Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2017 5:19:56 PM EDT
I tried a search but no returns so please forgive me if this has already been covered elsewhere or at another time.

Cleaning my rifle, I found a touch of hardened blue-green powder on the bolt tail and in the gas tube. Blue-green, of course from my study of Chemistry eons ago, is almost always indicative of copper but I'd like to make sure there isn't something else wrong. What do think and what can I do? Thanks in advance.

(This better?)
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
CSS
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#2]
your pics aren't working,  but it's normal

hoppes #9 or similar bore solvent combined with copper jacketed bullet
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for that. What graphic hoster can I use? I tried Flickr and it doesn't seem to be working either.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for that. What graphic hoster can I use? I tried Flickr and it doesn't seem to be working either.
View Quote
You're just doing it wrong.  You need to use the BBCode link on Flickr

ETA, like this:

Blue-Green Deposit by ifconfig, on Flickr

And YIKES! I've never seen residue like that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow that looks like toothpaste gunked on there

What do you use to clean and lube ?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:35:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I've seen oxidized copper residue that bad on a bolt tail before (.mil gun).  Just requires a lot of firing, no cleaning, and it needs to sit for a while.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I get blue-green copper residue in my BCM Mod 1 brake.  I don't do anything about it.  Never had it on a bolt tail.

+1 for LSA ... been using the stuff for 30+ years.

ETA: I use LSA for general lubricating.  I use Royal Purple and Slip2000 on my BCG.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#9]
break free CLP hasn't had teflon in it in many years
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:...PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene) is teflon, and its just the new formula has less amounts in it that the old formila; so you don't get the  teflon  settlement on the bottom of  on the new forumla when it stored and not shaken for a while in a clear bottle ....
View Quote
I stand corrected,  I had a brain fart, and was thinking Trichloroethane

which the old stuff had . . . also had the thick white teflon beads.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the replies, folks! Really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've seen oxidized copper residue that bad on a bolt tail before (.mil gun).  Just requires a lot of firing, no cleaning, and it needs to sit for a while.
View Quote
I was going to say, I've never seen that before.  This post cleared it up for me.  I clean after every range trip.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top