Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/27/2017 9:45:24 AM EDT
Morning all, I got a 2012 LE6920 that I added a 14.5 Colt Socom barrel to over a year ago. This rifle ran great with the 16" barrel. Now with the 14.5" I'm getting an occasional Failure to feed, looks like bolt over ride on about one round every 100 or 200 rounds. I got this barrel new from a distributor. H factory buffer, various factory brass ammo. Usgi mags with and without magpul followers. Rough chamber or undergassed? But the bolt always locks to the rear on last round, always. Weapon is cleaned every 100-200 rounds. I installed barrel myself and have done multiple builds. Everything is lined up and true. No gas leaks that I can see, key is on tight, tube is perfect and gas rings are great. I have not tested Pmags yet.

Any thoughts
thanks Billy
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I would go the pmag route first and run some rounds see what happens.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bolt locking back on the last round means that the rig is full stoking correctly to begin with.

Would suspect there either the mag needs to be pulled down and CLP clean, The mag spring may be on the way out such as a weak spring/ mag feed lips bent open, of something else suspect with the mag.

Also, double check to make sure that the mag release threaded section end is flush with the face of the mag release button, and that the mag is not only being retained correctly in the mag, but retained the correct height as well.

Lastly, pull all the way back on the charging handle and make sure that the face of the stops 1/4" to 1/8" in front of the back edge of the ejection port window, and that during the last inch of the CH pull, the tension does not become greater on the lash in of the pull.

If the last inch of pull becomes much harder, then suspect either hammer wedge or something in the receiver extension causing the problem, or since a carbine receiver extension in play with carbine buffer (depth of the buffer void should only be 7"), the recoil spring should only be 10.5" long.
View Quote
Cleaned up Colt really good last night. Just text fired 100 rds Hornady soft point 223, 100 rds 55 gr ball handloads and 20 rds factory 5.56. 200 rounds total in PMAGS. No issues. 20 in factory Colt 20 rounder. 220 total zero issues.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bolt locking back on the last round means that the rig is full stoking correctly to begin with.

Would suspect there either the mag needs to be pulled down and CLP clean, The mag spring may be on the way out such as a weak spring/ mag feed lips bent open, of something else suspect with the mag.

Also, double check to make sure that the mag release threaded section end is flush with the face of the mag release button, and that the mag is not only being retained correctly in the mag, but retained the correct height as well.

Lastly, pull all the way back on the charging handle and make sure that the face of the stops 1/4" to 1/8" in front of the back edge of the ejection port window, and that during the last inch of the CH pull, the tension does not become greater on the lash in of the pull.

If the last inch of pull becomes much harder, then suspect either hammer wedge or something in the receiver extension causing the problem, or since a carbine receiver extension in play with carbine buffer (depth of the buffer void should only be 7"), the recoil spring should only be 10.5" long.
View Quote
Just wanted to say that is a really well done reply.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top