Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2017 11:42:27 PM EDT
I have a stretch 16 barrel on a rifle that I use for 3 gun. The rifle has been an awesome performer for the first thousand rounds. Until now....

The rifle has been ripping cases in half. The accuracy has also gone from under 1 MOA with federal gold metal match to about 2 to 3 MOA. The rifle has also been starting to short stroke.

I checked the rifle with a no go gauge tonight and the rifle chambered with the no go gauge. I checked the rifle with 2 different bolts.

Any ideas on what happened to my barrel? I am guessing I just need to get a new one, but due to the low round count and high price of this barrel I was thinking it would last way longer.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:11:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:27:36 AM EDT
[#2]
The round count is between 1500 to 2000.

The barrel has an intermediate gas system and has always been a soft shooting barrel. I can't imagine the gas port would be eroding, but I definitely could be wrong.

I am going to try and call the barrel manufacturer on monday and see what they say, but I am not sure how helpful they will be.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:39:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you have another BCG?

Try swapping to see what happens.

Sounds like the bolt is either not completely locking before ignition, or the bolt is unlocking prematurely.

Could be due a defective/worn cam pin or damaged locking lugs on the bolt itself.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:55:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I have tried another BCC. No difference.

I bought a new bolt for it too. Didn't change anything. I guess I can try and get a new cam pin now.

I had to buy a new bolt for this rifle because one of the lugs broke off of the old bolt.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Check your gas block yet? Loose gas block could do it. What type you have, set screw? clamp?

Edit- well probably not, ripping cases and short stroke not likely occur the same like if gas block issue. Sounds more like chamber issue.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check your gas block yet? Loose gas block could do it. What type you have, set screw? clamp?

Edit- well probably not, ripping cases and short stroke not likely occur the same like if gas block issue. Sounds more like chamber issue.
View Quote
Gas block is secure.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At less than 2K, could just be build up in the barrel that really needs to be cleaned (including cleaning the crown as well).

Hell, you don't state what FS or brake in on the rifle, and in regards to 2K of rounds with most breaks, between muzzle fouling build up and plasma erosion to the brake, the lack of accuracy could by all right there from just those two.  Also, if you have been shoving a cleaning rod down the muzzle to clean the rifle (instead of inserted from the chamber), could have screwed up/worn out the last inch of bore, and that is going to cause the barrel to shoot like shite as well.

As for ripping the cases in half, again combo of over function, and could even be that the chamber really need to be scrubbed clean with chamber brush and good copper solvent like Sweets copper solvent.  Hell who knows, and you may have a ring of cracked off  neck brass stuck in the last of chamber cut, it cause the over function from the reduced blow by at firing forming of the cases, and this is causing the over function instead.

Or could just be shite hammer and recoil spring that went weak too fast, and this is allowing the bolt to unlock too soon isntead.  Normally, the recoil and hammer spring are changed out about every 4K rounds, but if you ended with cheap import springs made from inferior metal, could explain the problem with the bolt unlocking too fast instead.

So again, pull the barrel, give it the needed cleaning with a good copper solvent, and then start checking it out.  The chamber should be smooth as a babies ass with no reamer chatter of grooving, the crown should be perfect with no flaws, and the last of the bore rifling should be just as sharp as the rest of the rifling.  If you are running a brake, check out the inner blast sections for plasma wear and if it too great, then the brake needs to be replaced.
To note, when installing a brake, do not over torque it, or you will stretch the last inch of bore (last of threads to the shoulder section), causing the barrel to shoot like shite as well.
View Quote
Flash hider is the BCM gun fighter comp. It is installed with shims and torqued to about 35 foot pounds as this is what Griffin Armament suggested. I have the Griffin shims on the rifle since I have a M4SDK that very rarely gets put on the rifle.
Trigger is a Geissele SSA-E. The trigger probably has 10,000 rounds on it. (This is the second barrel that has been on this gun. The first barrel was a stainless barrel that started having accuracy issues around 8 to 9000 rounds.)
When I clean the barrel I always insert the rod from the chamber side.
About 200 rounds ago I cleaned the rifle with butches bore shine. I spent a couple hours cleaning the barrel. It didn't seem to help.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I found the problem. One of the lugs on the barrel extension is broken. The front side of the lugs separated and was bent into one of the open spaces between the lugs.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top