Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2017 7:48:18 PM EDT
This is a pic of my nephew's AR. He just noticed it and sent me this pic. I haven't seen it in person yet. What could cause this wear around the edge of the buffer? Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Buffer retainer hole drilled to far back?  Are there noticeable wear marks on the buffer retainer pin, like the buffer is hitting it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buffer retainer hole drilled to far back?  Are there noticeable wear marks on the buffer retainer pin, like the buffer is hitting it?
View Quote
I'll check that when I see it in person.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Happened to me before. Most likely a burr on the back of the bolt carrier. That's what it was for me. Easy way to tell it's not the buffer retainer pin is to watch the upper and lower close. You can see the bcg push back on the buffer right before it shuts all the way. Then you know it's not even hitting the pin.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had this problem before and I'd be willing to bet it's due to the buffer retainer, but in reality the lower is out of spec for that hole. You can tell him to either chuck the buffer in a lathe and knock down the edge or purchase an offset buffer retainer pin. I wouldn't run that rifle until he does one or the other. Commonbullets.com offers the offset retainer. Other than that, a different lower.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I had 2 cheap lowers that I bought back in the scare to make truck guns out of that did this. I went with the offset retainer for the fix till I get them replaced, lesson learned.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:04:00 AM EDT
[#6]
It's an Anderson lower and most everything else is PSA.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Deserves a phone call to Anderson if the bcg doesn't push back on the buffer when closing.  Other than that as mention a bur on the end bolt carrier will at times mar the heck out of buffer but generally the damage looks a bit different.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Check the buffer retainer first, sometimes they sit too far back in the lower as mentioned and the buffer hits it with every return stroke.

However, in my experience, this is more often caused by a burr on the rear of the carrier.  It usually at the hard, straight edges of the buffer retainer pin channel as shown here.  The reason the marks traverse the circumference of the buffer face is because it will rotate a bit with each cycle, so the marks eventually cover the whole way around.

Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Anderson was what mine was too. I had mine for a couple years before I built them, so I was stuck. If its a new purchase definitely send it back.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top