Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/23/2017 3:27:21 PM EDT
well this probably isnt even worth asking buuuut i went out to the range today and my 556 was double and triple firing when it did fire...when it didnt fire it was because the hammer was following the bcg forward. it kinda bothered me at first and when i opened it up the fcg pocket was pretty gunky...and then realized that was the lower i had been swapping out uppers on and it hasnt been cleaned in over 1000 rounds of brass and steel cased and almost 2 yrs...
UPDATE
ok i said screw it and went back out tonight after cleaning it real good...its still shooting doubles...i'll be buying a new milspec fcg and pitching the old one...

one question though...is it normal for fcg's to go bad between 1000 and 2000 rounds? i mean it still looks like the day i bought it...
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Check your trigger pin. I got double and triples due to it once. Replaced pin and no more doubles, etc. I do not know about a dirty lower causing that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#2]
This needs immediate attention. Clean it and consider replacing the trigger assembly something is not right and its the type of something that can send you to jail so a new trigger is a cheap fix.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it a lighter-than-mil-spec trigger?  If so, are you sure you weren't free recoiling and getting a bump fire?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
nope standard milspec...zero problems until now
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#5]
The only thing that I can imagine causing that is a gooped up or broken disconnector, but the AR doesn't really deposit much grit into the trigger group, so I would think the part is faulty. I would replace the trigger group. You can get an enhanced polished trigger, similar to ALG, for as low as $30 and it doesn't really take any special tools to install (a punch helps but you can use a small screwdriver).

Edit - I reread that there was goop in there. How did it get there? Still I'd replace the FCG.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like the OP uses some kind of 22lr setup . They will for sure blow all sorts of crap down into the trigger.

Hose the thing out with carb cleaner , break cleaner or even WD40 . Yeah , it wouldn't hurt to take it apart but just hosing it down should fix stuff if dirt is the issue.

I am thinking the disconecter or some springs are FUBAR. All cheap to replace.
Some danger if it is going full auto (mostly in spraying rounds up over the berm or backstop.
Most any public range or gun club is not going to be much of a fan either
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Sometimes when a disconector gets worn it can cause full-auto by accident. I would clean and check your trigger group.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#8]
A broken hammer pin caused it to happen to me.  This was on a 9mm.  

I also F'd up and put an ALG small pin FCG in a Colt large pin lower.  From doubles to 5 in a row would occur.  

It is best to wear your glasses when assembling a rifle. 
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#9]
ok its a 556 but i had the 556 bolt and the 22lr conversion bolt both out there today...and its not a "public range" per say..its a sand pit 2 miles away 95% of the time we are the only ones out there.
So i took it all apart and cleaned it all, springs and fcg parts looked to be good to go, i'll take it back out tomorrow and test it out and if it needs a new fcg then so be it...

i'll report back when i shoot it...
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#10]
ok i said screw it and went back out tonight...its still shooting doubles...i'll be buying a new milspec fcg and pitching the old one...
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#11]
also did a function with the upper on and off, with it off everything worked great, when i put the upper back on and pull the trigger the hammer falls...with my finger still on the trigger i rack it and let it slam forward and baaaarely let off the trigger and then and only then the hammer will fall again without the trigger all the way released...
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:32:57 AM EDT
[#12]
As stated a hammer pin that has walked will do it IME. Had to use KNS pins once on an 8.5" 5.56 because it was pushing the hammer pin out in recoil and doubling.

Other than that just inadvertent bump fires.

Definitely hose out your lower and if needed swap FCG.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
also did a function with the upper on and off, with it off everything worked great, when i put the upper back on and pull the trigger the hammer falls...with my finger still on the trigger i rack it and let it slam forward and baaaarely let off the trigger and then and only then the hammer will fall again without the trigger all the way released...
View Quote
So its firing on reset? Sounds like disconnector. No that's not normal for 1-2k rounds.

Consider an ACT trigger group.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#14]
no pin walking issues, they fit nice and snug
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So its firing on reset? Sounds like disconnector. No that's not normal for 1-2k rounds.

Consider an ACT trigger group.
View Quote
yes but only if the bcg goes into battery fast, its like the different pressure on the hammer jars it enough to trip disconnector
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#18]
so...i took it apart again just to check the dissconector spring and was in fact upside down...flipped it right and it function test fine...so to the range i go with an extra dissconnector just in case....weird it has worked this long with no problems?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
so...i took it apart again just to check the dissconector spring and was in fact upside down...flipped it right and it function test fine...so to the range i go with an extra dissconnector just in case....weird it has worked this long with no problems?
View Quote
Huh hopefully that fixes it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Huh hopefully that fixes it.
View Quote
nope  sure didnt and i tried 2 different dissconectors...got a new fcg on the way...
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I swapped my disco, disco spring, hammer spring, trigger spring, pins, buffer, and BCG and the problem I was having disappeared.

I need $ at the moment so now its fixed I'm just going to dump this AR. Build another later I've got several others and a couple stripped lowers.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Topic Moved
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top