Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2017 12:44:21 AM EDT
Hi all,

Fairly new to the AR-15 club, bought an ATI Omni Hybrid to start a build on and went out to shoot it and put about 500 rounds through it so far. I started having some jamming issues when after as little as 2 rounds the gun would cycle a new round but then jam. It seemed as though the round would get jammed being fed into the barrel, not during ejection. I also notice that it generally would jam as the gun got hotter and I am not sure if heat has anything to do with it, though I figured the gun should be able to still fire and function while somewhat hot (disregarding the fact that the gun will wear faster when hot and etc). Hoping for some insight as to what might be the issue here and how to troubleshoot, whether it be just an overheating problem or not.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#2]
The barrel does have feed ramps and that is actually where the round is getting snagged on, as if the corners of the feed ramp dig into the brass and get caught on it. I actually did just pick up a new magazine as well to try out.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hi all,

Fairly new to the AR-15 club, bought an ATI Omni Hybrid to start a build on and went out to shoot it and put about 500 rounds through it so far. I started having some jamming issues when after as little as 2 rounds the gun would cycle a new round but then jam. It seemed as though the round would get jammed being fed into the barrel, not during ejection. I also notice that it generally would jam as the gun got hotter and I am not sure if heat has anything to do with it, though I figured the gun should be able to still fire and function while somewhat hot (disregarding the fact that the gun will wear faster when hot and etc). Hoping for some insight as to what might be the issue here and how to troubleshoot, whether it be just an overheating problem or not.

Thanks
View Quote

My friend was having a similar issue, I hear this is common.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Hoping it could be a follower issue and a new mag will solve it. But it is not double feeding the round, after firing a round it will eject and cycle perfectly until it grabs the lip of the next round, at this is point it basically gets caught feeding into the barrel. Could it be that the round gets caught on the feed ramp and then the bolt slips over the round and jams?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Hoping it could be a follower issue and a new mag will solve it. But it is not double feeding the round, after firing a round it will eject and cycle perfectly until it grabs the lip of the next round, at this is point it basically gets caught feeding into the barrel. Could it be that the round gets caught on the feed ramp and then the bolt slips over the round and jams?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you clean and lubricate the gun before you went out the first time to shoot it?

When ARs are new, they need to be broken-in before they become reliable shooters.  A new gun has a lot of extra friction that goes away after the gun has been shot, and the moving surfaces have a chance to smooth out and get used to each other.  Lubrication is important to the operation of the gun.  The moving parts are balanced by springs, and weights, and the additional friction present in a new gun can keep it from working properly.

What brand/s of ammo are you shooting?  Cheap foreign (Russian) ammo is not consistent in quality of materials and is usually develops lower gas pressure than U.S. made M855 and M193 ammo, which can cause functional problems.  Foreign made ammo is often coated with lacquer or plastic, which accumulates in the chamber and barrel and can cause difficult extraction and chambering.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I had not cleaned or lubricated the first time I shot a couple hundred rounds. After that I did clean and lube the gun and its moving components. Obviously theres no way of knowing for sure but how many rounds through a new gun do things begin to straighten out? For the most part I've been using UMC Remington ammo or ammo similar to that, nothing ridiculously cheap or foreign.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:33:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Remington .223 ammo is often underpowered.  I don't recommend any Remington ammo.  I find their .22 rimfire to be underpowered, dirty shooting, and unreliable.

I recommend Federal Lake City M855 or M193 Surplus 5.56mm.

300-500 full power rounds gets the break-in process off to a good start.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#10]
UPDATE:

Went out to shoot the gun again and now I am thinking that the bolt isn't cycling all the way back for a few reasons. 1) after firing the last round in the mag the bolt does not stay open when cycle 2) When the gun does cycle it will either not even cycle the next round or jam as previously described. So when it does jam maybe it is the bolt not catching the back of the round to push it forward and instead just catching and digging into the side of the brass.

Any more help on how ways to resolve this would be greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#11]
After further inspection the gas block is loose to the touch and twist slightly back and forth. Could a loose gas block be the cause of short stroking?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#12]
That's a bingo.  Is it pinned or are there small screws underneath?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:17:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a bingo.  Is it pinned or are there small screws underneath?
View Quote
There are small screws, well screw.. there is one screw and another threaded whole which a screw possible fell out of? if that possible? As for tightening and lining up the gas line, how do I make sure that is done correctly, just tighten the screw again?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:20:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are small screws, well screw.. there is one screw and another threaded whole which a screw possible fell out of? if that possible? As for tightening and lining up the gas line, how do I make sure that is done correctly, just tighten the screw again?
View Quote
Theres your problem.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:41:43 AM EDT
[#15]
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u436/dalessandroc/IMG_2119_zpscrqxmmuy.jpg

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u436/dalessandroc/IMG_2116_zpsnyw3v8uz.jpg

Here are the images of the bottom of the gas block. Still figuring out the AR configuration here so bear with me, are there generally 2 screws that go into the gas block, so I am missing one?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:48:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Yep, you're definitely missing one.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top