Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2017 8:50:01 PM EDT
I have taken barrel off and installed a couple times.  Now to time the free float adapter it does not get to at least 30 ft/lbs.

I have another barrel nut and free float adapter, try that first?

Or get some barrel nut shims?

Thanks in advance

mm
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Just go higher to when it times right. Ain't milspec 40 FOOT pound?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I would have to go full revolution of nut/adapter to get beyond 30.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Got a pic? Your talking full revolution of the barrel but right?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#4]
The spec is 30-80 ft lbs for a GI barrel nut and most aftermarket are similar.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#5]
30 foot pounds is the minimum as has already been posted. I use high temperature wheel bearing grease and torque to 35 foot pounds and loosen two times to season the threads. Then I increase the torque 5 foot pounds at a time until the until the gas tube lines up perfectly without binding.

Some float tubes don't require barrel nut timing because they aren't tall enough to get in the way of the gas tube. On those I use 35 pounds twice then simply torque the barrel nut to 55 foot pounds and call it good.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top