Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/4/2017 8:05:33 PM EDT
My friend just moved out of New York. He has an NY compliant MP15 AR with a stubby grip and non threaded barrel. We've been working to convert it into a "normal" AR. The bolt for the grip has a Keps Nut type head. It is not coming loose and makes a popping noise when torque is applied.

I have built four AR's and have not seen this issue. My guess is a heavy loctite coating. Advice?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Take the FCG out and put some Kroil on the end of the screw
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I can confirm that the kroil is not working, unfortunately. I have advised my friend to use heat next.

On that note, in the past I have stuck the entire upper receiver in the oven to heat it up (stuck barrel). Is the lower receiver and parts rated for that kind of heat or is a soldering iron the way to go?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:51:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Remove the bbl nut, soak the extension area with penetrant. Heat gun on the nose of the receiver, bbl should pull free. Wooden dowel (inserted through the receiver) and deadblow will coax it out also.

Is the grip screw a Phillips head or capscrew?

If capscrew, drill the head off, drill a pilot hole and use an extractor.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you thought about using a Dremel tool to cut the grip off and leave the screw head exposed where you could grab it with a set of vice-grip pliers?
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I will advise my friend to do this next or take it to a gunsmith. Any recommendations in the Tampa area?

Also can confirm that S&W did not do this from the factory. Probably the seller for liability reasons.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the help!

My friend informed me that it has finally come loose with a very liberal use of a torch (enough to get the receiver red hot).

It turns out the culprit was an extreme excess of red loctite, enough to cover the screw top to bottom.

And that's the story of how a New York AR left the state and got its freedom.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top