Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2017 5:10:18 PM EDT
New build. RRA.556 16"upper , spikes , the jack lower. 30 round hex mags blocked to 15 (nj) ...  During live fire weapon functions flawless and after last round the bolt locks back open as it should. When I depress the magazine release button, the bolt moves forward. I've never seen that happen before. Any idea's or suggestions?? I'm stumped.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the bolt actually being held back by the bolt release?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
What stock and stock screw are you using? I encountered the very same issue when using an A1 stock with an A2 stock screw; the screw protruded into the buffer tube and prevented the bolt from locking back properly. Cutting the screw solved the problem.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the bolt actually being held back by the bolt release?
View Quote
Yes, I double checked.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What stock and stock screw are you using? I encountered the very same issue when using an A1 stock with an A2 stock screw; the screw protruded into the buffer tube and prevented the bolt from locking back properly. Cutting the screw solved the problem.
View Quote
Good question. I'll look at that
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yep, before you drop the mag, look to make sure that the bolt catch is in front of the bolt face, and not just under the carrier instead.

If the bolt is not in front of the bolt face, then suspect some sort of binding going on that is not allowing the bolt to come all the way back,

Hence pull all the way back on the charging handle, and confirm that the face of the bolt come back to about 1/8" to 1/4/ in front of the back edge of the ejection port window, and during the CH pull, the tension needed to pull back on the CH to get the bolt all the way back does not increase from about half way back, to all the way back (hence did not use a full lenght spring in a telescoping receiver extension, and the spring is coiling binding out before the end of the buffer and reach the end of the tube).

Next, shotgun the upper open, and insert a empty mag.  The bolt catch should be fully raised via the empty mag follower.  If the catch is not fully raising all the way up, then first confirm that the catch is not binding in the upper receiver slot, and when you did install the catch spring and buffer, you did clean out the bottom of the spring channel in the lower receiver of any debris.

Lastly, the normal ejection distance for a spent case should be 10' to 15' out of the ejection port.  If your rig is just dribbling out the spent cases, then suspect problems like a leak in the gas port,some other binding going on, or even too heavy of a buffer for the rounds being used.
View Quote
I didn't check the buffer tube spring length. The M4 Tele stock had to be pinned before it shipped, (NJ AWB bullshit) so I'm not sure what length it is. I had spikes pin the stock at position 5.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top