Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2017 9:36:25 PM EDT
My 11.5" carbine length gas system is ejecting at 1 o,clock when shooting 50gr-62gr if I shoot 75gr it ejects perfectly at 3 o'clock. To me this sounds a bit backwoods shouldn't it eject more forward towards 1 or 12 o'clock once grain is higher?

I do have an adjustable SLR 7 gas block but if I dial it down even one notch the bolt does not lock back unless I'm shooting the 75gr. Also this gun is suppressed. Anyway at the current setting it was running reliably but it was ejecting at 1 o'clock on the lower grain ammo. Also I noticed the 50gr was only ejecting a few feet is that alright?

The gun is a frankin built noveske 11.5" h2 jp gen 2 SCS, JP lmos bcg and a sleep sentry 7 gas block.

I'd like it to shoot 50-77gr reliably cold or hot weather and so far so good. Just trying to figure things out so all your help is appreciated.

Edit; I could be over thinking this the 62gr seemed to be ejecting at close to 2 o'clock only the 50 seemed to eject around 1 or 1:30. This all still seems backwards though shouldn't a heavier bullet cause more gas? The shells probably ejected out to 3 foot or so, so from what I've read thats good.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:07:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you considered that each round has different powders? Different burn rates different amount of gas.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:48:28 AM EDT
[#2]
It's fine, just shoot it
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:40:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you considered that each round has different powders? Different burn rates different amount of gas.
View Quote
No I'm a total Newby. So should 75gr cycle faster than 50gr or is it totally dependent on powder?

I find it odd my gas block has 16 settings but I'm only really cycling between setting 3 and 4 from closed but I guess that could be because it's suppressed. It just seems super finicky. At setting 2 it won't cycle at all at setting 5 out 6 it starts to over shoot the boy release and catch on the magazine.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:41:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's fine, just shoot it
View Quote
I plan on doing just that but I wouldn't mind maximizing is reliability.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No I'm a total Newby. So should 75gr cycle faster than 50gr or is it totally dependent on powder?

I find it odd my gas block has 16 settings but I'm only really cycling between setting 3 and 4 from closed but I guess that could be because it's suppressed. It just seems super finicky. At setting 2 it won't cycle at all at setting 5 out 6 it starts to over shoot the boy release and catch on the magazine.
View Quote
Cyclic rate will depend on many things.  Propellant is a big one though.

Don't get wrapped around that ejection angle thing.  Unless you are have other problems, do not worry about ejection angle.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lighter weight bullets use more powder. Higher powder volume contributes to higher port pressures and therefor faster bolt speeds. What you are experiencing is normal.

You can reduce the bolt speed with lighter bullets by switching to faster burning powders. H-4198 is the fastest burning powder that can work in an AR-15, I use 20.5 grains with 52/53 grain match bullets and some rifles will function, some will not. New rifles have a harder time with this powder choice than my well worn rifles.

H-322
AA-2015
VihtaVuori N133
RE-10X

These are all good choices and use higher charge weights than H-4198. They will all function an AR without issues when loading 55 grain or lighter bullets. Most M193/M855 uses relatively slow for caliber ball powders and lots of it. The powders I listed use between 22.0 and 24.0 grains to drive a 55 grain bullet. G.I. ball uses ball powders (nitroglycerine added) and have charge weights closer to 27.0 grains +/-. Port pressure is much higher because of it, as is bolt speed.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lighter weight bullets use more powder. Higher powder volume contributes to higher port pressures and therefor faster bolt speeds. What you are experiencing is normal.

You can reduce the bolt speed with lighter bullets by switching to faster burning powders. H-4198 is the fastest burning powder that can work in an AR-15, I use 20.5 grains with 52/53 grain match bullets and some rifles will function, some will not. New rifles have a harder time with this powder choice than my well worn rifles.

H-322
AA-2015
VihtaVuori N133
RE-10X

These are all good choices and use higher charge weights than H-4198. They will all function an AR without issues when loading 55 grain or lighter bullets. Most M193/M855 uses relatively slow for caliber ball powders and lots of it. The powders I listed use between 22.0 and 24.0 grains to drive a 55 grain bullet. G.I. ball uses ball powders (nitroglycerine added) and have charge weights closer to 27.0 grains +/-. Port pressure is much higher because of it, as is bolt speed.
View Quote
Wow this is great information thank you.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I was expecting some one to tell me to put a heavier buffer or bcg in.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:51:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Great more good info. Next time I'll keep some shells and inspect them. I'm a mechanic by trade and I deal with plenty of timing jobs none of which seem to be a hard as the simple has system on an AR. I feel like there should be a pretty simple formula for these things and I guess the actually is but once you step outside the basic setup fine tuning them is I guess a bit harder.

Anyway, thanks for more great info.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top