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well being an auto technician I can give you some general but no specifics in the gun world........ ATF goes through a completely different refining process and is designed for long term use unlike motor oil to resist any buildup ...... basically it has some cleaners processed into it so crap cannot build up in an automatic trans....  while still offering lubricating properties for the trans .........  carbon buildup in a gun is similar to carbon buildup in a car.....

I have seen the internals of many transmissions and can say I have seen trans fluid burnt and broke down to severe levels but the trans still remains spotless inside except for the fact of broken down clutch fibers and friction plates that settle to the bottom of the trans pan

This is not correct.  ATF is typically of lower grade oil than is motor oil.  It is also thinner.  The reason your transmissions look cleaner than an engine is because it is a sealed unit.  Engines constantly have combustion byproducts being dumped into it and that is why you have to change your motor oil so much more often.

ATF doesn't have to contend with this.

ATF, for guns, is inferior to motor oil in every way.  The fact that police agencies are teaching people to mix them is very scary.

Guns generate WAY more debris than is seen in an engine.  That is why a good CLP will be formulated differently than a motor oil.

Motor oil will lube guns just fine though in most situations.

You can disagree ......that is why everyone has opinions.....but a true fact is that ATF is loaded with way more detergents than motor oil........   sealed unit..... NO   an auto trans still builds internal pressure and has a breather system to vent...such as the GM 4L60E has a vent dead center top middle of the case..... and the trans is filled with friction plates that do break down under normal use........

there are tons of detergents in ATF to prevent friction material to build up internally in a trans   along with a magnet in the bottom  of the pan to collect fine grindings off of the steel plates in between the friction plates....

ATF is a stronger cleaning agent than motor oil.......ever heard of putting ATF in your gas to clean a carb or injectors??????    thats a way old scool trick in the car world...........
mixing of ATF and motor oil for gun use gives it better carbon resistance and excellent lubrication.......
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

there is a third group who thinks Mobil 1 MIGHT work but don't care because we use gun lubricants meant for guns....  
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Mobil 1 works better than anything else I've tried. It makes cleaning very easy and keeps my gun running for many thousands of rounds. Why would I use anything else?
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You can disagree ......that is why everyone has opinions.....but a true fact is that ATF is loaded with way more detergents than motor oil........   sealed unit..... NO   an auto trans still builds internal pressure and has a breather system to vent...such as the GM 4L60E has a vent dead center top middle of the case..... and the trans is filled with friction plates that do break down under normal use........

there are tons of detergents in ATF to prevent friction material to build up internally in a trans   along with a magnet in the bottom  of the pan to collect fine grindings off of the steel plates in between the friction plates....

ATF is a stronger cleaning agent than motor oil.......ever heard of putting ATF in your gas to clean a carb or injectors??????    thats a way old scool trick in the car world...........
mixing of ATF and motor oil for gun use gives it better carbon resistance and excellent lubrication.......

Then I'm sure you can show me oil analysis to prove your point?  I can to make mine.

ATF has MUCH LESS detergents than does motor oil.  It also has less Anti Wear additives.  The combustion by products that come out of an engine are far worse for oil than are the friction plate debris.  They are much bigger and are mostly filtered out.  The air vent doesn't allow combustion by products in, unlike cylinder gap.  The temps in a trans are also not as high in the cylinder area of an engine.

Putting ATF in an engine is old school because it doesn't work and burning ATF can be very bad for a catalytic convert due to the additives in the lubricant.  Mixing chemistries is not a good thing.

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

there is a third group who thinks Mobil 1 MIGHT work but don't care because we use gun lubricants meant for guns....  
There are those who think that Mobil-1 MIGHT work, and there are those
who wonder what all this 'The world might be round?' talk is all about.  (I suspect they may be some of the same people.)  

Those of us who use it already know it works.  Just because you don't use it doesn't nullify that.  Please, the 'MIGHT work' is just a little condescending.  You don't need my blessings, I don't need your pity.

I've yet to see actual proof that a weapon using Mobil-1, or my personal favorite Royal Purple, has sustained damage from the use.  I've seen much evidence of lube slick parts and  easy clean up after shooting with the synthetic engine lubes that some of the authorized gun lubes can't duplicate.

Go ahead and use what you want, we both know my opinion isn't a factor in your decision.  So far, this is still a free country.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

There are those who think that Mobil-1 MIGHT work, and there are those who wonder what all this 'The world might be round?' talk is all about.  (I suspect they may be some of the same people.)  

Those of us who use it already know it works.  Just because you don't use it doesn't nullify that.  Please, the 'MIGHT work' is just a little condescending.  You don't need my blessings, I don't need your pity.

I've yet to see actual proof that a weapon using Mobil-1, or my personal favorite Royal Purple, has sustained damage from the use.  I've seen much evidence of lube slick parts and  easy clean up after shooting with the synthetic engine lubes that some of the authorized gun lubes can't duplicate.

Go ahead and use what you want, we both know my opinion isn't a factor in your decision.  So far, this is still a free country.  

an engine is under far more stress for a much longer duration than a rifle.

if you shoot 1k rounds your bolt has cycled 1k times. each cycle is two movements of the carrier and the bolt.. if you drive at highway speeds chances are your engine is doing more than that in one minute.

now your rifle does not have a oil filter, but how many people will shoot 1k rounds without cleaning or at least applying more oil?

with that said yes quality motor oil is good shit. with that said i use a quality grease, but if motor oil was the only thing at hand i would feel fine with its use in my carbine.

Merdoc

edited.....typo
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#16]
mobil 1 oil & wheel bearing grease rule!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Merdoc

edited.....typo
Speeling don't count on ARF.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I'm sure you can show me oil analysis to prove your point?  I can to make mine.

ATF has MUCH LESS detergents than does motor oil.  It also has less Anti Wear additives.  The combustion by products that come out of an engine are far worse for oil than are the friction plate debris.  They are much bigger and are mostly filtered out.  The air vent doesn't allow combustion by products in, unlike cylinder gap.  The temps in a trans are also not as high in the cylinder area of an engine.

Putting ATF in an engine is old school because it doesn't work and burning ATF can be very bad for a catalytic convert due to the additives in the lubricant.  Mixing chemistries is not a good thing.

OK    putiing it to the exact point.....ATF does not have detergent chemistry......it has dispersants......which act like detergents.........and yes ATF is not designed to withstand under combustion and so on......but the heavy amount of dispersants in it clean very well

Since ATF's do not see blow-by gasses, there is no need for the same concentration or type of detergents. What ATF's need most, in the form of additives, are anti-oxidants, anti-foamants, and the proper mix of Friction Modifiers (such as sulfurs, chlorines, phosphates, and esters).

The dispersants prevent rust and act as a cleaner .....similar to WD-40
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#19]
+1 On using Breakfree CLP for cleaning and Royal Purple for lube. I decided to try it after 2 of my cars got 1.5 to 2 better MPG after I switched to Royal Purple. Try this: take 2 1911's and clean and lube one with CLP. Clean the second with CLP and then lube with Royal Purple. Put them in the safe for a week. Come back and work the slides. The Royal Purle gun just seems way slicker. I have used CLP for 20 yrs on all my guns and was happy but after trying Royal Purple for lube I am convinced it is better. They now make Royal Purple synthetic gun oil in a 4oz spray can, but it is $9.95 and I could not tell a difference in slickness from the motor oil which is $7.95 a quart. Just my thoughts. God Bless, and keep your powder dry.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Mobil 1 works better than anything else I've tried. It makes cleaning very easy and keeps my gun running for many thousands of rounds. Why would I use anything else?

I think the Military stays away from this because of cost..

Link Posted: 7/13/2010 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#21]
wow..... I had no idea this was such a polarizing subject., but after reading the all the threads, the one that is gonna make me try Mobil 1 is this.....(Paladin's comment)..."Seems there are 2 sides to this argument, those who THINK Mobil One doesn't work and those who KNOW it does."

'nuf said for me....I'll see how it works.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 3:54:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
wow..... I had no idea this was such a polarizing subject., but after reading the all the threads, the one that is gonna make me try Mobil 1 is this.....(Paladin's comment)..."Seems there are 2 sides to this argument, those who THINK Mobil One doesn't work and those who KNOW it does."

'nuf said for me....I'll see how it works.

Thats the thing, see for yourself. In all the threads on this subject, I have yet to run across anyone that claims it will cause harm to use Mobil 1. Its rare that anyone says it wont work, usually it goes into a discussion of automobile engine requirements for lube Vs those for firearms.

I am sure there are dedicated firearm lubes that work just as well as Mobil 1, maybe some better I dont know. But I have yet to see one that works as good for $6 a quart. YMMV.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 12:10:32 AM EDT
[#23]
As others have stated, there is a lot of passion about what kind of lube to use.

On a side note:

I do agree with ShakenNotStirred in his assessment on the miltary's policys/doctrine on cleaning, lube, and maintenance of weapons. I was trained in the early 80's and we over cleaned our weapons and that cleaning was considered the preventive maint. on the weapons.

No inspecting gas rings, checking bolt carrier keys, etc, etc, etc. (stuff we, as ARF.com members, do without even thinking about it).

Now as to lube...

I have used LSA, CLP, LP, and now, Mobil 1 synthetic grease.

The bottom line is that any lube that keeps lubricating under what ever conditions you subject your weapon to is the right lube.

If you go to the range once in a while and bust off a few rounds at a leisurely pace, then just about anything will work.

Run your weapon hard and you'll need something that does not cook-off/evaporate.

For me, I chose synthetic grease cuz it is what works well under the conditions that I subject my carbine to.

Your milage may vary.
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I asked AJ at Spikes today (since I was there ), and he said they recommend Break Free CLP, or the Miracle stuff in the white bottle.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone used Mobil 1 on a 9mm AR?
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

There are those who think that Mobil-1 MIGHT work, and there are those who wonder what all this 'The world might be round?' talk is all about.  (I suspect they may be some of the same people.)  

an engine is under far more stress for a much longer duration than a rifle.

if you shoot 1k rounds your bolt has cycled 1k times. each cycle is two movements of the carrier and the bolt.. if you drive at highway speeds chances are your engine is doing more than that in one minute.

now your rifle does not have a oil filter, but how many people will shoot 1k rounds without cleaning or at least applying more oil?

with that said yes quality motor oil is good shit. with that said i use a quality grease, but if motor oil was the only thing at hand i would feel fine with its use in my carbine.

Merdoc

edited.....typo

Man

who shoots a 1000rds
Maybe in a Class
I dont see it in the real worl for us civis !
After 500rds Im Bored

I dont use Mobile 1 or even tried it!
I do know most oils can be used to keep a  clean AR15 running!

Link Posted: 8/9/2010 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#27]
When the zombies are coming, I don't expect to have a lot of time between reloading mags to clean and lube more than the bare minimum.

I've torched off a little over 600 rounds of milsurp in a day more than a few times, and I always clean and lube in the evening because (as I've said in multiple threads) the milsurp is corrosive.  I do like to run it wet, and I've found that the lube tends to keep the carbon in suspension.

It's mostly comforting to know that after 20 mags, with a few squirts of synthetic lube during the day, the unit is mostly in need of a wipe down more than a thorough scrubbing.

I don't fool myself into believing I'm mimicking combat conditions in any way, I just know that it'll keep running through what I can throw at it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I have used Breakfree CLP for over 20 years with no problems. I am not a high volume shooter or military but it works for me. The most one of my ARs has gone between cleanings is about 300 rounds. I had no issues due to the use of CLP. However I do have an unopened quart of Mobil 1 10W-30 that I am going to try out the next time I get to put a quantity of rounds through my rifle. I don't use that weight oil anymore so I may as well use it on guns instead of just letting it sit around unused. I will always continue to use CLP for rust protection. My safe is not in a climate-controlled environment and I have never had the least bit of trouble with rust.

When I first joined this site CLP seemed to be the most recommended for everything. Now reading some of these comments it sounds like using CLP is the equivalent to dry sand. It's bad to see a thread like this degrade to a pissing contest, but I'm not surprised.

Link Posted: 8/13/2010 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I have used Breakfree CLP for over 20 years with no problems. I am not a high volume shooter or military but it works for me. The most one of my ARs has gone between cleanings is about 300 rounds. I had no issues due to the use of CLP. However I do have an unopened quart of Mobil 1 10W-30 that I am going to try out the next time I get to put a quantity of rounds through my rifle. I don't use that weight oil anymore so I may as well use it on guns instead of just letting it sit around unused. I will always continue to use CLP for rust protection. My safe is not in a climate-controlled environment and I have never had the least bit of trouble with rust.

When I first joined this site CLP seemed to be the most recommended for everything. Now reading some of these comments it sounds like using CLP is the equivalent to dry sand. It's bad to see a thread like this degrade to a pissing contest, but I'm not surprised.

Not to put too fine a point on things, but when whale oil lamps came out they supplanted tallow torches.

Neither is the hot ticket anymore.

I use and prefer synthetic motor oil, so far.  I have no doubt it will be improved upon, and there will be hold-outs who still use CLP.  

ETA: hell, maybe it'll be the new/improved CLP that does it, and that'll be OK too.

Link Posted: 8/13/2010 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not to put too fine a point on things, but when whale oil lamps came out they supplanted tallow torches.

Neither is the hot ticket anymore.

I'll say! My whale oil lamp keeps melting my rifle's handguards and I'm going broke replacing them after everytime I have to clear a building in the dark!

+1 on the synthetic motor oil, though. Great stuff, slick as snot and it never dries out.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top